• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Well gents, I joined the ranks of the un-employed yesterday. I had an annually renewable contract position with a large global company that is based in Texas and to both my surprise and everyone at the company it was renewed year after year. I had enquired from time-to-time that since I was doing such a good job (which I was), why not hire me full-time? The facilities manager as well as the overall North Texas facilities director both told me that they would love to hire me but the company was heading in the direction of more contractees and less employees. The overall director for North Texas went so far as to tell me he slept better at night knowing I was on the job!

Apparently, being healthy, vibrant, knowledgeable, dependable, safe and friendly isn't enough. I even instituted an energy saving plan and reliability upgrade to the facility, both showed my ability to think outside the box in an effective manner, although the company's on site Electrical Engineer took credit for those ideas. My boss had even recently tried to get me a raise, which was turned down by corporate.

All this means nothing in today's corporate environment.

So, I ask for your prayers as I once again embark on a job search. Now that I'm in my sixties, I fear it may be an uphill battle.
    Gun Zone Deals

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I know exactly what you're going through (I'm 67...almost 68) and my thoughts and prayers are with you!

I've written often about age discrimination in the workforce being illegal but routine today. I strongly suspect that you were caught up in this discrimination against the older worker and there ARE ways that you can fight it. I got tired of the same old crap in employment discrimination and filed an EEO complaint against a company. I WON the case! Investigation showed "There is compelling evidence that you were discriminated against because of your age."

Look at the thread entitled "Brutal Truth About Employment" or similar wording. Some of our members have positions that are well suited for the older worker and they discuss those jobs in that thread. It's worth a look.

Do what you feel is right but regardless, you have my support and prayers! Good Luck!

Flash

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks all for your kind comments.

There's been a couple of developments which I've heard through the grapevine (my ex-fellow employees, all white guys). The company hired a minority to head up the world-wide facilities department. More recently, they hired a minority to head up a "Diversity" office. The company that is supplying the operator to replace me are three former company employees and yes, you guessed it, all three are minorities. The guys at work have told me they will let me know the "diversity" of the new operator.

Understand this, the position didn't go away, they've just decided to give it to someone else.

Sacrificed on the altar of "Diversity", perhaps?

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Thanks all for your kind comments.

There's been a couple of developments which I've heard through the grapevine (my ex-fellow employees, all white guys). The company hired a minority to head up the world-wide facilities department. More recently, they hired a minority to head up a "Diversity" office. The company that is supplying the operator to replace me are three former company employees and yes, you guessed it, all three are minorities. The guys at work have told me they will let me know the "diversity" of the new operator.

Understand this, the position didn't go away, they've just decided to give it to someone else.

and if that's the case. Crime most foul.
    sue the color off them

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My heart goes out to you but I hold out hope. If there's anybody sharp enough to overcome a setback like this, it's you.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'd file an EEO complaint and did so myself. Win or lose, it becomes a permanent record on that company. It sounds like they illegally sacked you in favor of minority people. Your age is probably a factor, too. If you let it go....they get away with it.

Flash

ByrdMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Wasilla, AK
    Sorry to hear that Sapper. It seams to me, and I'm not a business owner, that the smart play for any company would be to hire the best and most qualified person for the job. That seems to be you. To hire a minority solely for the sake of diversity seems to be bad business to me, not to mention pretty ignorant. If you're the best person for the job, you get the job no matter what color you are.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Very sorry to heat that. Being contract really narrows your options.

Your situation is basically the reason this country is toast. Would take at least two generations to overcome the harm of the past 40 years of such politically correct nonsense.

Unlikely that will ever be done by the human product of same, even were they were educated enough to perceive the problem, which they demonstrably are not.

bullgator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Houston TX
    I got laid off in 2010 and forced into retirement last year because of no jobs for persons with that much experience. Anymore it's not what you know, it's who you know. There are penalties for not getting Medicare when you become eligible and know one will tell you about those penalties, because the gov't wants to charge penalties.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Sorry to hear about that Sapper. It sounds like you were doing well and it pains me to see people who do well for their company to be let go for ANY reason. Are you eligible for unemployment payments to hold you over? I know a lot of people don't like going that route because they feel they're a burden to society, but if I recall correctly-your first 6 months are actually paid by your previous employer! The second 6 months-well hell, the way I see it is if you've been paying into it, then you might as well get your money's worth out of it (while still looking for employment of course).

Also, make sure you get with the Texas Workforce Commission. Great group of guys/gals that work there and you'd be surprised at what they can help you find.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Life turns on a dime and this will often cost you dearly. Others will nearly always take credit for your work. Few can be trusted not to stab you in the back. Even your best friend will steal your last dollar if he thinks he can get by with it.

Just trying to cheer you up.;)

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Didn't you tell them you were Canadian? What's more diverse than that?

Good luck on the hunt.

LOL! I became an American citizen 4 years ago.....do you think they held that against me? In truth, the company I worked for is a mini United Nations....here are but a few of the countries represented by the current combined Security and IT departments: Russia, Nigeria, Kenya, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Mexico, India, Eritrea, and, oh yes, the United States. Facilities: all lily white American men. I expect to be replaced by a one legged autistic lesbian transexual African American/Native American mix who was adopted by a Jewish Rastafarian couple.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    LOL! I became an American citizen 4 years ago.....do you think they held that against me? In truth, the company I worked for is a mini United Nations....here are but a few of the countries represented by the current combined Security and IT departments: Russia, Nigeria, Kenya, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Mexico, India, Eritrea, and, oh yes, the United States. Facilities: all lily white American men. I expect to be replaced by a one legged autistic lesbian transexual African American/Native American mix who was adopted by a Jewish Rastafarian couple.

What field are you in?
    PM if you want.

Top Bottom