• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Another free public place to shoot has bitten the dust. And Texas doesn't have that many to begin with!

Called to check if sport (target) shooting was still allowed at a location in Section 3 of the Caddo LBJ National Grasslands, just west of Alvord. First of all, only shotguns were ever allowed anyway - and even that's now been disallowed.

Technically, the land isn't state property, it falls under the feds, Department of Agriculture (USDA). As I understand, hunting is still allowed at certain locations - with a Texas hunting license (incl Texas Public Hunting Permit) and following state & local laws.

But no more public shotgun range.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Why can't you go shoot and say you are hunting?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Why can't you go shoot and say you are hunting?
    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I’ll assume you’re asking a legitimate question, so I’ll answer accordingly. My posting was about a 100% “free to use” shotgun range that allowed you to pattern your shot shells out to forty yards and beyond if you so desired. You could also practice home defense shotgun usage with various gauges and chokes and everything from birdshot to slugs. And if you had a clay thrower, even practice that. Stay an hour or all day and the cost was the same: free.

Hunting is approved in a different location of the Caddo National Grasslands, separate from where the shotgun range was located. And of course, you have to comply with all the Texas state hunting laws (for shotguns - if we are comparing apples to apples). The shotgun range was open year ‘round, unlike hunting seasons; having to pay for appropriate hunting licenses / permits; requirement to wear the appropriate amount of “hunters orange” - the Grasslands spell out the specific amount. And other restrictions related to hunting, locations, and times. None of which existed for the shotgun range area (there was the expectation for you to pack up and remove your own trash, shot shell hulls and drink bottles, etc.). Free was hard to beat!

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom