• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Can't you use the same press with the factory crimp die? I personally would get a Lee Classic(not value) turret (I use). You can use as a single stage too. I have a Lee Breech Lock challenger but rarely use.
    DK Firearms

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The Lee Breech Lock Hand Press will give you enough pressure and is portable. Any single stage will do.
    But if you are going to get a press and a die, why not spend a few more dollars and get the die set with a factory crimp die? That way you can use that to reload as well.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Can't you use the same press with the factory crimp die? I personally would get a Lee Classic(not value) turret (I use). You can use as a single stage too. I have a Lee Breech Lock challenger but rarely use.
    Not sure. I don't have a press to check. I'm using the lee classic loader kit and using a rubber mallet to neck size, seat and crimp lol. I knew this would get me into buying into a press quickly.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    The Lee Breech Lock Hand Press will give you enough pressure and is portable. Any single stage will do.
    But if you are going to get a press and a die, why not spend a few more dollars and get the die set with a factory crimp die? That way you can use that to reload as well.

Looking into this option now.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

I think for the 45-70 you have to buy the factory crimp separately.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I think for the 45-70 you have to buy the factory crimp separately.
    This is correct. The 3 die set from lee doesn't include the crimp die.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Looks like the lee factory crimp die is going to be my savior. Which single stage press would be best for this die?

Factory crimp die for rifle rounds is good to go.

The operation that requires the most leverage is probably swaging or resizing. Crimping does not take a lot so any single stage should suit you fine.

Or, you could just face the inevitable and spend the money and get a better single stage or lee classic turret and accept you're in for a penny, in for a pound. :)

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Factory crimp die for rifle rounds is good to go.

The operation that requires the most leverage is probably swaging or resizing. Crimping does not take a lot so any single stage should suit you fine.

Or, you could just face the inevitable and spend the money and get a better single stage or lee classic turret and accept you're in for a penny, in for a pound. :)
    $250 later just ordered the Lee 3 die set, resizing die, ram prime tool and lee single stage cast press. I know a turret will come eventually. Guess I need to clean off the work bench.

I'll save this lee classic reloader for SHTF senerios. Seems to work great for cast bullets.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    $250 later just ordered the Lee 3 die set, resizing die, ram prime tool and lee single stage cast press. I know a turret will come eventually. Guess I need to clean off the work bench.

I'll save this lee classic reloader for SHTF senerios. Seems to work great for cast bullets.
    Did you order the separate factory crimp die too? I would also suggest getting the Lee mounting brackets so you can switch out Lee presses easily. Money money money.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

If you're spending that kind of money anyway, you should just go ahead and jump up to a Dillon 550.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Did you order the separate factory crimp die too? I would also suggest getting the Lee mounting brackets so you can switch out Lee presses easily. Money money money.
    I did order it separately. Although I am a bit unclear if the lee seating die also crimps.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I did order it separately. Although I am a bit unclear if the lee seating die also crimps.
    The Lee seating die can crimp but may deform case. The factory crimp die will be the way to crimp. If you haven't I would consider an ammo checker as well. Lyman makes one. Money money money.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    The Lee seating die can crimp but may deform case. The factory crimp die will be the way to crimp. If you haven't I would consider an ammo checker as well. Lyman makes one. Money money money.

I second this based on the fact that I have deformed cases using the seating die to crimp as well. Worth the extra money to get a factory crimp die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom