• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Axxe55,

In all seriousness, I long ago admitted to myself that I'm fallible & simply QUIT worrying about making mistakes of FACT & LOGIC, provided that I conform to the advice of my old boss (Major General Cook), who said (MORE THAN ONCE) in divisional staff meetings, "I am seldom concerned when we as a Division make mistakes, as I make many errors every day myself BUT what really concerns me is when we repeat the SAME STUPID mistakes. - Please DO YOUR BEST, try to keep us all from LOOKING FOOLISH & I'll happily 'take the flack from higher' for the honest errors."

yours, satx
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Axxe55,

In all seriousness, I long ago admitted to myself that I'm fallible & simply QUIT worrying about making mistakes of FACT & LOGIC, provided that I conform to the advice of my old boss (Major General Cook), who said (MORE THAN ONCE) in divisional staff meetings, "I am seldom concerned when we as a Division make mistakes, as I make many errors every day myself BUT what really concerns me is when we repeat the SAME STUPID mistakes. - Please try to keep us from LOOKING FOOLISH & I'll happily 'take the flack from higher' for the honest errors."

yours, satx

I'm human, so I make mistakes, but I try like hell not to make the same mistake again!

I call mistakes a learning experience. I learned what doesn't work from making mistakes.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Speaking of triggerd.....

Who wants to make book on when the ban hammer starts swinging?

By my expert interpretation of the downward spiral my highly edumacated estimate is Tuesday October 6 and 327pm.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Speaking of triggerd.....

Who wants to make book on when the ban hammer starts swinging?

By my expert interpretation of the downward spiral my highly edumacated estimate is Tuesday October 6 and 327pm.

oo are we starting a pool?

put me down for that thursday 6pm

where do i send my 5 bucks?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Cut your barrel down, blab about it on the internet, watch the ATF show up.

DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM THESE KEYBOARD “EXPERTS” THEY ARE SETTING YOU UP.
    Thank you. Seems like every time I read something you post I am able to say” wow , that is the stupidest shit I have read on the Internet today”

You are the gift that keeps on giving.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    cycleguy2300,

FYI, as my friends here & elsewhere know, I'm "no particular fan of" either the AR16/M-16/M4 sort of rifles in 5.56mm for hunting any animal over 100 pounds, as it as the well-founded reputation as a "poor killer" & as a "good wounder".
    (WOUNDING, rather than KILLING, is PREFERRED from a military tactical standpoint, as a soldier who is KIA is a problem only for Graves Registration but a WIA soldier takes 6-8 persons to care for the wounded SM.)

My PREFERENCE for HUNTING any animal over 100# & up to game that is larger/tougher than elk is a 7.62NATO/.308WCF or larger caliber & in a PUMP shotgun/rifle.
    (As a "WRONG-HANDED guy", I'm very fond of & collect REMINGTON pump rifles. - My "HEAVY rifle" is a Model 760 in 9.3x62mm that Jessie at JES reformatted for me.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

I hear ya and wouldn't say I disagree.

Anecdotally I have not had problems dropping even hefty hogs with 5.56, which is convenient as my AR pistol is much handier than my SCAR17. For me 5.56 checks the "works" box for man and Texas beasts. 7.62x51 checks the "works and then some" box and opens up additional options.

I have been wanting a classic, simple Mauser actioned 9.3x62mm, nothing fancy. Someday, after a nice thermal scope (which itself is mostly a dream)

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I hear ya and wouldn't say I disagree.

Anecdotally I have not had problems dropping even hefty hogs with 5.56, which is convenient as my AR pistol is much handier than my SCAR17. For me 5.56 checks the "works" box for man and Texas beasts. 7.62x51 checks the "works and then some" box and opens up additional options.

I have been wanting a classic, simple Mauser actioned 9.3x62mm, nothing fancy. Someday, after a nice thermal scope (which itself is mostly a dream)

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300,

IMO, you should find yourself a "Plain Jane" rifle that you like (perhaps even with a "shot-out", rusted or pitted barrel) & send it to Jessie at JES & ask him to do his MAGIC.
    (Jessie's work is flawless, LOW in price & his usual "turn-around time" is about 2 weeks.)

My much loved 9.3x62mm started off as a BADLY PITTED Model 760 in .30-06 that I found on the "sale rack" & "for peanuts" at Valley Guns near our "mountain lair" in WV & it now shoots BETTER than I do. = The reboring/rechambering work that Jessie does will make you a "life member in good-standing" of the "JES FAN CLUB".

NOTE: ONE thing that I especially like about the "old-school" 9.3x57 and the 9.3x62mm is that cases for both calibers can be easily reformed from 8x57mm Mauser or .30-06 brass & are "cast bullet friendly".
    (I use ONLY once-fired Lake City .30-06 brass that I get "for free" from a Garand match shooter, who doesn't reload & MOSTLY my home-brewed 290 grain GCCB for handloading.)
    280-320 grains of "recycled wheel weights" at 1800-2100FPS, out of either 9.3mm caliber, will take any animal short of a T-Rex & does NOT ruin a lot of edible meat, either.
    (The 9.3x57mm cartridge of the WWI era is still the "favored medicine" for moose, Red Deer & reindeer "commercial hunters" in Northern Europe, as it is ADEQUATE for those species & does NOT "blood-shot" edible/saleable meat.)
    ADDENDA: I have noticed, in the last few years, any number of "perfectly suitable" 9.3x57mm sporting rifles at "GREAT PRICES" in the gun shows that dealers are "bringing in" from Northern Europe. - I have seen some at "give-away prices", of LESS than the HIGH-QUALITY European scopes are worth after Noon on Sundays.
    (One of my fantasies is finding a "sporterized" Mauser at a gun-show that is wearing a PRE-1970/HIGH QUALITY ZEISS scope at a "give away price".)

In 2020, given the FACT that I no longer at 73YO see open sights well (even with my bifocals), ALL of my rifles now are fitted with LOW POWER, used REDFIELD or LEOPOLD scopes.
    (I "troll the back tables" at gun shows & estate/garage sales for good/cheap/US-made scopes. = I usually pay 20-40 bucks each for the "old-school" scopes.- The LEOPOLD 2.5X scope on my 9.3x62 was bought ON a MARLIN 336T in .35REM that I bought from an Austin estate sale for 150.oo plus tax - The MARLIN saddle gun is now the property of my nephew, Kyle Thomas C_______. = BOTH of us are PLEASED.)

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    This is a handy defense shortgun
    20201003_064633.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Speaking of "legal short-barreled shotguns", I received an email during "the wee hours" of this morning that a "good 'ole boy" from near Wheeling, WV got a circa 1925 ITHACA AUTO-BURGLAR GUN with factory holster, which is a C&R "shot pistol", out of a "sealed bid estate auction" for "the princely sum of" 356.01 plus tax.
    (WHY, OH WHY, am I never THAT lucky?? = Had I have heard about the auction, I would have bid considerably more than that, FOR SURE!!!)

yours, satx

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom