Patriot Mobile

Is there any competition shooting out here in San Antonio?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Boy i miss competition!... i need to get back into something... 3 gun, trap/skeet, idpa, gssf... anything.

i never hear of it going on out here though.. is there an sub-culture i need to be plugged into?

Thanks!
    Gun Zone Deals

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I posted this in another thread asking the same question, so instead of typing it all out I just copied it here...

There are several venues for matches in San Antonio, these are the ones that come to mind (and the names are linked to the web sites)...

River City Shooters - Blackhawk Range on the SW side of town. I've shot IDPA with them and loved it. Great group of guys, very friendly and very safe. Highly recommended.

Texas Tactical - Run by "Iron Mike" Webb up at Cedar Creek range just NW of SA. Mike runs IDPA, Carbine, Night/Lowlight, Shotgun and Three Gun. Very popular and well run from what I have heard.

Bullethole - On the westside of town, probably the closest to SA. I haven't shot a match there but I have shot at their ranges, and all I have to say is I hope they run their matches better than they run their ranges! No safety officers or supervision, and I have personally witnessed numerous violations that should have resulted in people being removed (such as handling weapons while the ranges is cold and people are checking their targets). I will only shoot there on weekdays when there is less of a crowd, but I still try to avoid the place. But I do know people who shoot there, and even someone who works there, that like the place so "your mileage may vary."

I did stop by A Place To Shoot yesterday and didn't notice anything about competitions. It is on the opposite side of town from where I live (but only about 20 minutes away from where I work), so even if there were I would probably go to one of the above locations first...

Cheers! M2

tumbleweed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    san antonio
    That was to me MMM, and thanks! :) Texas Bulldog gimme a month or two more to get down to Texas and figure out the new job stuff and I'll be hopping in the car with you. We just had one of our rare ICORE matches up this way (SF Bay Area, CA) and I forgot how fun it is to shoot a 627 on the run while dodging the rain puddles in the CoF's. :) I'm thinking River City Shooters would be the place to get started.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    Your best bet would be with the Texas Tactical group. I have shot with Mike's group for over a year and would highly recommend it to everyone.

There will be a carbine shoot this Saturday at the Cedar Ridge range, if it doesn't rain heavily again, gate opens at 0745 to let Mike in the range and all those who want to help set up the different stages. Parking can get tight so it's best to help set-up. Range opens at 0900 and we start shooting between 0945 and 1000. I won't be there this Sat. due to work but I will be up in Austin for the shoot at ARC this Sunday.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Your best bet would be with the Texas Tactical group. I have shot with Mike's group for over a year and would highly recommend it to everyone.

There will be a carbine shoot this Saturday at the Cedar Ridge range, if it doesn't rain heavily again, gate opens at 0745 to let Mike in the range and all those who want to help set up the different stages. Parking can get tight so it's best to help set-up. Range opens at 0900 and we start shooting between 0945 and 1000. I won't be there this Sat. due to work but I will be up in Austin for the shoot at ARC this Sunday.

I agree, I shot with these guys for the first time last month and I had a blast. I did the Carbine and the IDPA shoot with them. All were very friendly and most were very eager to help and provide advice for those of us new to competitions. There is a Carbine Match this Saturday at Cedar Ridge Shooting Range in Comal County, just up 281. PM me if anyone needs more details or wants to hook up and head out.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    I used to shoot with Mike way back when (over eight years ago? wow time flies) at the range on 290 between Johnson City and F'burg and also in Dripping Springs. Good times.

Top Bottom