• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Barbara is my wife's sister. Roger is one of her ex-husbands. They have been divorced many years but they are still friends. Roger is in poor health, has a pacemaker, kidney failure, extremely high blood pressure, etc. The only friends that Roger has is Barbara, Joanne, and me. I have helped Roger out a lot since I've been here. Roger had a rental house that he was going to sell. The renters left a mess. I helped Roger clean up the house, we filled a construction dumpster with the junk left over. I messed up my back doing that and knocked myself out of going to VA and SC for Thanksgiving.

I said all of that to say this, Roger called me today and said he was at the Dodge dealer getting a new truck. He was coming by to show me his new ride. He came over in a nice new Dodge Ram. He had a 2009 Dodge and he said he was giving it to me. He had said before that he wanted me to have his old truck when he died out of appreciation for helping him and being a friend.

If you'll remember, I made a post last week about buying a Ford Ranger. Now, I'm up to my ass in old trucks!

The truck that Roger gave me is a 2009 Dodge Ram, 5.7 Hemi, 4 door, with 74K. Sounds like a good deal, huh? It is and I'm very appreciative. But, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Here, let me show you what I mean.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

d6.jpg
    d7.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    And it's a 3/4 ton! I'd take it to be steam cleaned and a good shampoo. My 5.7 hemi was a damn good truck, a friend of mine has 250k on his and it's still going.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Passenger door and driver fender from the junkyard (white is one of the easiest colors to find), a set of cheap tires, and a steam clean/interior detail, and you will be on your way to a nice truck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I love seeing that courtesy floor mat that someone used so they wouldn't mess up the truck! Some serious cleaning - I think I'd pay to have that done professionally. Hard to tell from the photos, but kinda looks like those tires are on their last few miles. Still, a very nice truck for the price of a title transfer.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Take it down to the guys on that corner that do the detailing, get a an inexpensive seat cover or two, and Registration fees, and you've got a helluva nice truck.

Don't worry about the whiskey dents. They just let other drivers know that yes, you are willing to run them over.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Take it down to the guys on that corner that do the detailing, get a an inexpensive seat cover or two, and Registration fees, and you've got a helluva nice truck.

Don't worry about the whiskey dents. They just let other drivers know that yes, you are willing to run them over.

This is exactly what I’d do too. If it’s in good mechanical shape, I’d get the inside cleaned up good, seat covers, floor covers, get the rust stopped, change ALL the fluids, new tires, and press on.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Take it down to the guys on that corner that do the detailing, get a an inexpensive seat cover or two,

This right here.

fir $200 they will make it like new in there. And then you won’t be exposed to whatever is alive in there.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This advice comes from my background in many years of automotive repair, experiences and observations.

I would schedule that truck with a competent repair shop for a full on maintenance overhaul! All fluids changed, including brake fluid, transmission, differentials, transfer case, coolant and a complete check-up of all the brakes, suspension and steering.

Many times, over the years seeing vehicles in such a neglected or abused state as just the appearances as this one, the mechanical systems are usually just as abused or neglected as well.

Spending the time or money having it properly cleaned and detailed would be my first order. As a former mechanic, I can tell you, we hated having to work on a vehicle as dirty as this one, and I can just imagine it probably doesn't smell any better than it looks!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Third-gen Rams are pretty stout and easy to work on for the most part.

My 07 CTD was one of the best vehicles I ever owned, never had an issue and I beat on that truck very hard.

Pulled out 18k lb fiver to the desert...mobbed the truck off-roading in the desert...pulled our junk back home, never missed a beat and never left me stranded.

Looks like 2WD so that axes the known front-end issues. HVAC blend door is really the only other common issue. And that 5.7 will really wake-up with a new cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I do know that Roger kept up with regular oil changes. Cosmetically, he was an abuser but mechanically, he did see to it that the running gear was maintained.

It has a tiny exhaust leak. I say tiny because it stops leaking when everything warms up. And, a TPMS valve must be bad but, I can't stand those things. All air pressures are good.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I do know that Roger kept up with regular oil changes. Cosmetically, he was an abuser but mechanically, he did see to it that the running gear was maintained.

It has a tiny exhaust leak. I say tiny because it stops leaking when everything warms up. And, a TPMS valve must be bad but, I can't stand those things. All air pressures are good.
    are you sure its an exhaust leak and not the "Hemi Tick"? My 07 Aspen does it, thought it was a leak at first, but then researched it and found its normal valvetrain noise.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    are you sure its an exhaust leak and not the "Hemi Tick"? My 07 Aspen does it, thought it was a leak at first, but then researched it and found its normal valvetrain noise.
    Not sure but I'm not gonna fool with it any more. I have cleaned it some and I'm going to offer it back to Roger and keep the little Ranger I was going to flip. Roger will either take it back (I doubt it) or I'll sell it. It would make someone a good farm truck, 3/4 ton, 5.7 Hemi, low miles. Farm trucks usually get bumps and bruises anyway. It runs and drives great, it just looks a little sad.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    It would make someone a good farm truck, 3/4 ton, 5.7 Hemi, low miles. Farm trucks usually get bumps and bruises anyway.
    This right here. You could make someone a great price, they go home happy, and you could split the proceeds with your buddy.
    Win-win-win.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I'm trying to think of a reason I'd need a 2500 but damn I see potential there. Once you get passed the required schedule of tetanus shots for the interior.

Top Bottom