• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Most FFL's can place orders direct with most manufacturers. Depending on the manufacturer, they may gladly take your order, but it could be years before they could fill the order.
    Perhaps things have changed then. A while back, the large manufacturers sold solely to distributors and very large retailers who did distributor level volume.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I've got plenty of ammo but my lowest stock is on Fiocchi 32acp. Just happened to look online and it's doubled in price or more where you can find it. So I guess a run on all calibers.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Perhaps things have changed then. A while back, the large manufacturers sold solely to distributors and very large retailers who did distributor level volume.
    I managed all the purchasing for an indoor range just 5 years ago and had direct accounts with Sig, CZ, Springfield, Kimber, Magpul, Blackhawk as well as others. Granted, there were minimum buy in's, the price at times was cheaper than going through a distributor, but you never knew when your product would arrive.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I managed all the purchasing for an indoor range just 5 years ago and had direct accounts with Sig, CZ, Springfield, Kimber, Magpul, Blackhawk as well as others. Granted, there were minimum buy in's, the price at times was cheaper than going through a distributor, but you never knew when your product would arrive.
    So it has opened up some, but you find yourself on the "if we have anything left at the end, we'll ship to this guy" list.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Not in the industry any longer. Many of the manufacturers set their build schedule in the beginning of the year based on orders coming in from distributors/forecasting. The builds are spread out and usually, not always, when they hit their number they stop. Some manufacturers only make a certain amount of any particular model per year, so it can take several years to get an order filled. I know with CZ, I placed an order every 6 months with my CZ rep, and 3 years later I got ALL of a certain model at once. Same thing happened with Kimber and Remington. Let's just say when the bill came for those they were not small, and I was stuck with them.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Ummmm....NOPE! Truth is, up until a month ago, my 9mm pistol hadn't been shot in quite some years. At least six years, maybe more. I shoot lots of 44's and 45's though. I have never gotten around to getting the reloading stuff for 9mm.

I am having thoughts about changing that though.

I haven't reloaded any 9mm either due to its previous low cost. I do have several thousand rounds though to use and then reload.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Not in the industry any longer. Many of the manufacturers set their build schedule in the beginning of the year based on orders coming in from distributors/forecasting. The builds are spread out and usually, not always, when they hit their number they stop. Some manufacturers only make a certain amount of any particular model per year, so it can take several years to get an order filled. I know with CZ, I placed an order every 6 months with my CZ rep, and 3 years later I got ALL of a certain model at once. Same thing happened with Kimber and Remington. Let's just say when the bill came for those they were not small, and I was stuck with them.
    So they are still operating like it is the 50's. No wonder many of them have struggled.

I didn't think there was an industry left that laid out a production schedule lasting a full year.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Old car parts work this way kind of. Tires in particular. It is my understanding they only make a run every five years or so of the old style antique tires.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    So they are still operating like it is the 50's. No wonder many of them have struggled.

I didn't think there was an industry left that laid out a production schedule lasting a full year.
    Glock was famous for it. I used to make sure I had plenty of specific models in stock before Thanksgiving to last me until February as they often would finish up, shut down and would take them a while to get going again. Not sure if they are that way now.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    . As I mentioned, I am giving some thoughts on starting to reload 9mm and 223. Started searching the equipment and supplies this morning.

I feel like you're a bit late to the party. Not to be discouraging but unless you have primers and bullets on hand already, it will take a while to start producing. I do believe it's never too late to start reloading, really for any caliber.

It truly puts into perspective the potential of different chamberings. I'd highly recommend Xtreme bullets (9mm) but my latest order was placed on June 24th and it has not shipped and prices have risen 10-22% on the same items since then.

Fingers crossed they don't " cheaper than dirt" me and cancel the order only to have the marked up version available.
    I had minimized my 9mm production as well over the last few years because I couldn't make quality ammo for less than 7.50$ per 50. Luckily I do have enough powders, primers and projectiles to pump out a few years worth of rounds.

Same goes for the 223. When it was hitting 25-28 cpr I was only loading a few boxes here and there. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying a barrel full of it. Life goes on though and here we are.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

I feel like you're a bit late to the party. Not to be discouraging but unless you have primers and bullets on hand already, it will take a while to start producing. I do believe it's never too late to start reloading, really for any caliber.

It truly puts into perspective the potential of different chamberings. I'd highly recommend Xtreme bullets (9mm) but my latest order was placed on June 24th and it has not shipped and prices have risen 10-22% on the same items since then.

Fingers crossed they don't " cheaper than dirt" me and cancel the order only to have the marked up version available.
    I had minimized my 9mm production as well over the last few years because I couldn't make quality ammo for less than 7.50$ per 50. Luckily I do have enough powders, primers and projectiles to pump out a few years worth of rounds.

Same goes for the 223. When it was hitting 25-28 cpr I was only loading a few boxes here and there. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying a barrel full of it. Life goes on though and here we are.

I already reload, just not 9mm or 223. Already have many components that interchange for both like powder and primers, and even some cases. Bullets would have to be acquired though. Main things I would need are the dies and such.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I went to an estate sale and got 2 1k round bags of cleaned and already primed brass cases for $60. Bought 2k bullets that had been pulled but still good. Found 10 lbs of powder for cheap on TGT for $80. Under $200 for 2k rounds. Lots of time though. I had my grandchildren help pass me the bullets, just so they could feel involved.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    supply and demand at work, it's a bitch. I'll probably buy a Dillon 750xl when the lady and i buy a house. I can't afford these ammo prices. I have 1k of the 2 big calibers (223 and 9) and about 600 of 6.5 Gr which was cheaper than 223 when I bought it :D

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    3,909,502 background checks sounds like a lot. But that is just what went through NCIS. That doesn't count the people with carry permits nor private sales. The real number is probably close to double what they are reporting.
    Even if you have a carry permit in TX, isn't the NCIS call still required if purchasing from a FFL?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Glad to hear, you're only a bullet order away. As far as dies, lee stuff has served me well but maybe your using proprietary stuff like Dillon. I've run through the spectrum of 9mm options and the savings of lead or coated bullets never felt worth it in the end.
    I'd go plated and be done with it but to each his own.

mnpshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Centex
    One side affect I’ve witnessed lately is the gun ranges are full of people that are very sketchy with the gun handling. I’ve seen a guy trying to clear a jam with his finger on the trigger, a husband and wife with an AR that couldn’t hit a target at 12yds. The wife was somehow shooting the track the target rides on Completely unaware of where the rounds were hitting. Stay alert and safe out there. On a good note I bought my first AR and just scored a great deal on a M&P 2.0 9mm compact that maybe had a box of ammo put through it.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    .One side affect I’ve witnessed lately is the gun ranges are full of people that are very sketchy with the gun handling. I’ve seen a guy trying to clear a jam with his finger on the trigger, a husband and wife with an AR that couldn’t hit a target at 12yds. The wife was somehow shooting the track the target rides on Completely unaware of where the rounds were hitting. Stay alert and safe out there. On a good note I bought my first AR and just scored a great deal on a M&P 2.0 9mm compact that maybe had a box of ammo put through it.

Sadly I think this is pretty common place. Most longtime or experienced shooters have land or a rifle club they belong to. I have had concrete splatter on me from a nearby lady shooter putting a couple into the ceiling at an Austin range with a Glock. It was years ago but still spooks me.

Top Bottom