• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I have both a 10.5 inch AR pistol and an 18.5" Mossberg 12ga handy as the main "home defense" weapons. Both have red dot sights. Both will make your day go horribly, horribly wrong if you are dumb enough to break into our home. Both will also dispatch any nasty critter that might need dispatching (thinking hogs) if I need to. I'd like to actually swap the 12ga for a 20 so my wife can manage it easier, the 12ga even with "low recoil" loads is a bit stout for her. If that's not enough, there's a .30-30 Winchester to back those two up that is handy if needed.
    Is the 5.56 effective on hogs out of that short a barrel?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Is the 5.56 effective on hogs out of that short a barrel?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Couldn't be less effective than 9mm, and with 30 rounds on tap if they need shot more than once to go down, so be it. I'm dragging ass on my current AR project and keep thinking of building it into a 6.5 Grendel or .300 blackout pistol as a more hog-appropriate gun but I'm not sure yet. Holding off on completing it for a while (I could slap an upper on it now and have a functional pistol, or get a std buffer tube & stock and go rifle) to see if panic prices subside.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I'm not for sure where the OP is getting his information from, or the validity of that information.

IMO, the shotgun is still the best home defensive weapon for most people. The distances they would used at within the home, ammo selections that are available, and that they don't require the same precision in aiming that rifles or pistols require.
    Get ready to replace a bunch of stuff if you unload with a shotgun in your living room......Not to mention the blood splattered walls..LoL

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Get ready to replace a bunch of stuff if you unload with a shotgun in your living room......Not to mention the blood splattered walls..LoL

I'm pretty sure any gun shot within the house is going to leave some holes and blood around. Granted, a shotgun is probably going to be a bit messier than others.

But, if the small price to pay is cleaning up some blood splatter and fixing a few holes in the walls and everyone is safe from an attacker, I'll pay that price.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX

equin; All,

Fwiw, MSG LaShawn Stanley, USA, Retired & former member of the Weapons Committee of USAISC, stated in 2019 that it was his belief that out to well beyond 15M that #2 GOOSE SHOT was "clearly superior to buckshot, rifled slugs or high-power rifle rounds, with respect to lethality against human intruders & causes 'minimal overpenetration' when used inside a residential or commercial structure. Moreover #2 goose shot is unlikely to cause severe or lethal wounds to human targets beyond 50M".
    (It is well-known here that I prefer #4 buckshot for that task as #4 is DISABLING or LETHAL against human targets out to at least 25-30M.)

yours, satx

This is all excellent info!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    phil003.jpeg

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Relevant? Yes. Good enough? Probably. Ideal? Probably not.

The AR has taken its place for a reason. I'd still rather have a Mossberg 500 than a bottom-tier AR, though.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Everyone knows that you must have a (govt approved) shotty for home defense! Racking the slide will send even the most hardened criminals running for the hills. In the rare occasion that that doesn't work you just give 'em two blasts through the closed door. Take it from Uncle Joe...he knows.

Sorry if someone already posted a similar comment. I wasn't going through 24 pages to make sure.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Relevant? Yes. Good enough? Probably. Ideal? Probably not.

The AR has taken its place for a reason. I'd still rather have a Mossberg 500 than a bottom-tier AR, though.

With some of the issues ive had with mossberg, id take the bottom tier AR. that can be fixed and improved easily.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    Bigboy2014,

There is NO such thing as an "all purpose firearm".

yours, satx
    I beg to differ. A well equiped 12ga is exactly that. There is a whole galaxy of shell lenghths (1-3/4 mini's to 3-1/2mag) and shot combinations (#12 bird to 000buck, slugs, Dragon's breath, darts, bean bag, bolo, rubber ball, and more available in lead, steel, TUNGSTEN, rock salt, broken glass, sky's the limit if you home roll!) compounded by the different barrel lengths and choke tubes; except for long distance, there isn't much a man can't to with a shotgun.

Full Disclosure: I am very much biased, shotguns are my main thing....

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I beg to differ. A well equiped 12ga is exactly that. There is a whole galaxy of shell lenghths (1-3/4 mini's to 3-1/2mag) and shot combinations (#12 bird to 000buck, slugs, Dragon's breath, darts, bean bag, bolo, rubber ball, and more available in lead, steel, TUNGSTEN, rock salt, broken glass, sky's the limit if you home roll!) compounded by the different barrel lengths and choke tubes; except for long distance, there isn't much a man can't to with a shotgun.

Full Disclosure: I am very much biased, shotguns are my main thing....

I'm one of those that doesn't believe in a perfect weapon, but for a home defensive weapon, because of what you mentioned, the shotgun is pretty close to perfect IMO.

They are very versatile because of the so many different types of ammo that they can use.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    "They are very versatile because of the so many different types of ammo that they can use. "
    ^^^ Agreed, I doubt there is any single firearm that is so versatile and can be effective in as many situations and environments with the proper ammo.

Top Bottom