• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I recently purchased a used Kimber 22lr conversion kit from a guy off of TexasGunTrader. He said he had no issues with it. The unit looked almost new. Most of what I've seen and heard about suggests that the kit can be used on different brands of 1911's. I tried a Springfield RO and a Ruger SR1911. Both times the slide would bind because the fit was too tight. I really don't want to grind the aluminum slide and I'm sure as hell not grinding on my host's guns frame.
    I called Kimber and they want me to send the unit back to them at my expense so they can see whether or not it is within spec. Has anyone else had fitment issues with Kimbers kits? Solutions? I really don't want to have to go out and buy a Kimber 1911 just to use this kit **
    20190712_181718_resized.jpg
    20190712_181528_resized.jpg
    not that I am opposed to owning another 1911 ;)**

Attachments

• 20190712_181718_resized.jpg
      20190712_181718_resized.jpg
      115.6 KB · Views: 1,980
    • 20190712_181528_resized.jpg
      20190712_181528_resized.jpg
      314 KB · Views: 1,866

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Where exactly is it hanging up?

Could the recoil spring not be strong enough to bring the slide back over the hammer?
    Replace the recoil spring.

Remove the slide from the gun.
    Take out the spring.
    Install slide back on frame and work it back and forth.
    Determine where its binding.
    You might be able to work the slide back and forth enough times to burnish the binding point.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Maybe send it back to Kimber, anyway? I know it's not cheap to ship, but it's possible it has an issue from them and they could put it right.
    If they say it's within spec, you can ask "for what frames?"

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Maybe send it back to Kimber, anyway? I know it's not cheap to ship, but it's possible it has an issue from them and they could put it right.
    If they say it's within spec, you can ask "for what frames?"

Kimber customer service would not mention what frames would be better suited for their kit. It was all generalities and maybe maybe nots....

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Is it binding on the rails? Or, is their interference between the ejector and the slide? I ask because I spent about 10 minutes with a file to get an advantage arms slide to clear the ejector on a Dan Wesson vbob.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    There are a few spots on the slide as well as some parts that could use a little filing/polishing. Just gonna "hand fit" it and see what happens. I good a decent deal on it so I'm not too worried. Kimber's warranty was only for a year so I don't have to worry about voiding it. Kimber CS basically told me it was all going to be on my dime anyway if I shipped it back to them. If I had paid retail I'd be pretty unhappy. Apparently universal isn't so universal after all.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I have one of the Kimber conversions and it does fine on my Kimber, now. It had to be cleaned real good, oiled, and de-burred first. No big deal. I don't have another 1911 to try it on.

OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    Mine would fit a Colt, kimber, Caspian and Taurus frame. My Nelson unit would not fit my newer Caspian due to the 9mm ejector. I removed it and the slide slipped right on.
    Hope you get it fixed, its a blast to shoot. After many, many adjustments I was pinging a metal gong at a distance

Top Bottom