Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When I first read a description of the Laugo Alien, I thought it was a great idea.
    • It employs the gas retarded blowback action that I love so much in my H&K PSP but moves it atop the barrel to keep the heat away from the hand.
    • The interchangeable top plates make it easy to go back and forth from irons to red dots.
    • The fixed barrel should make for good accuracy.
    • The super low barrel axis (see the pic) and gas operation should greatly mitigate recoil.
    • The simplicity of the design should make it very affordable.
    Just based on the first paragraph I read about it, I wanted one.

Then I come to find out they've decided to push it to the top end of the market with expensive external machining to make it look cool.

And they slapped it with a $5K MSRP for the initial production run that will be strictly limited to 500 units.

Now when I look at the Alien, for some reason, the Bren Ten keeps popping up in my memory.

What do y'all think?

Alien-spec-box.jpg

Photo credit: recoilweb.com

Attachments

• Alien-spec-box.jpg
      Alien-spec-box.jpg
      268.9 KB · Views: 1,117

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Couldn't miss this,
    "The simplicity of the design should make it very affordable".

Imagine how much it would cost if it wasn't a simple design .
    Yeah, that's what irritated me. It really is a simple design with fewer parts and fewer moving parts than anything comparable. If the business plan were to move a bunch of 'em, that design could be produced for less money than other full-size 9mm pistols.

I shouldn't be surprised, though. I've often commented that if you want to be profitable, sell stuff to rich people in lower volume with a much higher profit margin. That's the path these guys have taken and it makes business sense...no matter how much it chaps my relatively penniless butt. :)

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    for $5,000 nope. The design would have been better off without all those big ugly cuts on the slide. What do you do when you saturate the rich folks market and they are not selling anymore.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I had never heard of it before, but dug up some info on it. Pretty interesting design - I wonder what the registered part will be. The fire control group is partly on the bottom frame and partly on the top frame. The top part being designed to be interchangeable for different optics.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is anyone pre-ordering the Laugo Alien?

I'm interested in pure accuracy test results but I can't find any online. I'm beginning to think that I'll have to buy one to satisfy my curiosity. :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looks like it has a really odd shaped magazine. Doubt I’ll over have one, but it’s a pretty interesting design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    So, at $5,000.00 per pistol and only 500 being produced (or so they say, my guess is they probably will produce more but without them being the signature edition) they stand to haul in $2,500,000.00. I would bet that even it being a new design, they are making quite the net haul. Other than it being an oddity right now, I see nothing in its design or function that makes it worth 5K - at least not worth it to me. Of course, I could be wrong about it not being worth it - it may well become a collectors item, that is the signature edition with the signature of the designer, and go way up in value for those who have big bucks to spend. So, it may be an excellent investment - then again - maybe not.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom