• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picked this up from a local knife maker. While the handle is very colorful, he called it the Mardi gras, holding it is a whole different experience. Perfection is what you get with this maker. The sheath was replaced because it didn't meet his approval. I will have to look at getting more of his work. View attachment 310530
    >

IF those are “Levi’s”, I’m going to have to subtract 200 points from your overall score.

Levi’s has come-out severely against our 2A; and is very, very woke.

Real Americans wear Wranglers now-a-days !

leVieux

Please disregard if those are not Levis. . . . . .
    Hurley's Gold

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    >
    As a “Texas Expat”, I wish you’d tell the details.

From “Manefrio’s” own words, it sounded like he was smarting-off to some DPS Officers ?

leVieux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    My comment was just "in general".

I once had a Texan Friend who bought an 8" blade Buck sheath knife to go quail hunting.

I frequently see young friends buying very large knives for whitetail hunts. I also encounter many who don't know how to properly hold a knife.

I would suggest carrying a small hand axe and bone saw, with a smaller "hunting" knife.

When afield, I keep tools in my truck or Jeep, including an axe and a machete. My "carry knives" are the smallest Jimmy Lile sheath knife, a 2.75" Gerber pocketknife and a fair size SpyderCo folder.

"Each to his own. . . . . "

leVieux

On a deer ( and other animals too) there is a little line on the front of the pelvis. A sheepsfoot blade on a stockman pocket knife is all that is needed to slice along this line. The pelvis can then be broken open by standing on the feet and pulling up on the tail. Then the plumbing passed easily through it without any sharp edges to tear it open. Most easily accomplished while the animal is on it's back on the ground.

I recent years I take them back to camp (at most 15 min from shot to camp) for dressing and cleaning. Easier to save liver, heart, etc that way. Cleaner too...

I may be preaching to the choir, but there may be some that don't know this and continue to hack through the pelvis with Gurkha knives, hatchets, Bowie knives and such....

Alan

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On a deer ( and other animals too) there is a little line on the front of the pelvis. A sheepsfoot blade on a stockman pocket knife is all that is needed to slice along this line. The pelvis can then be broken open by standing on the feet and pulling up on the tail. Then the plumbing passed easily through it without any sharp edges to tear it open. Most easily accomplished while the animal is on it's back on the ground.

I recent years I take them back to camp (at most 15 min from shot to camp) for dressing and cleaning. Easier to save liver, heart, etc that way. Cleaner too...

I may be preaching to the choir, but there may be some that don't know this and continue to hack through the pelvis with Gurkha knives, hatchets, Bowie knives and such....

Alan

>

Yes, that “little line” is the cartilaginous PUBIC SYMPHYSIS, which Humans, and higher mammals have.

Long ago, Nun-MIdWife Missionaries would cut it in difficult obstretical labors, in order to deliver a live “baby”.

A regular knife and a bit of muscle can usually separate it. Take care to not cut into the urinary bladder or rectum when cutting it.

leVieux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    >

Yes, that “little line” is the cartilaginous PUBIC SYMPHYSIS, which Humans, and higher mammals have.

Long ago, Nun-MIdWife Missionaries would cut it in difficult obstretical labors, in order to deliver a live “baby”.

A regular knife and a bit of muscle can usually separate it. Take care to not cut into the urinary bladder or rectum when cutting it.

leVieux

Yep, you don't want to cut into that stuff, which is a big part of not using a hacking device...

Now you see I went my whole life without knowing it was a Pubic Symphasis.... I just called it a little line...

Yikes on the midwife thing... seems kinda counter productive to be slicing around in there...

Alan

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Well, this one was only briefly mine...I hear its new owner is quite pleased with it though. Hand forged from 1075 high carbon steel with stabilized black walnut handle scales and A36 steel hardware & pins. I made the custom sheath, too.

20221031_093909.jpg

Edited to add: Forged by me, in case there's any question. And when I say "hand forged"...yeah. No power hammer, no hydraulic press, just a couple of hammers and an anvil.

Last edited:

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    When an if you reach the axe making stage let me know. I have a project I can't get done. I thought about forging but with the carpal tunnel in my hands even as slight as it is I just don't think a can swing that hammer. Maybe some day in the future.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    When an if you reach the axe making stage let me know. I have a project I can't get done. I thought about forging but with the carpal tunnel in my hands even as slight as it is I just don't think a can swing that hammer. Maybe some day in the future.

It may be a while before I'm forging axes, but eventually I'll be there. They require either forge welding (which I haven't got the hang of yet) or specialized tools...or often both. Soon...ish...

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    When you get there I have a wicked design in mind if I don't find someone sooner. I did purchase one thru a company in Michigan that I like but while it's close it still not quite what I had in mind. A wicked design though, cuts very well and sings the battle song well . She has a beautiful ring to her.
    PXL_20221221_185026088.jpg

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Picked up a new little EDC knife. Never heard of Nedfoss but saw them on Amazon. Good reviews and good price. I know it’s nothing high end but Feels solid so far. We’ll see how it does if I don’t lose it first lol.
    691235b4d79777e42f3a460e2df6f369.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom