• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B. Wright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Cypress
    Just picked this up at Costco yesterday. I’m doing a couple of chickens. I’ve never used one before so I’m excited to see what the outcome is.
    image.jpg
    DK Firearms

B. Wright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Cypress
    Hopefully it comes out cooked....
    Interesting you say that. I put the chickens in for the amount of time they told me. The internal temp said it was good to go but when I pulled it out and tried it again with a different thermometer it said it wasn't quite there. Back on the grill it went for another 20 minutes and the same thing happened. It came out cooked all the way through but the skin wasn't as crispy as I would have like it. I think it will take some getting used to.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Here is one of them. It does feel like cheating though. I’m used to the Weber.
    View attachment 332802
    It does take a little while to get used to it. The first year I had mine, I didn't use anything else. Now I decide which grill to use depending on what I'm trying to do.

One thing you can do for chicken is cook it at the temp they recommend until just before it's done, and then crank the heat to about 400 to crisp up the skin prior to taking it off.

B. Wright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Cypress
    It does take a little while to get used to it. The first year I had mine, I didn't use anything else. Now I decide which grill to use depending on what I'm trying to do.

One thing you can do for chicken is cook it at the temp they recommend until just before it's done, and then crank the heat to about 400 to crisp up the skin prior to taking it off.
    That sounds like a good idea.

B. Wright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Cypress

What other grills do you use and what meals do you use it for?

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have a Webber kettle grill that uses charcoal, a Webber gas grill, and a Pit Boss pellet grill. I use the pellet grill for smoking and slow cooking mostly. It's really good for temperature control and the "set it and forget it" mindset. I use the charcoal grill for steaks and quick cooking small meals. I use the Webber for higher controlled heat cooking, like chicken pieces.

RoundRockRed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Round Rock, TX.
    I am doing Keto, so BBQ is definitely on the menu. With the (somewhat understandable) high prices of BBQ locally, I was looking for an alternative to buying out. I bought a Green Mountain pellet smoker and have been blown away by how easy it is to use, and how good it tastes.
    I understand calling it cheating, but I'm not going to babysit a stick smoker for 12 hours. It's for eating, not a new hobby.
    So nice to fill the hopper and toss in a brisket at 7pm set at 200F. Get up the next morning to wrap it up and it's ready for lunch.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    My son in law bought one a few years ago. I no longer visit for dinner. The outcome just don't work for me. Real Smoker, Gas grill or the time tested Weber kettle is all I do.
    My wife says its just him he has somekind of disorder he has no patience what soever. Yes he visits frequently. :)

B. Wright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Cypress
    I am doing Keto, so BBQ is definitely on the menu. With the (somewhat understandable) high prices of BBQ locally, I was looking for an alternative to buying out. I bought a Green Mountain pellet smoker and have been blown away by how easy it is to use, and how good it tastes.
    I understand calling it cheating, but I'm not going to babysit a stick smoker for 12 hours. It's for eating, not a new hobby.
    So nice to fill the hopper and toss in a brisket at 7pm set at 200F. Get up the next morning to wrap it up and it's ready for lunch.
    That's about where I'm at on the issue. I'm a busy person and don't have time to fuss over the temperature for hours on end.

Top Bottom