• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Maybe a dumb question, but is it ok to keep my magpul pmag 30 round magazines loaded? I do keep several loaded, but I wasn’t sure if it would be ok to keep all of them loaded and store some of my ammo that way, or will it hurt the springs over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It won't hurt the springs. Not sure about the feed lips. Some folks have reported problems with the feed lips bulging on the Gen 2 Pmags after prolonged storage. That problem was supposedly solved with the Gen 3 Pmags.

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Use and, or, abuse is what hurts a magazine. Compression and decompression in other words. Leaving them loaded won't hurt 'em.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Use and, or, abuse is what hurts a magazine. Compression and decompression in other words. Leaving them loaded won't hurt 'em.
    This. Cycling the springs is what wears them out. Keeping them loaded or unloaded doesn't affect spring life.

That being said, many people only load plastic 30 round mags with about 27 rounds for long term storage. Being plastic the bodies and feed lips can give a little over time causing feed issues. Loading them a few rounds short takes a lot of pressure off them.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Mag Springs are why I will not trust my life to a Glock. I’m not a hater, I have 5 of them.

Back in the 90s I had G29 by my bed, a G23 in my office, and a G27 in my shop. All for protection, not range toys, but they had each been thoroughly tested by me, the original owner. They were bought separately, a few years apart from different dealers.

After sitting inactive for a year or two, I decided to change the ammo in the G29. When I picked up the mag it rattled with loose rounds. I could not get the Ammo out because the spring broke in half. First time that had ever happened in over 30 years of owning guns. Then I checked the other Glocks, Same Thing!

3 different guns, 3 different models with broken springs. Not only that , but the springs did not even look like any gun spring I had ever seen. They looked like bed springs. Pure junk.

After replacing the springs, I sold all of my Glocks, but being a gun addict, new ones trickled their way back into my collection over the years.

But NO more Glocks for me for personal protection.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just read another article on just this subject the other day. Now I'm driving myself nutzz looking for it.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Never had a problem with magazine springs when keeping mags loaded and this is the first time I ever heard of magazine springs breaking in Glock magazines. The fact that it was not just one but three springs in magazines for three different pistols belonging to the same person is either an amazing coincidence or maybe indicates you, knowingly or unknowingly, subjected those magazines to conditions that others have not done to theirs. Did you contact Glock about this? If so, what did they say and do about it?

Last edited:

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Never had...........
    ............Did you contact Glock about this? If so, what did they say and do about it?

I was too shocked and lost my trust. In my mind I was done with Glocks and just wanted to be rid of them.

Top Bottom