• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kobiash1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    little elm
    I’m expanding my reloads. I’ve been all 9 mm up to now. I’m going to 10 mm and .45. The ads say large pistol primers , but they also magum. Is there a difference? Any suggestions on large primers.
    Thanks
    Lynx Defense

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’m expanding my reloads. I’ve been all 9 mm up to now. I’m going to 10 mm and .45. The ads say large pistol primers , but they also magum. Is there a difference? Any suggestions on large primers.
    Thanks
    Don't worry about using magnum primers, you don't need them. If that's all you can get, then they're fine to use in those cartridges. If you're substituting them for a load you've already developed with standard primers, back off the power charge a bit and work your way back up just to be safe.

Like Dawico said, the Winchester primers are interchangeable. There's not that much of a difference between the two types.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    While Winchester does label their LPP as either, I would discourage someone that is new to reloading a caliber to interchange magnum and standard primers. I agree that there is probably just a small difference between the two, but why risk injury or damage to a weapon if you don't have to? Get a good reloading manual and follow it.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Back when I was trying to load like Elmer Keith, I found the small difference between them to be important. I guess that partially explains how I wore out my Model 29. :)

Short of absolute max loads, I've never noticed a difference.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    While Winchester does label their LPP as either, I would discourage someone that is new to reloading a caliber to interchange magnum and standard primers. I agree that there is probably just a small difference between the two, but why risk injury or damage to a weapon if you don't have to? Get a good reloading manual and follow it.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    To be fair, you're supposed to rework your loads anytime you change a component. If you're following safe loading practices, then mag vs standard shouldn't matter in most cases.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom