• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwales

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2020
    DFW
    For me - enjoyed #1. #2 was repetitive but enjoyed as well. #3 I walked out of theater after body count got to 30+.
    One could say that I'm a slow learner. No #4 for me.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    For me - enjoyed #1. #2 was repetitive but enjoyed as well. #3 I walked out of theater after body count got to 30+.
    Anything with Halle Berry is on permanent replay.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Conversations up a notch with an Honest Trailer review from Screen Junkies channel of JW4

Stairs lots of stairs.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Same here.
    I loved #1. #2 was pretty good. #3 I watched the first 15 minutes, then turned it off. Probably not going to see #4

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

I bet that movie was 10x better than the bullshit I watched the other night. Just wait until the mfer is tying his shoe and headshot him from 300 yards out. Ludicrous concept. They jumped the shark with this one. I bet they will make a 5th one and it will be a paraplegic black transgender rabbi assassin in a wheel chair

John Sam Rayburn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Lufkin, Texas
    I watched it with Mrs. Rayburn last week.

Too long. Had to break it into two nights. Didn't have enough cool cars and motorcycles.

No cool guns either, just the usual video game stuff and a heroic black guy with a silly lever action rifle with rails on it.

Some of the chop-socky martial arts fighting was okay, but there was far too much of it.

My favorite part of this series is learning about the spooky secret society they belong to, but that wasn't fleshed out any further in this episode.

Verdict: Meh. Better than watching episodes of Lone Star Law, but not by much.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Random thoughts -
    • I liked the ending of JW4. It's possible that I just loved the decorated Encores used as dueling pistols, but I don't think so. Watching that prick Frenchman die was surprisingly satisfactory; they did a great job of making the audience hate that villain.
    • The blind guy in #4 was ridiculous.
    • In #4, the black guy with the dog and the lever-action takedown rifle was odd. Does JW always require a friend with a rifle to keep him alive? And he gave up $40M to save the life of his dog. That was bizarre. It tugs at the heart, I suppose. I find myself wishing Mr. Nobody had not been in the movie.
    • I find 2, 3, and 4 about equal as movies. That's mainly because of the next bullet point.
    • For me, the franchise broke with the beginning of JW2. In the first movie, he killed everyone he wanted to kill and got his full revenge except he didn't get his car back. Part 2, in any reasonable permutation of reality, would have Vigo's brother park the car outside the garage with the key in it. JW would walk up to it, get in, and drive away. The whole movie could have been 90 seconds long. The way Vigo's brother explained why JW was coming for them (not just the car) was nonsense.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That was Mrs. Rayburn's favorite part.
    Yes, he did the right thing. I agree on principle.

But he's a guy who kills human beings for a living. I know he loved his dog but this series was full of people killing other humans they knew/respected/loved. Again, in "any reasonable permutation of reality," at least the reality of the way human minds work, I was surprised that his love for his dog wasn't sufficiently compartmentalized off in his brain that the could shut that door, let the dog die, and make $40M.

Remember the big heartstrings-puller of the first movie was that JW was this completely cold killer who had no life until he met the woman he loved. She made him capable of love. Her death made him capable of loving the dog (because the car didn't count.:)) I felt that made him, among the assassins in that world, unique. In turn, that made his rage unique.

That was a good premise for a movie. It's been downhill from there.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I guess since I have never known an assassin, (not counting a couple special forces guys I've known) I don't have a good way to think through it. So I just sat in all 4 movies and took it in. Never got as deep as you guys in my analysis. Cool guns, cool cars, angry dudes, lots of action. I liked all four of them.

Beats the heck out of Anne of Green Gables that my wife used to subject me to.

The stairs..... yuck.

Blind guy, yeah. Weird and unbelievable.

Black guy and the dog, sometimes people have connections to their dogs nobody but them understands. I get that.

Loved the Frenchman dying. Easy to hate that character.

Thinking about going back to watch it again.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Its weird when the Frenchman gets poisoned.....

Jim Jones is in this movie too?

Frenchy should not have drank the kool-aid.

As y’all can tell, I haven’t seen it yet.
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom