Is there a Mini-14 that isn’t the Mini-14?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I'm tired of seeing my bastardized SKS every time I come to the forum, lol!

Attachments

• 2cd7f6c7428f39a926856ae36d3d4ea2.jpg
      2cd7f6c7428f39a926856ae36d3d4ea2.jpg
      250.5 KB · Views: 302

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No mention of a M1 carbine?

From what I've read, they are not the most reliable things out there, mainly due to the mags. Apparently, the newly made ones aren't that great, and most of the USGI mags have been used and abused for decades. I believe that Ian from Forgotten Weapons made the comment once that out of all the M1 carbines he's shot (both new and old), not a single one has ever been able to make it through a shooting match without jamming. Probably, your best chance at getting one to run perfectly would be to find a USGI carbine in great mechanical condition (no repros), and an almost mint USGI mag (again, no repros). Or at least, that's what I've been told.

They're still cool guns and I really want one.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    From what I've read, they are not the most reliable things out there, mainly due to the mags. Apparently, the newly made ones aren't that great, and most of the USGI mags have been used and abused for decades. I believe that Ian from Forgotten Weapons made the comment once that out of all the M1 carbines he's shot (both new and old), not a single one has ever been able to make it through a shooting match without jamming. Probably, your best chance at getting one to run perfectly would be to find a USGI carbine in great mechanical condition (no repros), and an almost mint USGI mag (again, no repros). Or at least, that's what I've been told.

they are very temperamental guns, and while mags are the weakest link, it's far from the only issue. in my experience, they need to be run wet, NOS USGI , and a chamber that is absolutely spotless, amongst other things.

a lot of it is simply due to the fact the newest USGI carbine was made in 1945, but also it was a rather quick design, and it doesn't hold up over time

stupid fun to shoot though, but very expensive, even for the sub-par commercial guns
    15 - 13.jpg

Attachments

• 15 - 13.jpg
      15 - 13.jpg
      303.9 KB · Views: 238

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex

Very cool guns.
    Have a couple of USGI ones and though I haven't put many rounds through them, I also can not remember having a single malfunction with them. Bought a box of surplus magazines awhile back and pretty sure that might change. It wouldn't be my first option, but wouldn't call it unreliable.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom