Venture Surplus ad

Just pondering: After MJ becomes legal employment oppurtunity?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    What are employers going to do if they can't find Able-to-Pass-Drug-Screen workers?
    Same thing they do everyday hire less then qualified people. I have worked more then my fare share of people that were just hired as a body. WTF do companies do when they need to fill quotas put on them by Uncle Sugar?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Same thing they do everyday hire less then qualified people. I have worked more then my fare share of people that were just hired as a body. WTF do companies do when they need to fill quotas put on them by Uncle Sugar?

I don't think that option will work in the industry i'm involved with.
    There is zero tolerance for potential hires and active employees. This will not change.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    What are employers going to do if they can't find Able-to-Pass-Drug-Screen workers?
    :) I’ll work all day and night. Bring a mini fridge, put a cot out. Pay me triple. Oh and just hook up a garden hose so I can shower in trunks.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    There is a shortage of CDL drivers now. And from what I read, there will be for a while to come.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Now that CBD oil is such a massive fad, I wonder if ingested will test results possibly show positive for mj use?

I know the amount of thc is touted is suppose to show zero or no more than 3%, thus can be sold legally, but what if the testing is precise and says you are an mj user?

Me, I'm staying away from mj and CBD oil in all it's varieties from the smoking stuff to eating to rubbing on, but I'll drink a beer (or 2) at home and not drive.

Yep, I'm quite saintly I is..........

The CBD I use has less than 0.3%. They post the results of each batch on their website. Since their CBD is sourced from hemp and not marijuana they don't have to just through hoops to get the THC levels down.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There is a shortage of CDL drivers now. And from what I read, there will be for a while to come.

With the new testing requirements for CDL applicants and the coming requirement to attend a school in order to obtain a CDL, my guess is any shortage will get much worse...and my drivers license will increase in value.

For now I don’t think the shortage is all that bad. It’s not causing issues with day to day life for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    With the new testing requirements for CDL applicants and the coming requirement to attend a school in order to obtain a CDL, my guess is any shortage will get much worse...and my drivers license will increase in value.

This is what I was trying to get at.
    Yours skills becoming more valuable.
    Skills = mo $

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I consider it a non-issue considering alcohol is already legal and that hasn't impacted the available workforce that much. The legalization of marijuana won't cause any significant shortages of skilled labor as those individuals usually put their professions far ahead of their desire to get high!

I am curious as to how employers handle the issue of employees use of medical marijuana, I suspect it would be the same as any other prescription drug in that a certain amount of time must exist between its use and being on the job; but given the frequency some people have to use the stuff those restrictions may not be feasible. I expect it would end up being a non-qualifier.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    My company doesn’t drug test after someone is hired. My boss has told me it’s because most of our executives smoke pot. They make high 6-7 figures.

I’m just a worker bee. I’ve never smoked marijuana and have no desire to.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    My company doesn’t drug test after someone is hired. My boss has told me it’s because most of our executives smoke pot. They make high 6-7 figures.

I’m just a worker bee. I’ve never smoked marijuana and have no desire to.

My business partner is a very big wig at a very large bank.
    He says the same - all these executives smoke weed.

Surprised the hell outta me.

My former career was in advertising.
    If they drug tested, methinks they’d fire people who didn’t have anything in their system, especially on the creative side LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I consider it a non-issue considering alcohol is already legal and that hasn't impacted the available workforce that much. The legalization of marijuana won't cause any significant shortages of skilled labor as those individuals usually put their professions far ahead of their desire to get high!

I am curious as to how employers handle the issue of employees use of medical marijuana, I suspect it would be the same as any other prescription drug in that a certain amount of time must exist between its use and being on the job; but given the frequency some people have to use the stuff those restrictions may not be feasible. I expect it would end up being a non-qualifier.
    The problem is current testing.

Alcohol leaves your system and takes it effects and trace with it.

THC leaves a trace long after the effects are gone. My understanding is you will test positive two weeks or longer after using it.

If the trace disappeared with the effects this discussion would be a non issue.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Isn't there a severe shortage of drivers right now?

The airline industry claims a severe ‘shortage’ too. Yet, no one is taking planes off the schedule or dropping service because there are no qualified airmen.

What we see is improved pay and better working conditions for the majority and bottom feeders still bottom feed, because there is always a segment of the industry that feeds off the bottom.

Now, what we also see in both segments of the transportation industry is that substance abuse can, and does occur. Both DOT and FAA have programs for those with issues. Neither are particularly easy to comply with and have significant penalties for recurrence.

What no one is addressing is the generation between the Boomers and Millennials is actually a small population. So the growth in demand for operators in those industries is constrained by a limited population set and compounded by other forces, such as motivation and cost or time to qualify to make the magnitude of the problem appear much greater than it is.

I mean, if the shortage was that bad, we’d be seeing new rail lines going in all over the place, simply because of the efficiency.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    New rail lines are ghastly expensive.
    People will NIMBY that to death as well.

I've heard the airline industry has people because there are air crew who will work for almost nothing to get the seat hours. Is that true?

Trucking is a sucky job.
    In recent years the regulations have really made it suck even more.
    Not many even want to get in to the trade.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Trucking can suck, but can pay well also.

Our long-haul drivers earn up to 30% of their load, and can make $150k per year.

Of course, they’re away from home for 3 weeks (or more) per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom