Join TexasGunTalk

Just want to make sure I don't F UP BIG TIME.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by JColumbus, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Shady

Shady TGT Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    This is what is posted on the BATF web page
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  2. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    Yyyyikes I woulda Fed up BIG TIME. Ok, I’ll go with LSO AND declare it. Thanks for that bit of info. I did look but didn’t see that. All I saw was it vaguely saying I could ship it.

3. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    AHHHHH F THIS. Never mind. Even LSO is saying I have to be an authorized dealer. So it’s a federal offense to not declare, but regardless the law, when I do, they all say I can’t so I guess this is a dead end because of this fear of guns and ignorance to state law.

4. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    UPDATE:
    Just got off the phone with ATF Dallas. The fellow was very pro “send it to yourself” and even went as far as to sort of mock the venders by saying “good luck trying to convince them, I know you won’t be able to”.

So these morons all think I have to be an FFL and it IS against fed law to not declare it. So NOW I am stuck trying to convince one of these bozos that I’m good to go.

I’ll keep you all posted. Damn I swear it’s like I’m trying to send a kidnapped child to someone this is ridiculous and everyone is so scared and ignorant. Odd how firearms are less accepted than trannies (no I don’t hate trannies) and even pedophiles these days.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  5. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    Go figure... An Indian woman knows our laws better hahaha. She confirmed that UPS can ship it and it's policy is just to operate within the law. So I will have him try with the local UPS hub and keep you guys posted.

As for LSO, I've talked with San Antonio and management in Austin and they will not knowingly ship a handgun, and state it's against policy. The lady I talked to went as far as to say she "knows" it's not legal. After informing her it was, she spitefully threw the "well we won't do it anyway cause of our policy" right in my face. I'll never ship anything with them.

America has gotten so bad and ignorant that it took an Indian customer service lady to sprinkle a dash of hope onto what should be such a simple every day thing.

6. Coiled

Coiled I'm full of sunshine & happiness

Nov 25, 2016
    Huntsville-ish
    It is sad that these carriers 1) don't know the regs. regarding their product and 2) treat an unloaded gun as if it's more dangerous than hammer.

My guess is they ship daily all types of chemical, bio, and other materials (albeit most likely in quantities below their respective reportable quantity) going to a laboratory or other testing facility w/o their knowledge.

JColumbus likes this.
  7. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Well-Known Forum Sponsor

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Or an outdated 1911? I think a 1911 can be shipped as scrap.

BRD@66, Dawico and ZX9RCAM like this.
  8. Coiled

Nov 25, 2016
    Huntsville-ish
    Oh MY! He ^^ must be off his meds. :what:

TxStetson likes this.
  9. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    No legal issues with shipping a box full of jam either.

10. Coiled

Nov 25, 2016
    Huntsville-ish
    And he ^^ refused to take the meds.

TxStetson likes this.