• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I've got this SR22 still giving me "issues". It has a SS barrel. Went to the range and ran about 3-400 rounds through it. I'm shooting Remington Thunderbolt .22 LR ammo. Admittedly not the cleanest shooting ammo available - but might qualify for the dirtiest! This thing is hitting all over the place. I have a laser on it. Put the laser on the bull's-eye. It "might" hit the bull's-eye, it might hit 4" low, it may go high left or low right. It is so off that at times I can not even tell where, or if, I hit the target at all. I'm not a marksman by any means but I also have a FNS-9C w/laser and if I take my time I can obliterate the bull's-eye @ 7yds. Had two of the range hands shoot it as well, one is the resident gunsmith. To sum up their comments - "holy shit - this thing is all over the place". Gunsmith checked the rifling and said it thought it was just about shot out. "Maybe, got a soft barrel from the factory?" I dunno. Another thing the gunsmith, initially, was that it looked like I had hit the end of the barrel with a cleaning rod and dinged it up.

To me - when I cleaned the barrel the rifling look pretty good. So last time at the range I let the gunsmith look at the barrel before I ever put a round through it. It was CLEAN. He said rifling still looked a weak to him. But I asked him about the dinged up barrel. Once I cleaned it it was gone. I could see any flaw in the end of the barrel and neither could the gunsmith. What's happening is the lead is dragging out of the barrel, sticking to the rifling to the point that when I tried to clean it I could not get a .22 patch/jag to go through the barrel. Ended up putting it in Hoppe's bore cleaner in a plastic zip-lock and running it through the ultra-sonic cleaner. That helped some but I actually had to hammer a .223 bore brush through it then I when I pulled the brush back out of the barrel a flattened piece of lead came out with the brush. My original question "Is this normal?" centers on this bit of information. Is it normal for lead to stick to the barrel/rifling such that you can't even get a jag to go through? Or to have lead dragging out of the barrel that's visible? Is the stainless steel barrel, in part, a reason for lead sticking so bad?

I'm getting it cleaned up now and intend to contact Ruger next week about sending it back for warranty work but just wanted to run this by the folks here to see what their opinion is?
    Venture Surplus ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It's totally ruined. You should send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you, free of charge of course!

Seriously, just sounds like a build-up of leading in the rifling. Totally normal and just needs a good deep cleaning. Common problem with any type of cast lead bullets.

You might see about using a little more aggressive cleaner for lead.

Hope that helps and a Very Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    It's totally ruined. You should send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you, free of charge of course!

LOL... shame the P.O. ain't open today. But come Monday I'll get right on it.

Seriously, just sounds like a build-up of leading in the rifling. Totally normal and just needs a good deep cleaning. Common problem with any type of cast lead bullets.

You might see about using a little more aggressive cleaner for lead.

Hope that helps and a Very Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Sounds like it needs a good cleaning.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Y'all do realize you're talking to Mr. ANAL - right? This gun/barrel was spotless 100% at the beginning of the range round - spotless.

Process for cleaning the barrel:

1.) submerge barrel in hoppe's traditional bore cleaner
    2.) Insert and run in ultra-sonic cleaner for 5 mins.
    3.) 3-4 passes with bore cleaner/.223 brush
    4.) clean with jag/patch until patch comes out clean.
    5.) 3-4 passes with bore cleaner/.223 brush
    6.) clean with jag/patch until patch comes out clean
    7.) re-submerge in bore cleaner insert in ultra-sonic cleaner for 5 mins.
    8.) 3-4 passes with borre cleaner/.223 brush
    9.) clean with jag/patch until patch comes out clean
    10.) Repeat these step until I get tired of doing it.

Bore cleaner tried todate:
    Hoppe's Traditional foaming bore cleaner
    Hoppe's Traditional liquid bore cleaner(soaked over night)
    Hoppe's Traditional liquid bore cleaner multiple 5 minute cycles in Ultra-sonic cleaner
    Other bore cleaners I've tried.

Eliminator Bore Cleaner from Bore Tech., inc
    Breakthrough clean Technologies Bore Cleaner(Military-Grade solvent)

After all those types and methods and after 2-300 rounds I get this: On the left is a .40 cal round. On the right only one of the pieces of lead to come out of this barrel.

sr22 lead.jpg

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    ETA: Interesting.... After working on this barrel for at least two hours, multiple rounds though the ultra-sonic cleaner, multiple repetitions of bore brush/jag/patch. I'm still seeing trash at the end of the barrel and what appears to be pitting in the middle of the barrel between the rifling. I am using a magnifying glass to see this stuff but it's fer sure there. Guess I'll keep'a working on it.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    You would be surprised at what a barrel looks like when you have one of these

Teslong Rigid Pistol Borescope, Gun Cleaning Camera with LED Lights and Right-Angle Mirror with Wi-Fi Connectivity. Fits .20 Caliber, and Larger, Works with iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows MacBook: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I have one for pistol and rifle. I don't know if leading is the cause of your problem or just crummy ammo.
    Thanks! Just ordered me one of those thangs! It's starting to look like leading and improper cleaning. Around the very end of the muzzle I can still see "something". This is right were the lead pieces are accumulating after firing 2-300 rounds. I simply may not have noticed it, well I know I didn't notice it before and left something there for the bullet to drag on. When I got it, this SR22 was pretty much spot on and then started going down hill. I'm going to keep cleaning and working on this barrel until one of two things happen. Either I remove all the inperfections/lead/whatever OR I convince myself that it's something that cleaning won't cure. At which time I'll contact Ruger and either send it back or buy a new barrel for it.

Thanks for the info on the bore scope!

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    My two cents...
    I can't see the pistol being the problem. To me it may be a combo of the shooter or maybe the laser. I would guess the laser with it shooting that far off. What type of laser do you have on it?

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Filthy ammo with soft lead is the problem.

I have an RIA Tac-22 that within 100 rounds of free Remington Thunderbolt was so fouled the bullets were keyholing.

A proper cleaning down to bare metal and change of ammunition to CCI turned it back into an accurate pistol.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks! Just ordered me one of those thangs! It's starting to look like leading and improper cleaning. Around the very end of the muzzle I can still see "something". This is right were the lead pieces are accumulating after firing 2-300 rounds. I simply may not have noticed it, well I know I didn't notice it before and left something there for the bullet to drag on. When I got it, this SR22 was pretty much spot on and then started going down hill. I'm going to keep cleaning and working on this barrel until one of two things happen. Either I remove all the inperfections/lead/whatever OR I convince myself that it's something that cleaning won't cure. At which time I'll contact Ruger and either send it back or buy a new barrel for it.

Thanks for the info on the bore scope!
    You will be amazed at how good these scopes are. I have the rifle scope too and ran it down my SKS. You can't believe how bad that barrel looks.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Filthy ammo with soft lead is the problem.

I have an RIA Tac-22 that within 100 rounds of free Remington Thunderbolt was so fouled the bullets were keyholing.

A proper cleaning down to bare metal and change of ammunition to CCI turned it back into an accurate pistol.
    This has my vote and is pretty consistent with what I'm seeing.

The laser is a LaserMax Spartan(red). I have the same, except for green laser, on my FNS-9C and it is spot on.

I've been cleaning this barrel all day - and I ain't kidding. The pits I mentioned earlier are gone now. The fouling near the end of the muzzle are getting less and less. I'm now using Remington's 40-X Bore cleaner which, for lack of a better term, is a buffing compound along with chemical cleaners.

Don't believe I'll be running anymore Thunderbolt's through this gun. I understand now when you get'em for free they still ain't worth the price of admission!!!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    You will be amazed at how good these scopes are. I have the rifle scope too and ran it down my SKS. You can't believe how bad that barrel looks.
    Might get one for my Model 61. Be a shame if it doesn't look as good as I think it does!

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Once you get the barrel clean, run some copper coated ammo, like CCI Mini Mags, and see if you still have the same problem. I'm thinking you have an ammo problem due to leading the bore.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Once you get the barrel clean, run some copper coated ammo, like CCI Mini Mags, and see if you still have the same problem. I'm thinking you have an ammo problem due to leading the bore.
    Yup that's the same conclusion I came to. I've pretty much discounted with the "Gunsmith" said about weak rifling. I mean... if, with enough experience to call yourself a gunsmith, you can't tell the difference between poking a SS barrel with a brass or aluminum cleaning rod and lead fouling... 'zackly how much do you know about rifling on an SR22? Mmmmm??????

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    All .22’s lead up.
    You just have to be diligent about scrubbing them out after use.
    I’ve a Stoeger Luger 22 that leads up after 200rds. Accuracy goes bad quick.
    Have a GSG rifle that leads up terrible. It even deposits lead in the faux muzzle nut. Every so often i have to chisel it out.
    Thunderbolt ammo is very bad about leaving lead.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    All .22’s lead up.
    You just have to be diligent about scrubbing them out after use.
    I’ve a Stoeger Luger 22 that leads up after 200rds. Accuracy goes bad quick.
    Have a GSG rifle that leads up terrible. It even deposits lead in the faux muzzle nut. Every so often i have to chisel it out.
    Thunderbolt ammo is very bad about leaving lead.
    So I'm finding out. Thing I didn't know is the lead fouling isn't necessarily visible to the naked eye. The barrel looks shiny and slick but is still dirtier'n crap.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    There are many articles about using Chore Boy which is copper wool, wrap around a brass brush and supposed to work miracles. You have to make sure you get the real deal and not steel coated copper. Use a magnet. My wife buys this and although I haven't personally tried it I have some stored away if I need. Make sure it is not steel with copper coating. Chore Boy is the real deal.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    One of my go to products for lead and copper build-up in barrel bores is Kano Kroil penetrant.

I started using the product over ten years ago. I had read an article of benchrest shooters using the KK for a bore solvent and several shooting supply places carried it. It also if used with some burlap cloth, will remove surface rust from metal and won't damage the blueing. Best product for loosening rusted fasteners as well.

It's a great multipurpose product to have around the gun bench or the shop.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    One of my go to products for lead and copper build-up in barrel bores is Kano Kroil penetrant.

I started using the product over ten years ago. I had read an article of benchrest shooters using the KK for a bore solvent and several shooting supply places carried it. It also if used with some burlap cloth, will remove surface rust from metal and won't damage the blueing. Best product for loosening rusted fasteners as well.

It's a great multipurpose product to have around the gun bench or the shop.
    OK... got me some coming... Bore cleaner #4
    Got me some Chore Boy coming as well!

Funny thing is.... I clean the barrel one time. Then jag until clean and the barrel looks clean. Then I go ahead and clean it again, jag til clean and it looks like I can see build-up on the rifling... Go figger!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    OK... got me some coming... Bore cleaner #4
    Got me some Chore Boy coming as well!

Funny thing is.... I clean the barrel one time. Then jag until clean and the barrel looks clean. Then I go ahead and clean it again, jag til clean and it looks like I can see build-up on the rifling... Go figger!

I hear ya! Sometimes rimfires can be a PITA to clean.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom