• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Yeah...I've been on a roll this week. So I know pretty much NOTHING about 22LR (I've shot them maybe 3 times...I kinda "skipped" that caliber before I realized it is the most versatile one of all). So what reasonably priced ammo is good? And how do I prevent out of battery detonations (heard quite a few of those stories today). If anyone's interested, PSA's daily deal is this:

ATI Complete Upper .22LR for AR-15 16.125" w/ 28rd Mag ATIM42228 - Uppers - .22LR Conversion - AR-15

Not sure if this goes in the black rifle or rimfire thread, I just posted it in here because I've never posted in this forum before. How's this ammo:

CCI Mini-Mag .22LR 40gr Copper-plated Round Nose 100rd Box 0030 - Rimfire Ammunition - Ammunition

??

Tired of seeing a thousand dollar AR15 collect dust because I can't afford to shoot it....and needed a 22LR of some kind.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I've never had any issues with any CCI .22 I've used, stingers pack the most punch but everything down to the cheaper Blazer (made by CCI) has worked great. Everything else is is hit and miss for me.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I've never had any issues with any CCI .22 I've used, stingers pack the most punch but everything down to the cheaper Blazer (made by CCI) has worked great. Everything else is is hit and miss for me.

Oh yeah...we already had this conversation once today....lol....I decided to just go with a dedicated upper because of all the "watch out for this, watch out for that's" I kept hearing about the conversion kits...and the kit I wanted wasn't all that much less than this complete upper I just decided to go with (today only, although part of me says I shoulda just ordered a 10/22, although I really want to be able to shoot my AR and that was the initial point of this entire endeavor...). I didn't notice any CCI rounds labeled "stingers" though.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Oh yeah...we already had this conversation once today....lol....I decided to just go with a dedicated upper because of all the "watch out for this, watch out for that's" I kept hearing about the conversion kits...and the kit I wanted wasn't all that much less than this complete upper I just decided to go with (today only, although part of me says I shoulda just ordered a 10/22, although I really want to be able to shoot my AR and that was the initial point of this entire endeavor...). I didn't notice any CCI rounds labeled "stingers" though.

Indeed, glad you found something you liked and you got the best of both of your wants a spare upper and cheaper caliber also gotta think the dedicated .22 barrel will be a lot more accurate. As far as the stingers I only come across them every once in awhile and they're priced a little bit more but you can tell the difference when you shoot them.

The stingers are on the left of the grouped boxes, also there are mini mags and the CCI AR Tactical is pretty good, about $25 for a box of 375 rounds.

du4eruve.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I paid over $1K for my Compass Lake upper but I had it built to my specifications with a Douglas match barrel. The price of your upper is very friendly!

It's much better to get a dedicated .22 upper as that gives the the .22 the 1:16 barrel twist instead of a conversion that uses the original AR-15 barrel with 1:7, 1:8 or 1:9 twist rates. You have some accuracy potential, now!

Total "Thumbs UP" here!

Flash

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    You will have no problems with CCI. Keep yoyr eye out for some Stingers though and when you find them buy all of them you can afford. I promise you are going to love them.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Nice post & good info.

Have yet been to a gun show where any dealer knew "jack squat" about a dedicated .22 LR upper.

They were probably trying to sell all the "conversion kits" they had on hand instead.

Thanks for the post.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    You will have no problems with CCI. Keep yoyr eye out for some Stingers though and when you find them buy all of them you can afford. I promise you are going to love them.

Picked up 200 stingers today....they were about $6 for 50 rounds at WM. I also stopped at Academy and got an assortment of less expensive rounds to try out when my upper gets here.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Nice post & good info.

Have yet been to a gun show where any dealer knew "jack squat" about a dedicated .22 LR upper.

They were probably trying to sell all the "conversion kits" they had on hand instead.

Thanks for the post.

I didn't know about them either...I posted on another forum to get the general consensus on what a good conversion kit would be...then someone pointed out reasons the dedicated upper would be much better, then pointed out that PSA Daily Deal for me (like PSA on Facebook and they'll post their daily deals every day). I literally clicked on it, read the description, and clicked "buy this" lol....1 minute after opening the link it was bought.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Just don't get in a hurry waiting on PSA to ship it. Lol

Ha...yeah, I've dealt with them before. First time I swore I'd never do it again. But hey they have good shit for good prices so I guess putting up with a little bullshit is warranted. Besides, I am so busy with school I won't have time to hit the range for AT LEAST two weeks, maybe longer.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I'm in the midst of my first purchase from them. Two weeks now, still no LPK. Oh, yeah, they took the payment almost immediately. :banghead:

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I'm in the midst of my first purchase from them. Two weeks now, still no LPK. Oh, yeah, they took the payment almost immediately. :banghead:

Yeah, they'll come through. Don't bother trying to call them either. I learned that the hard way also. I sent them a LONG email lol...earlier this year, so I can just about imagine how busy they are right now with the AR15 parts.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Yeah, they'll come through. Don't bother trying to call them either. I learned that the hard way also. I sent them a LONG email lol...earlier this year, so I can just about imagine how busy they are right now with the AR15 parts.

No kidding. It's either a busy signal or hold for three minutes and leave a message. It's all good, if I don't get my stuff in another week I have access to technology to literally blow up their inbox. To the tune of 60 emails a minute.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    No kidding. It's either a busy signal or hold for three minutes and leave a message. It's all good, if I don't get my stuff in another week I have access to technology to literally blow up their inbox. To the tune of 60 emails a minute.

Ha....I bet you'll get a reply then. I got my entire lower from them so yeah...I know...

I've not found many "personable" black rifle manufacturers/dealers out there either. So when you call them to ask if there is a problem because things are taking forever, they act like you're the asshole.

Top Bottom