• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pdog109

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2023
    San Angelo
    Weather is sure nicer here. Howdy.
    I see a lot of listings that say they'll only sell to Texas ID, makes sense sure I get it.
    But I'm active duty military and don't have a Texas ID and have orders here, is that enough for a FFL even?
    I saw a gun listing I was interested in and I pmed the dude and he basically told me to kick rocks because I don't have a Texas DL.
    I guess my military ID card, military orders assiging me to a base in TX and mortgage statement wouldn't be enough to convince an FFL that I live in TX.
    Very strange indeed since TX has a lot of military (Ft Hood, Ft Bliss, Ft Sam Houston, some other air force bases I'm sure too)
    Oh well, maybe one day i'll get a TX DL.
    Texas SOT

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    1679199553328.gif

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Howdy and welcome to Texas and to TGT.

It’s a good place and good people here.

Living up to your introduction you should find yourself fitting in here quite well. Lot of knowledge, experience, and characters.

Lifelong military, bet thin skin isn’t an issue.

Thank you for your service, sir.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I am not a lawyer, but I found this a while back. My snippets below start with what most of us already know and then extends to military members.

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: What constitutes residency in a State?

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]

So, most FFLs know to ask for military PCS orders and military ID, but you cannot expect your average citizen to do so. They are just following the law as they know it.

Both WA and TX do not have state income tax. If I were you, I would just change residency to TX. Besides, WA will one day ban anything worth owning. Once they mandate eating bug protein, then even hunting rifles will be banned.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Weather is sure nicer here. Howdy.
    I see a lot of listings that say they'll only sell to Texas ID, makes sense sure I get it.
    But I'm active duty military and don't have a Texas ID and have orders here, is that enough for a FFL even?
    I saw a gun listing I was interested in and I pmed the dude and he basically told me to kick rocks because I don't have a Texas DL.
    I guess my military ID card, military orders assiging me to a base in TX and mortgage statement wouldn't be enough to convince an FFL that I live in TX.
    Very strange indeed since TX has a lot of military (Ft Hood, Ft Bliss, Ft Sam Houston, some other air force bases I'm sure too)
    Oh well, maybe one day i'll get a TX DL.
    <>
    Thank you for your service.

Get a Texas CL.

Welcome to TGT !

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Welcome, I’m active duty as well. You’ll find these TX folks are just about the same as everyone else around the country, largely ignorant of how military personnel integrate into society. If a seller tells you to kick rocks just move along, there are plenty of guns out there. I have purchased from an FFL here in El Paso with no issues. Many people here in TX support gun control, require a bill of sale for private sales, and don’t understand what a military ID plus orders means.

Do not give a private seller a copy of your ID or orders. They can see them, but they do not get to keep your PII.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom