Gun Zone Deals

Is it an offense to remove the SN from a barrel and slide attached to an 80% lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Is it an offense, however, to remove the SN on the slide and barrel when they're attached to an 80% lower which was never serialized to begin with?

For ATF purposes, only the frame/lower would be considered a firearm, right?

Would removing the SN from the slide and barrel constitute altering a "firearm" in this context?

Both Title 35 and 18 USC seem to define firearm as a weapon, but only the lowers are actually regulated.

Anyone know of a similar case in Texas?

SN on receiver is all that matters via Federal law.

Hence why it is legal to put an aftermarket BBL on a Glock or other similar handgun.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    With serials ground off, I think the rifling should be checked against a database. I could care less about the grinding. But thieves do that sort of thing to stolen guns. And I believe in busting thieves at every opportunity.

Dr P

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Dallas
    Could it be a non-unique part/model/run number? Regardless, if the receiver is not serialized, the barrel number is irrelevant. Next time buy unserialized parts.

Top Bottom