• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paveknife

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    DFW
    I've been going back and forth over whether or not it's worth it to try and pick up at least one example of all the "cold war" era rifles. I cut my teeth on the M16A2, which I'm not willing to spend the price of a small car on, but I have at various points owned an M1A, AK-47 variant, G3 variant (PTR-91), FN-FAL, and various ARs. The M9 and 1911 were way easier to obtain and my personal examples did not include any pen springs substitutes.

At this point... outside of just thinking they look cool, is it really worth it? Right now I'm short an AK-47 variant and an M14/M1A. Just don't know if it's worth the money to keep chasing wall hangers.

I love the 308... is it time to let go of my wall decoration dreams and build a good AR10?
    Military Camp

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Aks and sks's are fun and functional but the VZ 58 is a more refined Warsaw pact rifle. Definitely doesn't have the long battle proven history like the other two but has a permanent spot in my collection none the less. My garand spends a majority of time in the safe but it's fun to knock the dust off of every couple of years.

I also got into the AR-10 platform this year and it's been pleasant. It has tame enough recoil and is the way stoner intended it. There's also been a truck load of great caliber choices lately for them. So if you've got the money to feed one, why not?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I've been going back and forth over whether or not it's worth it to try and pick up at least one example of all the "cold war" era rifles. I cut my teeth on the M16A2, which I'm not willing to spend the price of a small car on, but I have at various points owned an M1A, AK-47 variant, G3 variant (PTR-91), FN-FAL, and various ARs. The M9 and 1911 were way easier to obtain and my personal examples did not include any pen springs substitutes.

At this point... outside of just thinking they look cool, is it really worth it? Right now I'm short an AK-47 variant and an M14/M1A. Just don't know if it's worth the money to keep chasing wall hangers.

I love the 308... is it time to let go of my wall decoration dreams and build a good AR10?

I was wondering why you thought the M16A2 was so expensive, then I realized you meant the NFA version.

I typically won't buy guns I don't shoot, if its nostalgia that's dragging you why not just go get them? I had 2 different AK47s at one point in the early 00s and I think I put less than 100 rounds through them combined, they looked cool as hell though.

Prices are starting to fall back to earth on guns again (for now) might as well pick them up while you can. If you're afraid you won't shoot them just bring them to the next TGT reunion and someone will want to shoot them :D

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Variety is the spice of life. For an AK, the recent Zastava imports are extremely nice.

The Vz58 is interesting, but you have a choice between a questionable quality century arms gun, or drop over 2k on a CSA import.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Variety is the spice of life. For an AK, the recent Zastava imports are extremely nice.

The Vz58 is interesting, but you have a choice between a questionable quality century arms gun, or drop over 2k on a CSA import.

I bought my dtechnic for under $800 but it's a shame they have kinda skyrocketed. I still have a few folder kits to build on ORF receivers. I also have 1 vz2008(the century offering) and it runs a tighter chamber and had a burr in the bolt carrier recoil spring channel but for the $369 I spent on it I'm more than satisfied. It's a bummer to have to use small base dies to reload it but those rifles eat steel cased ammo like candy.

As far as the zastavas, the one I own feels quality thru and thru. Albeit a lil' heavy. Still need to put rounds through it to know if it will outshoot the VZ or Mak90.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border

When it comes right down to it, those are decisions only you can make for yourself. Do what you want and enjoy life.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I'm trying to get a 24in bbl for it and saving for much-needed glass
    20210628_072058.jpg

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    AKs are badly overpriced at the moment. If you can hold off on getting one, you may find a decent deal...

I disagree. Cheap parts kits with barrels (which is what used to keep prices down) are a thing of the past, no one is going to fight that law, even if they did, you still have to deal with the other countries export laws.

The cheap flood of Chinese and Russian AK's will never happen

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Is it worth it? That's up to you. I think what you need ask is, are you going to get more joy out of these "wallhangers", or out of an AR-10?

As for the merit of the guns themselves, I feel the AK and the AR-10 are both well worth owning. The AK is a very capable gun and they can be easily modernized. The M14/M1A? Well, I'm probably going to ruffle a few feathers but I think as far as their use in the military goes, they are incredibly overhyped. For a range toy, yeah, they're perfectly fine.

If you get an AK, look into a Zastava ZPAP. They run about $1K, pop up for sale fairly regularly, and are very well made guns that come with excellent customer service from Zastava. You have to deal with getting Yugo specific parts for some stuff like the furniture, but they're popular enough that there's a good market for Yugo accessories.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    AKs are badly overpriced at the moment. If you can hold off on getting one, you may find a decent deal...

I have to agree with Zack. I think the days of $600 Combloc AKs are over with. Most of the cheap ones now are the really shitty Century made ones like the VSKAs. Your choices for well made but affordable AKs are ZPAP, WASR, Kalashnikov USA, or MAYBE PSA (heard good and bad about those), all of which are going to run you $900-$1200. I don't see the prices on any of those dropping any time soon if ever. The time to get a cheap AK was 10 years ago.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    I approach that rifle choice from the position of ammo availability. Our family has ammo aplenty in the calibers we also have rifles, except for .303...which we have adequate in. Come a visitor or more one dark and stormy night, and society be degraded, I'd want to be able to shoot any caliber I might acquire ammo for...and we have no AK rifle. If you either have a bunch of AK ammo or see the likelihood of donations of one kind or another, I'd say buy an AK...which one I have no knowledge. If I already have a caliber weapon, my focus is on more ammo. You may have fun building/modifying and not think like I do at all.

Top Bottom