APOD Firearms

Is there such a thing as "too much" scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    You’ll be surprised how well a 10/22 works for the fundamentals, especially when you push it out to 100 yards. BX trigger, bipod, stock bag, and a 3-9x are really the only things needed.

Here’s some scaled targets for various distances. Print at 100% or no scaling.

That's great you put that up - Haven't seen Allen around here in a while.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have a 30” 338 Lapua with a NightForce NXS 8-32X56 scope on it. That scope can be had for under $2k if you shop around. I very seldom take the magnification past 22X. Also, if the temp gets above 95° or your barrel gets hot, the mirage is so thick you can’t see with anything over 25X anyway.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Hey all,

Jumping in to the whole long-range / precision shooting world, and am a complete novice.
    As such, what better way to do it with a 30" 338 Lapua.

I am looking at a Trijicon 5-50x56mm. Is there a downside to this scope besides maybe SFP?
    I know most would go with a 5-25 or something in that range. But being as the minimum magnification is still 5, doesn't that mean I just have more scope available, without sacrificing any FOV?

Thanks
    I hope you reload and have a range that allows 338 Lapua.

Beyond that have fun.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    If you have the Scrilla, get German glass like Zeiss.

The Japanese glass can be just as good as any German (Schott) glass. It all depends on what quality of lenses each scope manufacture specs for each series of scopes that they offer.
    Lenses are just like everything else, they come in all kinds of quality specifications and coatings.
    Just because a scope has German glass doesn't mean it has high quality glass.

Optically, There's not much difference in a lot of scopes in the $1500 - $3000 range, but quality and mechanical differences do come out in the open when you operate the scopes.
    The Alpha tier scopes in the $3000+ - $4000+ range are where you get the best of everything, and they are worth every dime if you can afford them.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    The Japanese glass can be just as good as any German (Schott) glass. It all depends on what quality of lenses each scope manufacture specs for each series of scopes that they offer.
    Lenses are just like everything else, they come in all kinds of quality specifications and coatings.
    Just because a scope has German glass doesn't mean it has high quality glass.

Optically, There's not much difference in a lot of scopes in the $1500 - $3000 range, but quality and mechanical differences do come out in the open when you operate the scopes.
    The Alpha tier scopes in the $3000+ - $4000+ range are where you get the best of everything, and they are worth every dime if you can afford them.
    I have Japanese glass. It is good and would agree mostly. There are some advantages to German glass but they allude me right now.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The Vortex Razor HD is a good scope, but weighs 3lbs. I'd stay away from the Viper series, they are known for a lot of failures. Great warranty if you always want to use it.

You might want to look at the Athlon Cronus BTR, Delta Stryker HD, and Tract Toric HD. I've got a Cronus and Delta Stryker. They don't give up much to my S&B, Nightforce, and IOR scopes that cost over twice as much.

For an even better deal, look hard at this scope. While the DMR II is a little dated design, it's one hell of a deal at this price.
    The advertised weight of the Razor is 21.5oz. I just weighed mine with a LaRue cantilever mount and it weighed 31.5oz. So, if you accept that an aluminum cantilever mount w/rings weighs 10oz. then the advertised weight is correct. Saying it weighs 3#'s might be a tad excessive.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So your use to driving a pinto and you went and got a Dodge Demon. Lol

I made that same mistake. 338 has the ooo ahh factor. But it's stupid expensive (if you don't reload) and recoil can cause some- beginner LR shooter issues.

LR is all about frequency and data collecting. @ $90 a box.... neither one of those happens. With that being said... you can have $3500 scope on a custom $5000 rifle. If you don't focus on learning wind, all that money is worthless. LR is a wind game. Period!

So, don't get caught up in equipment. Just get out and shoot, learn.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    OK hear me out. Doing more research on the scopes - lots of people are LOVING the trijicon tenmiles (formerly accushot). They compare them to NF NXS & NX8, Better than Razor HD, etc.

Seems the 4.5-30 FFP is a more viable option, better clarity, etc. Basically the same scope as a Delta, all manufactured in Japan by L.O.W.

I dunno, I just like getting things that are a little different. Still way more research to do, and I'm at least a couple months away from pulling the trigger.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    The advertised weight of the Razor is 21.5oz. I just weighed mine with a LaRue cantilever mount and it weighed 31.5oz. So, if you accept that an aluminum cantilever mount w/rings weighs 10oz. then the advertised weight is correct. Saying it weighs 3#'s might be a tad excessive.

I don't know which Razor that you're talking about, but the Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 weighs 48.5 ounces. Last time I checked that was 3+ pounds!

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    If you don't focus on learning wind, all that money is worthless. LR is a wind game. Period!

Here's all you need to know about wind inside 800 yards or so unless you live where Josh does.

1614177675267.png

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I don't know which Razor that you're talking about, but the Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 weighs 48.5 ounces. Last time I checked that was 3+ pounds!

I see... that wasn't the scope I weighed. I see "Razor HD" and I was thinking of the one I have which is the LPVO 1-10. And yes... 48.5 ounces is spot on 3#'s 5oz.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    OK hear me out. Doing more research on the scopes - lots of people are LOVING the trijicon tenmiles (formerly accushot). They compare them to NF NXS & NX8, Better than Razor HD, etc.

Seems the 4.5-30 FFP is a more viable option, better clarity, etc. Basically the same scope as a Delta, all manufactured in Japan by L.O.W.

I dunno, I just like getting things that are a little different. Still way more research to do, and I'm at least a couple months away from pulling the trigger.

There are several scope brands that use the same body design, and all are made by LOW. While there are brand specific differences in the features, reticle design, and even lense quality / coatings, all are close to the same.
    Just pick one that has a reticle that you can use, and also the features that you want.

The Athlon Cronus that I have is the original Cronus. I bought it for 1/2 price when they came out with the Cronus BTR. Now they have the Cronus BTR Gen 2, so you can find the Gen1's at a big discount.

I bought the newest version of the Delta Stryker HD a couple months ago. Other than having Locking turret's and better feeling turrets, the optical quality is about the same as my older Cronus. But they are both great scopes to use and look through.
    I don't think they lag behind my PM II , ATACR, or Recon very much optical wise, plus they track and hold zero very well.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    That's the reason I sold my Revic PMR428. It weighs the same as the Razor HD. I replaced it with a S&B PM II and saved about 10 ounces.
    Just as an aside... I have 2 AR15's one LaRue and the other is PSA. I pulled the Razor HD Gen III off the LaRue to weigh them. The LaRue felt a whole lot heavier - lots. Then I weighed them. The LaRue came in w/o mag @ 6.8#s and the PSA @ 6.2#s. Was surprised to see how much, basically 1/2#s, makes. Quite surprising.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...LR is a wind game. Period!

So, don't get caught up in equipment. Just get out and shoot, learn.

This x1000. People laugh, but my $175 Axis II 6.5 and a $450 Vortex DB Tactical FFP are both way more capable of repeatable precision than I am. One day I’ll probably drop the action/barrel in an MDT chassis and upgrade the optic, and that’ll be competitive if I choose to go down that path.

Until then, I’m learning about wind effect on a fast, flat featherweight while I wait to source reasonably priced 6.5 dies and components.

Top Bottom