Join TexasGunTalk

Is it time...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMailMan, Oct 14, 2019.

1. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    That's about like saying that all civilians should be unarmed because of the latest mass shooting.

2. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I believe part of the problem is in how Law Enforcement is being labeled as "the enemy" and being attacked in so many different ways and from so many different angles. You can't go long before you hear about some cop, somewhere, being ambushed or attacked. Often resulting in that officer being killed or maimed.

Does the training need to be updated for the Law Dogs of today? You betcha. But, the biggest thing that needs to be updated is society. We've lost our respect for them. And for each other.

3. DoubleDuty

DoubleDuty Active Member

Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    And that is on the worthless msm

Davetex likes this.
  4. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Part of it, but not all. Most of that starts in the home, with the parents and siblings. Monkey see, monkey do. Without a doubt MSM and politics are guilty for some of it.

5. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Although I agree the MSM perpetuated it, Obama coming out against the LEO's was the catalyst.

1911'S 4 Me and roadrunner like this.
  6. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    I agree with Byrd. The political climate has made the police the target of many things. From violence to lawsuits. The result is an us vs. them mentality and the primary focus becomes going home safe at night. If that's the first thought every time the car door opens, then you're not really focused on what's going on, just focused on not getting shot.

The climate also means that many qualified candidates likely are not interested in joining the force, and many qualified officers are looking for ways to leave or move to a safer/smaller location. That leaves job openings that need to be filled by the politician types. (the same politicians who will later hang the officer if the media thinks he did something wrong).

At this point it's kind of become a self fulfilling prophecy.

EZ-E and Byrd666 like this.
  7. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So, how does this change? In some areas, LE agencies have nearly 50 years of proactive policing policies; everything from catch the speeders to gang units and more. Because it’s a patchwork quilt of laws and jurisdiction.

There’s plenty of data for national policing agencies, whether it’s Mexican Federales or German Polizei. The question is whether local LE, a development of the town marshal, has outlived its usefulness.

Me, I call 911 for fire or medical, and sometimes get LE responding, not because they are qualified, but because they are available to ‘validate’ the need for fire/EMS.

That’s not what I need, nor why I called, but meantime someone is dying.

8. Bithabus

Bithabus ! TGT Supporter

Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It's 100% in the training.

Stop the scare tactics. Not everyone is out to kill you. Convenience store clerks get shot at more than Police. Going home safe is not the most important priority. Spend more time on hand to hand skills.

"Militarization of the Police" is the problem. Referring to regular citizens as "civilians". The Police are not fighting a war. Mindset needs to change.

9. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I dunno how the screen officer candidates here, but I can share some insight into how the LAPD has “evolved” based on discussions with friends on the force.

Not too long ago, they wanted people who have life experiences. Ex-military and the like we’re preferred.

Today, they actually want people with no life experiences, who “haven’t developed bad habits”.

Today’s candidates are borderline regarded, and the washout rates would be much higher but they keep lowering the bar to allow these people on the force.

Many candidates have a lack of basic interpersonal skills to deal with people and situations. They don’t revert to their training, they freeze and/or sit back and wait for experienced backup. They simply don’t know how to think on their feet.

Again, this perspective is what was shared with me. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Cop Who Killed Fort Worth Woman Through Window Has Resigned
    http://newser.com/s281720