Target Sports

Is there such a thing as "too much" scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Hey all,

Jumping in to the whole long-range / precision shooting world, and am a complete novice.
    As such, what better way to do it with a 30" 338 Lapua.

I am looking at a Trijicon 5-50x56mm. Is there a downside to this scope besides maybe SFP?
    I know most would go with a 5-25 or something in that range. But being as the minimum magnification is still 5, doesn't that mean I just have more scope available, without sacrificing any FOV?

Thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I prefer FFP for distance. But that is me.
    Can you have too good of a scope? Absolutely not.
    Can you have too much magnification? Absolutely you can.
    Especially if you are trying to hold you crosshairs perfectly still. You will have as much wobble at 5x as you will at 50x, but it is more pronounced. And people tend to fight "all that wobble" instead of using it. And sometimes, you just flat don't need it. Less can be more.
    Balance what you get between what you are going to use it for, your level, and you personally.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Magnification and focal plane aren’t the only things to consider when you start turning turrets. You want to consider how much elevation adjustment is available and in what increments. Depending on ballistic profile and distance, adding elevation to the base may be what’s required and that can really limit how close you can shoot as well.

I know nothing about the specific optic asked about. Making the jump to long range, the first real question is MOA or MRAD; use what you are used to at first.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'll add my limited amount of input here as well. Lens quality and precise and accurate turret adjustments are critical for long range and precision shooting. Both of which usually cost money to get. There is a good reason that some scopes are very expensive that people that participate in long range shooting will spend the money on a quality scope.

Scopes have made huge advancements in just the last ten years. Lens have gotten better, and much easier to manufacture for less money.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Once you start getting up in distance, clarity beats magnification. Cheaper scopes start getting dark.

I have no problems seeing stuff out to 1000 yards with a 25x scope. I've got a 12-42x scope I usually keep turned down.

YMMV.

Exactly true. Many cheaper scopes will try to compensate for lens quality or clarity with higher magnification.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Another thing to keep in mind is an accurate return to zero capability.

One thing I did when I went down this path was to shoot 5 dots in a center dot/square configurations at a known distance with as many conditions controlled as possible. The only adjustments was to dial the turrets around to the new dot for five rounds of five shots to sheet how much that changed ground size for each dot.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    It depends on the type of shooting you're doing.
    Benchrest or F-class shooter's usually prefer 2nd focal plane scopes because they are shooting at known distances and standard type paper targets.

Long range and PRS type shooter's generally prefer 1st focal plane scopes for not only ranging targets, but for using it for hold offs and making wind adjustments.

What is your budget for a scope? Don't now many shooter's using Trijicon scopes for long range work. Too many better options out there.
    I have no problem using 5-25x or 4.5-30x scopes out to a mile. Depending on the weather and mirage, a lot of time you can't dial over 16-20x and still be able to see clearly.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Thanks everyone. I just got the idea from a gun review I was reading and they strapped that scope to the gun. I believe MSRP is 2700 and typical market price is about 1800-2000

Have also looked at the Vortex Vipers and Razors, people seem to be happy with 5-25ish at around 1599 for the Razors.

In all honesty, I just want to learn how to shoot far and get good at it. Not necessarily compete or anything like that. Just an idea that I decided to act on with an extreme round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    @rman

Q1: What distance are you comfortable shooting at today?
    Q2s. How much experience do you have unknown distance targets?

Here’s a good reference on elevation travel necessary out to 1400 yards with a .1 mil click. Note the author is using a 2” scope base.

Are you ready?

I’ve only shot at 100y in the past. Seemed simple enough.

I have no knowledge of shooting unknown distances and less than no knowledge of wind drift.

This should be fun

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I know you didn't ask about calibers but you might not be able to practice as much with a 338. It's expensive and a lot of places won't let you shoot it. 308 or 6.5 CM will get you over 1000 yards without breaking the bank.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Are you ready?

I’ve only shot at 100y in the past. Seemed simple enough.

I have no knowledge of shooting unknown distances and less than no knowledge of wind drift.

This should be fun

Everybody has to start somewhere. Before I started exploring long range, my longest shots were at various unknown distances out to 300 yards, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

I asked that question to gain an understanding of the learning curve you face. The fundamentals of long range aren’t different, but precise execution of the fundamentals based on the data you collect for the conditions you face is absolutely required.

These skills can he honed on a .22LR rifle and scaled targets at 100 yds. Makes the hundreds practice reps a lot easier on the wallet. You’ll also want a good spotting scope and a notebook to write down your data for every single shot you take as you build your dope book up.

I’m by no means an expert on the subject, but went down this path a couple years ago starting with precision rimfire, long range precision rimfire, then long range precision with a 6.5CM, and know going back to the 17HMR which had a whole different set of challenges due to the lightweight projectile.

Hopefully you find something helpful.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Everybody has to start somewhere. Before I started exploring long range, my longest shots were at various unknown distances out to 300 yards, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

I asked that question to gain an understanding of the learning curve you face. The fundamentals of long range aren’t different, but precise execution of the fundamentals based on the data you collect for the conditions you face is absolutely required.

These skills can he honed on a .22LR rifle and scaled targets at 100 yds. Makes the hundreds practice reps a lot easier on the wallet. You’ll also want a good spotting scope and a notebook to write down your data for every single shot you take as you build your dope book up.

I’m by no means an expert on the subject, but went down this path a couple years ago starting with precision rimfire, long range precision rimfire, then long range precision with a 6.5CM, and know going back to the 17HMR which had a whole different set of challenges due to the lightweight projectile.

Hopefully you find something helpful.

Thanks for the info. I have a PTR91 MSR that’s supposed to be somewhat “precision”... for what it is.

Also plan to build a 6.5CM on a ar10/lr308 platform. I suppose I can work my way up with those guns, even perhaps my old 5.56 colt spotter, or one of my kids’ 10/22s. Learn the fundamentals before I go spend $300 in ammo trying to sight in my scope on the Lapua haha.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I know you didn't ask about calibers but you might not be able to practice as much with a 338. It's expensive and a lot of places won't let you shoot it. 308 or 6.5 CM will get you over 1000 yards without breaking the bank.

Thanks. Those are two other guns, albeit semiauto, that I plan to stretch my legs with.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Thanks everyone. I just got the idea from a gun review I was reading and they strapped that scope to the gun. I believe MSRP is 2700 and typical market price is about 1800-2000

Have also looked at the Vortex Vipers and Razors, people seem to be happy with 5-25ish at around 1599 for the Razors.

In all honesty, I just want to learn how to shoot far and get good at it. Not necessarily compete or anything like that. Just an idea that I decided to act on with an extreme round.

The Vortex Razor HD is a good scope, but weighs 3lbs. I'd stay away from the Viper series, they are known for a lot of failures. Great warranty if you always want to use it.

You might want to look at the Athlon Cronus BTR, Delta Stryker HD, and Tract Toric HD. I've got a Cronus and Delta Stryker. They don't give up much to my S&B, Nightforce, and IOR scopes that cost over twice as much.

For an even better deal, look hard at this scope. While the DMR II is a little dated design, it's one hell of a deal at this price.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    The Vortex Razor HD is a good scope, but weighs 3lbs. I'd stay away from the Viper series, they are known for a lot of failures. Great warranty if you always want to use it.

You might want to look at the Athlon Cronus BTR, Delta Stryker HD, and Tract Toric HD. I've got a Cronus and Delta Stryker. They don't give up much to my S&B, Nightforce, and IOR scopes that cost over twice as much.

For an even better deal, look hard at this scope. While the DMR II is a little dated design, it's one hell of a deal at this price.

Thanks, I’ll look into those. Weight may not be too much of an issue, the rifle is already 13-15lbs unloaded. It’s a beast.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Thanks for the info. I have a PTR91 MSR that’s supposed to be somewhat “precision”... for what it is.

Also plan to build a 6.5CM on a ar10/lr308 platform. I suppose I can work my way up with those guns, even perhaps my old 5.56 colt spotter, or one of my kids’ 10/22s. Learn the fundamentals before I go spend $300 in ammo trying to sight in my scope on the Lapua haha.

You’ll be surprised how well a 10/22 works for the fundamentals, especially when you push it out to 100 yards. BX trigger, bipod, stock bag, and a 3-9x are really the only things needed.

Here’s some scaled targets for various distances. Print at 100% or no scaling.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom