• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfsburg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    san antonio
    :1zhelp:iv been wondering if it would be illegal to carry weather open or concealed a "fixed blade knife" thats non folding, single side edged and under 5.5in in blade length. i live in san antonio. thanks for any insight, experiances, knowledge or observations. have at it guys.......
    Gun Zone Deals

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Don't know about legality, but I've carried a sheathed duct knife, about 10 inches, serrated on one side and straight on the other. Most likely illegal, but nobody razzed me about it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    An illegal knife is defined in Penal Code 46.01. 46.02 and 46.15(b) define when you can carry an illegal knife. 46.05 talks about switchblades.

In a nutshell the fixed blade under 5.5 inches is not an illegal knife and no worries to carry.

The 10 inch blade is an illegal knife and is unlawful to carry unless you meet the exceptions in 46.02 and 46.15(b).

You can carry an illegal knife if you are carrying a CHL and handgun of the proper category. If you are directly enroute to or inside of your motor vehicle or one under your control you don't need a CHL to have the illegal knife. If you are traveling, you can have one (what is traveling?) If you are engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other sporting activity and the illegal knife is commonly used in the activity you can carry it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    An illegal knife is defined in Penal Code 46.01. 46.02 and 46.15(b) define when you can carry an illegal knife. 46.05 talks about switchblades.

In a nutshell the fixed blade under 5.5 inches is not an illegal knife and no worries to carry.

The 10 inch blade is an illegal knife and is unlawful to carry unless you meet the exceptions in 46.02 and 46.15(b).

You can carry an illegal knife if you are carrying a CHL and handgun of the proper category. If you are directly enroute to or inside of your motor vehicle or one under your control you don't need a CHL to have the illegal knife. If you are traveling, you can have one (what is traveling?) If you are engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other sporting activity and the illegal knife is commonly used in the activity you can carry it.

This, also the San Antonio ordinance applies only to folding knives with locks.

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    Thanks, informative thread. I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes" but just wanted to double-check - if your fixed blade is under 5.5, you can carry it open or concealed?

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Not to hijack the op's question.. But I wonder how 5.5 inches of blade became the "line in the sand" between legal and not to carry?

Top Bottom