• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Lots of talk in here on knives, which is cool, don't see a lot (recent) on the other "tactical" gear stuff, so I'll start off a gear thread on kydex gear.

I've been bending my own stuff for a long time, did a bit of the whole custom kydex holster thing years ago, doing the same thing 100000 other guys were - that is, our take on Raven Concealment's stuff, while trying to come up with a better design of my own.

Recently I've needed a flashlight carrier for my work rig as a security monkey - tired of my light banging around in my pocket, and for years and years I've been carrying my light on my belt in my previous line of work (towing / road service) and prior to that, I was doing security as well.

At first, to keep with the overall aesthetic, I tried getting a decent Safariland or Bianchi piece, but wasn't really down with dropping $45-50 (with tax & shipping figured in) - so I spent $10 on a belt attachment and some leather working thread and needles, and used the kydex and hardware I had on hand from another project and made this:

S9PAo9j.jpg

tKZrvOB.jpg

92c4qTr.jpg

iwp03yK.jpg

bKpRrgu.jpg

The belt attachment is called a Combat Loop - which is a nicer version of Blade Tech's Tek-Lok. The Combat Loop is easier to open, but it also locks so it *can't* be opened. I honestly love that attachment so much, I wish all the shit on my other duty belt (for armed work) could use it. Makes putting things on the belt, or moving them around, or removing them altogether so much easier. They make small versions to fit normal pants belts too.

Being a prototype / proof of concept for me, I didn't take as much care as I could've with the edges, and I didn't foam-press the face on this one, just heated the kydex and formed by hand using heavy leather gloves. This was my first ever attempt at stitching kydex together, as opposed to just riveting or screwing it. I put two rivets in up top for rigidity and to keep it in place, but then I stitched it together. Safariland actually stitches all their kydex together, but they use a machine, not doing it by hand with a needle and a drill. They're also using thinner kydex than I did on their stuff.

Its just a simple open top carrier, if I remade it I'd definitely foam-press or maybe even vaccuum-form the face for tighter definition (and thus retention) but it works for what it's intended to. One of these days I'm going to build a vaccuum form table.

The style of pouch I've been using for years prior is like this:

VbJcaW2.jpg

ZU34pEf.jpg

CmMqBcL.jpg

This was formed to my specific light, vs a 1 inch dowel like the previous pouch was made with, and I did dual-layer, double color just for fun. This specific carrier replaced my OG light carrier after years and years of faithful service, having my fat ass rolling around on top of it on the ground, banging it into things (like the edge of my flatbed, a lot) - I like carrying my light right at the 9 o'clock position, and its where I carry my light on my security rig too. After probably 13 or 14 years of toting my EDC light there, its just muscle memory.

I also like kydex for my knives - my little EDC hideout fixed blade rides in this usually:

GhxRZen.jpg

K59KkBN.jpg

The knife handle actually gets tucked in behind the belt, but I angled it down for this pic so it'd be more visible.

If I want more low profile - I go the loopless design, inspired by SkallyWag's sheath for their knife:

ay3cMHw.jpg

AivuJI5.jpg

Knife is damn near invisible behind the belt, the sheath itself grabs the belt loop on my pants, and a little rubber band that was added (another cue from Skallywag) keeps it sitting pretty all day.

p9P4ZyN.jpg

For the others out there who like their heat formed plastic carriers / holsters, what are you running? Or do you prefer leather or nylon for your pouches, sheathes and holsters? I've got a few others pieces that I'll feature in another post when I get some better pictures.
    ARJ Defense ad

Top Bottom