Is there such a thing as "too much" scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm inclined to suggest that "variable power" is mostly money wasted. Good glass in a fixed 12 to 16 power is enough magnification and just eliminates an adjustment.
    Variable power scopes have their place, but sitting on a bench and punching paper/ringing steel? We're all going to crank it up all the way. Fixed power wins in my book.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hey all,

Jumping in to the whole long-range / precision shooting world, and am a complete novice.
    As such, what better way to do it with a 30" 338 Lapua.

I am looking at a Trijicon 5-50x56mm. Is there a downside to this scope besides maybe SFP?
    I know most would go with a 5-25 or something in that range. But being as the minimum magnification is still 5, doesn't that mean I just have more scope available, without sacrificing any FOV?

Thanks

rman,

Before my eyes started GOING BAD (I'm now 74YO), I was once a "decent shot" with my "lightly customized" Remington 700BDL-LH out to the limits of the German terrain where I hunted (I was stationed in BRD for several years.) with the rifle in .30-06.

IF it was MY rifle, like Vaquero, I would avoid variable-power scopes like the Black Plague & spend my money on a FIXED-POWER & HIGH QUALITY German scope in 8X or perhaps up to 12X. = Most likely a REAL ZEISS scope, even though they are $$$$$$.
    (FYI, I do NOT know a single/skilled German hunter, Forstmeister, Commercial Hunter or Professional Hunter of Africa, who uses a variable-power scope.)

Note: The "selected marksmen" of the German Border Guard Service, who were the best shots that I've ever known, ALL "swear by" ZEISS (& fixed-power) scopes for their "very special" rifles.
    (Inasmuch as those officers' ACCURACY & "nerves of steel" often either save OR do not save the lives of HOSTAGES, they MUST be EXCELLENT shooters at UNKNOWN ranges, so I feel that you should consider their advice.)

Addenda: Years ago, I occasionally was "on the range with" the BGS & their friends in The Swiss Rescue Team members. - The live ammo "rescue games", that those lads play, "took my breath away". ====> I did NOT shoot well enough to be invited to "play" & did NOT want to.
    (At least when I was stationed in Germany, NONE of the team members actually SHOT another team member, though I heard "talk" in the gasthaus that SOME people had "come close" to HITTING another member..)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Last edited:

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Thanks for the input everyone.

I think I took a little from everyone and tried to do something a little different.

Went with the Trijicon Tenmile 4.5-30x56 FFP

although relatively new and unknown, the hours of research I did showed a lot of favoritism to the Trijicon over the other scopes in the $1500-2500 range. Clear clear glass, bright, and built like a tank.
    I’m sure 30x is more than I’ll ever need, but it’s there. The Tenmile scopes replaced the accushot.

Also got the appropriate height accu-tac rings.

I suppose I need to get my PTR-91 MSR out to the range and get my 6.5CM built and shooting to learn the fundamentals, before burning up 338 trying to learn how to dial a turret at 100y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom