• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Thanks! I have watched all the videos and paid attention when they were discussing it with me. Not rubbing just dabbing the medicine and tear drops away. Have an eye guard for 24 hours.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Both lenses swapped out as of today. Not so bad so far other than the constant eye drops. Should be just recovery and improvement from here on out, I hope! It is much easier to see now that both are done. I had an old pair of glasses that I removed the right lens from but that was wonky too. I can see the monitor pretty well and the TV. Not clearly as I would like but hey its 12 hours post op. Lights at any distance have broken concentric rings around them. A slight glow around lights and a slight horizontal flare. All should improve or go away or brain will sort it out. I can't quite put my finger on it but colors seem slightly different somehow. Time and healing will tell.

Last edited:

bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    Both lenses swapped out as of today. Not so bad so far other than the constant eye drops. Should be just recovery and improvement from here on out, I hope! It is much easier to see now that both are done. I had an old pair of glasses that I removed the right lens from but that was wonky too. I can see the monitor pretty well and the TV. Not clearly as I would like but hey its 12 hours post op. Lights at any distance have broken concentric rings around them. A slight glow around lights and a slight horizontal flare. All should improve or go away or brain will sort it out. I can't quite put my finger on it but colors seem slightly different somehow. Time and healing will tell.

sounds like my recovery. I believe you Wil do just fine.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Awesome. Yes many of those things you mentioned I noticed too at first but are gone for what ever reason now. Enjoy your new sight. I love seeing stars at night and not star burst

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    One month out and the DR says I have 20/20 near and far in the right eye and 20/30 near and far in the left eye (It is a week behind the right). Still having some common issues but the DR assures me they will also fade. I have concentric broken rings around lights at night. Sensitive as all get out to brightness, mandatory good sunglasses to go out (Maui Jim's polarized lenses). Sometimes have shimmering effect in my vision. I also see the edge of the lens occasionally. All things the DR says are common and will improve over time. My near vison is pretty darn good and I can read things now I had no chance of seeing before without glasses on. Midrange vision is good. Need improvement on distance though in my opinion. I can easily focus on my front sight while still seeing the target now. I still see some amount of time to adapt to these. IIRC the DR said it takes a change in how your mind sees through these lenses as it has to chose and/or mix the trifocal lens so that the brain can meld and make sense of it. Not like glasses with bi or trifocals. There you just look through another lens. I am hopeful my vision will be excellent in another month or so.

bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    One month out and the DR says I have 20/20 near and far in the right eye and 20/30 near and far in the left eye (It is a week behind the right). Still having some common issues but the DR assures me they will also fade. I have concentric broken rings around lights at night. Sensitive as all get out to brightness, mandatory good sunglasses to go out (Maui Jim's polarized lenses). Sometimes have shimmering effect in my vision. I also see the edge of the lens occasionally. All things the DR says are common and will improve over time. My near vison is pretty darn good and I can read things now I had no chance of seeing before without glasses on. Midrange vision is good. Need improvement on distance though in my opinion. I can easily focus on my front sight while still seeing the target now. I still see some amount of time to adapt to these. IIRC the DR said it takes a change in how your mind sees through these lenses as it has to chose and/or mix the trifocal lens so that the brain can meld and make sense of it. Not like glasses with bi or trifocals. There you just look through another lens. I am hopeful my vision will be excellent in another month or so.
    Good to hear you are coming along fine. I was wondering how it was going. I hope for continued progress.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Just an update. Everything seems to have healed fine but my vision is lacking. Just to sum up I had this done so I could see up close. My mid and far vision were just fine. I can now see up close albeit at only one fixed distance (about 12 to 14"). My mid and far vision suffered some and is not as good as before. I also have slight double images especially text on a dark screen is very noticeable. The doctor doesn't seem to have any real fixes except to replace the lens with a different one but then I would still need glasses for up close. That would put me back where I was pre surgery only $13k poorer. I am waiting now to see if anything changes over the next few months but it doesn't look promising. If I knew then what I know now I would have never done this. For me, just to fix a prescription, it hasn't worked out at all like I thought and/or read about. I can see good enough to get through the rest of my life but not really happy with the results at all. If you are going blind from cataracts or other severe issues then go for it. But as a prescription correction for farsightedness only, for me it was a mistake.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    From what I understand the lens replacements are a fixed focal length - your eye muscles can't pull on them to reshape/refocus like they do with your God given lens. So while the lens replacements are wonderful for clearing up your vision, they are doing so with the caveat that you effectively lose all ability to focus. It's like a camera with a busted focus ring, or if you do both eyes two cameras with busted focus rings. My FIL somewhat recently had it done too, the docs gave him one lens for distance, and one for a "typical" close-up distance. He's still not completely happy with the outcome either, but I think a big part of the procedure is in managing your expectations.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    The lenses I had put in are brand new and is not two different lenses so to speak. But like you said they don't adjust but rely on your brain to learn to sort out what you chose to see. From my understanding they have 3 lenses in them for near, mid and far. All three images are focused on the retina and your brain has to do the sorting out of what you want to see is my understanding.

I had these put in:

I have several issues with them but can't go back and there is nothing better at the moment. I would really hate to have to back up and go to the older ones just to get back to where I was only $13k poorer and still need glasses. They are okay as far as general use goes for everyday life but lack the experience I thought I would have with excellent vision all around with little to no need for glasses.

I can see the edges of the lenses in my vision due to their different design.
    Must be in bright light to see things good especially text or small things.
    Double ghost image in both eyes.
    Sensitive to bright sunlight but getting better. Wear polarized Maui Jim's all the time for years.
    Looking at a monitor is harder now to see and read due to the ghost image.
    More of a strain trying to "see" things especially up close.
    Doctor says I have 20/20 vision or better.

I am feeling like the 1/1000 that have a less than stellar experience with them. But maybe more time will help. If not then Oh well, that is life.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom