Texas SOT

LaRue Range Day 2011 - Wounded soldier donates rifle he wins to Wounded Warriors!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A wounded soldier won the Top Shot competition at the LaRue Range day. The prize was a loaded PredatAR rifle with optics (I can't remember what). When he claimed his prize, he announced that he was donating it to the Wounded Warrior Foundation so they could continue their work helping people like him. This was one of the rifles that was used in the latest season of Top Shot, and was awarded by the winner of that show.

There were tons of prizes raffled off (and tons of swag handed out, like PMags), but the big prize was a LaRue OBR. And a 13 year old boy was holding the winning ticket. Of course, they'll transfer the rifle to his father, but who better than this kid to win the big prize?

None of my tickets turned up... again. Maybe next year. At least the barbecue was good.

There was a lot of great gear on display, and I didn't get time to play with it all. One of the cooler things I got to mess with was a camera sighting system (that I can't remember the name of! Help?). Basically, a small camera goes on to your rifle's optics, and a small display about the size of a camera viewfinder mounts to some safety glasses. You can do things normally, the viewfinder is off to the left a little bit. It's in your field of vision, but if you don't focus on it, it stops being distracting really fast. But when you need to shoot around a corner, you can look at the little screen. It's not the clearest thing, but you put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger, just like normal. It's just that this time, you're using the Iraqi unsupported firing position to do it. The camera is wireless, there's a receiver and battery that you put on your gear, and a wire leading to the monitor. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but it didn't seem to be that steep; it's just that you're not going to be used to holding a rifle sideways in front of your chest to shoot it.

There was a stage to give people a taste of 3 gun shooting. Participants got split into 3-person teams, two teams would run heads-up through the course of fire. Each person on the team chose a weapon and away you go. First (and farthest run) was an AR with Troy sights (which my friend tells me worked VERY well), shooting maybe 70 yards at three gongs of different size. Once those three were hit (or the shooter burned his 6 rounds of ammo), the safety went on, the rifle went back in the barrel and the shooter had to tag the next teammate in. Next station was a Benelli shotgun (M4 I think) loaded with 6 rounds of ammo. You had 5 targets at about 15 yards. Three pepper poppers and two discs to knock down using bird shot. Safety goes back on, shotgun into the barrel and the last team member picks up a Glock 17. He's got 10 rounds to knock down 5 plates on a rack and a pepper popper, all at about 15 yards.

My friends Mike and Dale have been shooting for a loooooong time. Mike has over 24 years experience with the AR platform, Dale is a pistol shooter and did a whole lot of trap and skeet for years (he's deadly with a shotgun). I'm a bit more "general shooter". Our first run, we gave Mike the rifle duty, Dale took the shotgun and I got stuck with the Glock. It's been a year or more since I've shot a Glock, and I don't shoot them very well because Gaston put the wrong angle on the grip... but we still made the other team look like a bunch of noobs. I missed the first plate twice, but after that I had a good rhythm and didn't miss. At the end of the day, we decided to run the 3-gun again, but this time I asked for the shotgun because Dale has a Glock, and I think I'm pretty good at the "tactical" shotgunning thing. Waiting in line, we start talking to the "team" behind us; three younger dudes in their early to mid 20s. The talk gets to the point where joking offers to "throw the match" get answered by them with "we got this won already." An epic spanking of the other team commenced. Their pistol shooter was just stepping to the line as ours was dropping his last target. As I was dropping steel like a boss, their pistol guy turned to my friend that had shot the rifle and asked "who are you guys!?" LOL, just a bunch of old out of shape dudes that know how to shoot.

We're all going to be laughing at that for a while.
    Target Sports

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Re: LaRue Range Day 2011 - Wounded soldier donates OBR rifle he wins to Wounded Warri

I was there today for my first time and though initially worried about the lines, I ended up having a great time.
    Before today I felt that Larue AR's were overpriced. They are pricey but my shooting experience today sold me on their product, specifically their 7.62.
    And the wounded vet who outshot everybody at the station graciously gave up his hard earned OBR for a great cause. For Top Shot fans, Dustin Keller (?) was there. Very humble guy in person, taking photos and chatting with everybody who approached him.

I guess my saving up for an OBR begins tomorrow. I believe that was the purpose of the event and it worked on me.

On a more negative note, Magpul reps were handing out cases of freebies and I witnessed an LEO(agency witheld) badge the rep and beg for 3 free mags instead of 1 each like they were handing out to everybody else.
    If you can read this sir, you are disgusting.

Back on track, though very dusty and windy, I was very happy with the experience. Next year I am getting more raffle tickets!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Re: LaRue Range Day 2011 - Wounded soldier donates OBR rifle he wins to Wounded Warri

Yeah it was windy!

At least we all learned how to say "Geissele". ;)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011

Waiting in line, we start talking to the "team" behind us; three younger dudes in their early to mid 20s. The talk gets to the point where joking offers to "throw the match" get answered by them with "we got this won already." An epic spanking of the other team commenced. Their pistol shooter was just stepping to the line as ours was dropping his last target. As I was dropping steel like a boss, their pistol guy turned to my friend that had shot the rifle and asked "who are you guys!?" LOL, just a bunch of old out of shape dudes that know how to shoot.

We're all going to be laughing at that for a while.
    Talk is cheap. 20 somethings grow in time and realize 'they're not all that'. NOTHING beats a great day at the range!

Enjoyed the report.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands

The top shot guy was Dustin Ellerman, very nice guy. Got to meet Chris Costa as well. The vet giving that rifle to wounded warrior was really cool. I also got to shoot that crazy camera thing, and have no clue what it's called. Good times, shit loads of people. There was a line for everything, including trying to leave.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas

I smoked the Geissele course...but put an extra on yellow and one short on white.... got beat by 2thents after the penalty

Lines were to long, the magpul guys in the cart were D-bags... I cough up with them about 330 so that may have been why. Other than that I had fun, and the obr being donated to WWP was awesome.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo

A wounded soldier won the Top Shot competition at the LaRue Range day. The prize was a loaded PredatAR rifle with optics (I can't remember what). When he claimed his prize, he announced that he was donating it to the Wounded Warrior Foundation so they could continue their work helping people like him. This was one of the rifles that was used in the latest season of Top Shot, and was awarded by the winner of that show.

There were tons of prizes raffled off (and tons of swag handed out, like PMags), but the big prize was a LaRue OBR. And a 13 year old boy was holding the winning ticket. Of course, they'll transfer the rifle to his father, but who better than this kid to win the big prize?

Flip flop the prizes. The Top Shot gun was an OBR with a Trijicon AccuPoint. The kid won a PredatAR in the raffle.

Anyways, I had a good time. 3 out of 5 hits at 360 yards in the driving wind made my day. Honestly, I was glad to get one! I've used all of the Aimpoint models except for the Micro, so I was glad to shoot with one of those for the first time at the Troy/Aimpoint bay. It may be the optic going on my Ruger GSR (see below).

My biggest disappointment was the Leupold rep telling me that VX-II 1.5-4x28 Scout scope they brought out for demo was not available, and he didn't know if they were going to ever offer it again. It was a Custom Shop only model for a bit, but he said all of the VX-II models were pulled from the custom shop offerings. Don't tease me like that!!!

The Magpul guys were cool when I came across them, but it was earlier in the day.

-Randy

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Flip flop the prizes. The Top Shot gun was an OBR with a Trijicon AccuPoint. The kid won a PredatAR in the raffle.

Anyways, I had a good time. 3 out of 5 hits at 360 yards in the driving wind made my day. Honestly, I was glad to get one! I've used all of the Aimpoint models except for the Micro, so I was glad to shoot with one of those for the first time at the Troy/Aimpoint bay. It may be the optic going on my Ruger GSR (see below).

My biggest disappointment was the Leupold rep telling me that VX-II 1.5-4x28 Scout scope they brought out for demo was not available, and he didn't know if they were going to ever offer it again. It was a Custom Shop only model for a bit, but he said all of the VX-II models were pulled from the custom shop offerings. Don't tease me like that!!!

The Magpul guys were cool when I came across them, but it was earlier in the day.

-Randy

Oops. I couldn't keep the prizes straight. I just knew I didn't win 'em. If I'd realized there was a shooting competition for that OBR, I'd have gone after it. Never did that stage, though...

The Magpul guys were pretty cool all day long, from what I saw.

I was eyeballing the same scope for a scout build I have planned. Got an Ishapore 2A barreled action someone gave me that needs a new lease on life. I figured it'd make a great scout rifle since the stock and most of the metal is long gone. The rep told me that they would build it custom shop, though...

Top Bottom