• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Anyone here into kayak fishing? I just picked up a kayak to improve my fishing experience. Figured I'd see if there were any experienced kayak fishermen here.
    Venture Surplus ad

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I've thought of doing this..Just need to get a Kayak...or Canoe...Since I have 2 sons that would want to go as well..LOL..

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I hear Kayak's are just empty calories, so I'm assuming you'll just catch and release.

wtf?

sounds cool. get a trolling net or whatever they are called, and fill with beer, as you drink the beer, replace with fish.
    xD crush the cans to reduce volume and put them in another light sack of some kind.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've done quite a bit of fishing out of a canoe. Not the same, but it was a lot of fun (Canoe Boundry Waters in MN, I highly recommend it to anyone).

It can be done. A good anchor is important cause the wind can really blow you where you don't want to go. A long rope tied to a rock or bag of rocks works pretty good .. . and you don't have to carry the rocks in with you.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Some of them, but then you have to register them. Without a motor, no registration is required. Plenty of folks do it, though.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I kayak fish on the Devils river just south of Loma Alta. It's a blast, pack light, bring along a lightweight rig (maybe 8-10 lb test) and a soft case full of ground bouncing artificial baits. The beer situation is fixed by getting a soft ice chest and securing it with the bungees on the back of the kayak or by putting it in your lap, most soft chests can hold a 12 pack very well, for empty's just crush them and throw them in your leg space. If you want to catch and keep, just run a stringer off your belt into the water.
    The main problem though lies in getting back in your kayak if you for some reason decided to get out of it in deep water. I'll let you figure that one out yourself.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I kayak fish on the Devils river just south of Loma Alta. It's a blast, pack light, bring along a lightweight rig (maybe 8-10 lb test) and a soft case full of ground bouncing artificial baits. The beer situation is fixed by getting a soft ice chest and securing it with the bungees on the back of the kayak or by putting it in your lap, most soft chests can hold a 12 pack very well, for empty's just crush them and throw them in your leg space. If you want to catch and keep, just run a stringer off your belt into the water.
    The main problem though lies in getting back in your kayak if you for some reason decided to get out of it in deep water. I'll let you figure that one out yourself.

thats what'ss nice about boats you can stand up on, or bottomless crafts such as innertubes.
    no matter how much beer ya drink, ya dont have to get out of the thing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Houston Texas
    i have been wanting to do this for so long, i spent the better part of a day floating slowly down the frio river just on a inflatable tube finishing, catching all kinds of stuff, i like the use of canoes and kayaks cause your so quite you can get way closer to fish and animals, personally i think its alot funner!

Top Bottom