"The Director of Alcohol and Tobacco
Tax Division of the U.S. Treasury Department has
ruled that an M14 rifle, so modified, will not be a
firearm as defined in section 5848 (1) and (2) of
the Internal Revenue Code, and may be sold or issued
to civilians without payment of a special
license"

Section 5848 described machine guns.

Attached is a photo of some the required welds, there are four more. On TRW M14NM the welds were done before all machining operations were performed and before heat treatment of the receiver. That is why it was never a machine gun, and therefore can not be "restored" back to something it never was.

Now about selling the gun when I win the lawsuit.
In 1987 the gun from the lawsuit, also a TRW M14NM made in the one and only batch of M14NM rifles manufactured by TRW, sold for $8500. My gun has the added distinction of being a M21 Vietnam sniper rifle. The army has destroyed almost all m14 rifles, there are rumors of some M14NM still in storage but Lee Emerson the noted expert on the M14 tells me that this can not be absolutely confirmed, and there are NO known M21 M14NM rifles in civilian hands.

Current value of mine?? But you can bet to the right collector or bidding war it could go off the wall.

There is an XM21 in the West Point Museum. It was the experimental version of the M21.

that being said, you might want to go here: http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=56612

I personally know of 3 more M14NMs

I still live in the Killeen- Ft Hood area and you will not believe what turns up at garage sales. A buddy is a garage sale addict and found 2 USGI M2 carbine full auto conversion kits on a lady's table at a sale in Killeen for $2. She had no Idea what they were, they were from her late husband. Now those ARE contraband!!

Attachments

• TRW welds.jpg
    TRW welds.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 31

kbaxter60

Lesser Being
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 23, 2019
Pipe Creek
Do you still possess the rifle, or was it surrendered?
I was about to suggest that you set up a GoFundMe account to help cover the legal costs. But they would likely shut it down, as they hate the 2nd amendment .
Anyway, I would be willing to pitch in.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sep 11, 2021
Temple Texas
Do you still possess the rifle, or was it surrendered?
I was about to suggest that you set up a GoFundMe account to help cover the legal costs. But they would likely shut it down, as they hate the 2nd amendment .
Anyway, I would be willing to pitch in.
Man, I really appreciate your offer.

Yes the gun was confiscated 9/9

The two young agents, who I would be proud to have as grandchildren, could not understand what the fuss was all about. They are used to busting druggies with machineguns, and here is a 73 year old man with his 18 month old great-great grandson love of his life and what for all appearances and function was a M1A.

God takes care of fools and I think I may be a big one.
He is also behind "things happen for a reason" and "karma"

About the time the rifle came into my life my daughter decided to get married. My son had been renting a house we owned. My daughter moved into her husbands house, my son bought her house. We are selling the rent house. Been busting butt these last few weeks renovating, will go on the market Monday.

We should be OK.

kbaxter60

Lesser Being
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 23, 2019
Pipe Creek
Man, I really appreciate your offer.

Yes the gun was confiscated 9/9

The two young agents, who I would be proud to have as grandchildren, could not understand what the fuss was all about. They are used to busting druggies with machineguns, and here is a 73 year old man with his 18 month old great-great grandson love of his life and what for all appearances and function was a M1A.

God takes care of fools and I think I may be a big one.
He is also behind "things happen for a reason" and "karma"

About the time the rifle came into my life my daughter decided to get married. My son had been renting a house we owned. My daughter moved into her husbands house, my son bought her house. We are selling the rent house. Been busting butt these last few weeks renovating, will go on the market Monday.

We should be OK.
I agree: you will be okay.
Two reasons for my willingness to help:
* You are right and they are wrong.
* I am blessed with the ownership of an M1A. If this crap stands, it will be no time that they decide mine is a machine gun, since it could be modified. Scary!!!!
So, yes, my interest is selfish.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sep 11, 2021
Temple Texas
Hopefully they only electric pencil an evidence number on it & not cut it up!
They better not deface it in any way that deters from it's historic value. I have letters from military history museums attesting to its historic value.

The ATF does not have the authority to allow me to "register" this rifle as a NFA firearm. Only congress can do that.

BUT, ATF does have the authority to declare a firearm a "Curio & Relic":

My desire is to have all M14NM declared Curio and Relics by ATF ONLY IN THEIR ORIGINAL WELDED CONFIGURATION as per AR920-25. and I suggested this to ATF!!!

check out this link explains it all

even though legally it is over 50 years old and thus a Curio & Relic adding M14NM to the list would clear up any doubt.

Products discussed on TGT

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Latest posts