Rural Wise County, TX.
    Birdseed shot.jpg

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If not best for home defense purposes, what is a shotgun best used as?
    My shockwave is my preferred tool for motel rooms. Benelli M1-Super 90 and M4 are preferred scatter guns for the house. Shockwave loaded with 8+1 of the Aguila or Federal mini buckshot and the Benellis loaded with 8 rounds each of Hornady Critical Duty buckshot. We have no really close neighbors though so over penetration is not really an issue

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

A shotgun is, and was primarily a hunting firearm for small and feathered animals. But a shotgun is very versatile and can be used in many different applications depending upon how the shotgun is configured, and what type of ammo is used.

ETA: I am one of those that believes the shotgun is one of the best firearms pressed into duty for home defense, because they are such a versatile weapon, and for the most part fairly simple to operate even for those that are not as up on operating firearms.

I like the shotgun because it doesn't need as much precision in aiming like most pistols or rifles. They still do require being aimed, regardless of what is seen on TV or the movies.

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I keep a Mossberg Shockwave 12ga loaded with 00 buck at my beside, but it is not the only gun within reach.

Are you comfortable with the size, weight, and recoil of at least a 20ga, or better a 12ga, loaded with #4 to 00 buck? If so, a shotgun can be an effective home defense weapon for normal home ranges.

I have no personal knowledge, but gather, from the net, that many women find an AR easier to handle and less intimidating to shoot than a shotgun.

If you choose a shotgun, I suggest it should be one with a shoulder stock, and probably a semi auto, or even a double barrel, rather than a pump, unless you are willing to spend some rounds to master the pump.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    I keep a Mossberg Shockwave 12ga loaded with 00 buck at my beside, but it is not the only gun within reach.

Are you comfortable with the size, weight, and recoil of at least a 20ga, or better a 12ga, loaded with #4 to 00 buck? If so, a shotgun can be an effective home defense weapon for normal home ranges.

I have no personal knowledge, but gather, from the net, that many women find an AR easier to handle and less intimidating to shoot than a shotgun.

If you choose a shotgun, I suggest it should be one with a shoulder stock, and probably a semi auto, or even a double barrel, rather than a pump, unless you are willing to spend some rounds to master the pump.
    Nothing like the racking sound of a pump shotgun to slow a night visitor down.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Nothing like the racking sound of a pump shotgun to slow a night visitor down.
    Anyway, in the movies... Are you willing to give away that second? Do you carry unchambered? I'm not... I don't...

I'm guessing ThatPunkGirl is a woman with limited shotgun experience, and that influenced my statements.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Anyway, in the movies... Are you willing to give away that second? Do you carry unchambered? I'm not... I don't...

I'm guessing ThatPunkGirl is a woman with limited shotgun experience, and that influenced my statements.
    Loaded shotgun handy with wife rambling around with vacuum, dustcloth and no telling what else, yes. The hydra shok loaded Beretta in the nightstand is ready and waiting however.

Coltguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Magnolia
    I happened upon this article and found it mirroring my own shotgun usage as of late. I haven't gotten rid of my shotguns but I found I just don't use them for home defense since I finally accepted the fact that loads like the 55 grain M193 FMJ or soft point 223/5.56 in an AR won't

of all the guns I own and they are varied, if a bad guy breaks into my home, he dies from the Remington 870 most likely

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    of all the guns I own and they are varied, if a bad guy breaks into my home, he dies from the Remington 870 most likely
    Maybe mine too. A 20 ga. I bought when I was 12 years old. Un-registered, un-backgrounded and un-traceable. Loaded with Express buck and one in the hand for the mag after the rack.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun

Quail, pheasant, Hungarian Partridge, chukars, ducks, geese, wabbits, and clay pigeons.

I have one ready to go hanging in my closet for yard/perimeter defense, but for the most part for HD I have a bunch of handguns and an AR pistol. (no kids or grandkids)

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas

I keep my Win 1300 12 ga next to my bed "POLICE CAR READY". Chamber is empty, but the trigger is in the fired position. Heaven forbid I ever use it, but if the need arises it's a quick pump shoot.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I keep my Win 1300 12 ga next to my bed "POLICE CAR READY". Chamber is empty, but the trigger is in the fired position. Heaven forbid I ever use it, but if the need arises it's a quick pump shoot.
    One less round, and the first thing the home invader knows about you is where you are... might as well fire a warning shot...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    One less round, and the first thing the home invader knows about you is where you are... might as well fire a warning shot...

I have to disagree, since I do the same as @Ozzman . Just a safer way to store the shotgun close and also have it ready to go at a moment's notice. For me, racking the slide to chamber a round, isn't a warning or a locator for an intruder or attacker. The next sound they hear after I rack the slide, is the firing pin dropping.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I had and took the opportunity to walk thru an old house once upon a time.
    My friend and I shot around 50 rounds of Dove and Quail load into that building.
    Not known as a defensive load, yet some shot penetrated almost every where we shot.
    Interior walls might as well have not been there.
    After the experience I decided the 12 gauge was my home defense gun of choice.
    If I know where the BG is I can stop him. He may have concealment but no cover anywhere.
    Just in case I'm wrong, the last couple of rounds are slugs. [and no more dove loads]

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I had a similar experience. I walked through an older abandoned house trailer on a friends ranch ( older and well built. ) Dove loads really did the damage. I kept a loaded 12 ga with birdshot in my bedroom in order to blow a hole in the outside wall of the trailer I lived in just in case of a fire I needed to escape.

Top Bottom