• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Over the years I've owned about a dozen ARs. From lightweights to heavies. In the last few I've built some 20" guns looking for a consistently sub moa rifle. I've tried ballistic advantage, faxon, AR stoner and PSA. In the end, none have performed as well as an 18" white oak upper I have. I really had high hopes for the BA barrel but it's been underwhelming.

Anyhow, the search continues but I've decided to up the ante a little. My past experience is moving me towards something really nice in the $500-700 range. If nothing else my experience tells me you get what you pay for. I'm not married to the 20" length and would consider anything 18-24. Most of my current rifles are 1:8s but I have a others.

Since I reload and have plenty of projectiles from 50gr up to 75, I can always tailor a load for the rifle. I'm not building for high power comps or any other specific purpose other than a fun accurate bench gun. Right now I'm leaning towards a compass lake barrel but I'm open to suggestions. If you've been there and done that please chime in.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Over the years I've owned about a dozen ARs. From lightweights to heavies. In the last few I've built some 20" guns looking for a consistently sub moa rifle. I've tried ballistic advantage, faxon, AR stoner and PSA. In the end, none have performed as well as an 18" white oak upper I have. I really had high hopes for the BA barrel but it's been underwhelming.

Anyhow, the search continues but I've decided to up the ante a little. My past experience is moving me towards something really nice in the $500-700 range. If nothing else my experience tells me you get what you pay for. I'm not married to the 20" length and would consider anything 18-24. Most of my current rifles are 1:8s but I have a others.

Since I reload and have plenty of projectiles from 50gr up to 75, I can always tailor a load for the rifle. I'm not building for high power comps or any other specific purpose other than a fun accurate bench gun. Right now I'm leaning towards a compass lake barrel but I'm open to suggestions. If you've been there and done that please chime in.
    you could probably get a Lija Barrel or a Lothar-Walther in 1/7 twist for the stuff you reload for

Bamban

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Anderson Mill Area

The WOA barrels and uppers usually have Wilson or maybe a Shilen. If you want top tier cut rifle barrel, Whiteoak Precision (WOP) will hook you up. WOP is another section in Whiteoak, John H himself does those barrels. He stocks cut rifle blanks.

Call WOA ask to talk to John.

If you want to talk barrels, give me a shout. I live in Anderson Mill, right down the road from you. Corner of 183, 620, and Anderson Mill Road.

I crank out a few barrels a year for the TX Juniors, friends and family.

81stfacp@gmail.com

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    For my purposes sub moa will fit the bill. My typical ranges are under 200 yards. Ideally I could pop off a 5 shot group at 1/2-3/4" at 100 yards. If it stayed under 2.5" at 500 yards I'd be delighted. I've had several that are 1.25" 5 shot groups but only my WOA has pulled off 3/4" groups. I've even had a few at .8" using factory m855 ammo which is a big plus.

I'm ready to buy once cry once and have a go to precision AR. I really like my 18" SPR but it's heavy, even though it runs fast for an 18" I wouldn't mind a little more down range fps.

What kind of pricetag does a WOP barrel have?
    I do have another 20" WOA upper I snapped together the other day but it was a weighted barrel upper I removed the lead from. It's possible I already own what I'm looking for but the CLE stuff always comes up in precision AR discussions. I'll have to look into the JP offerings too.

Bamban

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Anderson Mill Area
    For my purposes sub moa will fit the bill. My typical ranges are under 200 yards. Ideally I could pop off a 5 shot group at 1/2-3/4" at 100 yards. If it stayed under 2.5" at 500 yards I'd be delighted. I've had several that are 1.25" 5 shot groups but only my WOA has pulled off 3/4" groups. I've even had a few at .8" using factory m855 ammo which is a big plus.

I'm ready to buy once cry once and have a go to precision AR. I really like my 18" SPR but it's heavy, even though it runs fast for an 18" I wouldn't mind a little more down range fps.

What kind of pricetag does a WOP barrel have?
    I do have another 20" WOA upper I snapped together the other day but it was a weighted barrel upper I removed the lead from. It's possible I already own what I'm looking for but the CLE stuff always comes up in precision AR discussions. I'll have to look into the JP offerings too.

The cut rifle barrels, Krieger, Bartlein, Brux run about 500+ Standard barrels, are about 245

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    As mentioned above, Compass Lake Engineering. Get your debit card out and pick what level of precision you want. Those guys know what they are doing.

White Oak is good, but if I was going to spend big money I’d step up to CLE.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    White Oak was the first name that popped in my head. A lot of good recommendations here.

What about Larue? Surprised there’s been no mention yet.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Take a look at X-caliber barrels.
    For me to be able to shoot these groups with 7.62x39 FMJ ammo, the barrel is definitely a keeper.

20230721_172743.jpg

SpenceNaz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2021
    Krum

I built a couple AR-10 rifles using Shilen bull barrels that are ratchet-rifled and come with a fitted bolt. One was .308 and the other was 6.5 CM and they're both consistently sub-MOA with the right ammo.

I know some people haven't had great luck with Shilen, but I've never had an issue with any of their products.
    Criterion barrels have been excellent as well.

Top Bottom