• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have this great story, a true tale, from some 40 years back. although it happened some 90 miles outside Texas, in Louisiana, it did involve San Antonio. The guy who told me this tale was one of my closest friends, now dead some 20 years. His Widow currently owns a Realty firm in the "Woodlands", North of Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Is anybody going to San Antone ?

My late friend, Butch Hanks, told this true tale some 40 years ago.

Back around 1977, Butch was running Jesse Comeaux' Exxon Station on IH-10 at LA 35. One sunny mid-day, he watched as two late-middle-aged women in a new Cadillac with Texas plates stopped in for a full-service fill-up.

After paying, the Caddy began to pull away, but stopped after a few feet. Butch, sensing something wrong, walked out to the driver's side and motioned for her to put her window down.

Inquiring "Ma'am, is something wrong?"; her reply was "Young man, exactly how far is San Antonio?"

Butch replied that he believed it to be around 400 miles away. When the woman insisted that it couldn't possibly be that far, Butch went back inside to look it up.

Coming back out with a map, Butch told her that it was almost exactly 400 miles from Rayne, Louisiana, to San Antonio.

Her indignant reply was: "Young man, that can't possibly be correct. We left Houston over three hours ago and have been driving 70 the entire time!"

I still miss Butch; and I'd bet that I'm not the only one who misses him !

leVieux
    Capitol Armory ad

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX

ging to San Antone ? :cool:

You're a hoot leVieux, I'd bet you're even better in person.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

ging to San Antone ? :cool:

You're a hoot leVieux, I'd bet you're even better in person.

When the Lady finally realized that Butch was correct, she offered this pearl:
    "My husband told me to just get on Interstate 10 and keep going until I got to San Antonio!"

And, when Butch asked if they hadn't noted the rising sun in their faces and the giant 'Welcome to Louisiana" billboard, she offered "We were just talking, 'visiting", and didn't notice those things!"

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My mother's aunt lived on a farm all her life and told this story about some neighbors that she swore was true. Many years ago there were two farming couples that were good friends. They talked about driving to Florida for several years and finally made up their minds to do it. Now this was in the days before interstates and driving took a lot of time, and they really couldn't afford to stay in a hotel until they got to Florida. One of the ladies did not know how to drive and so she couldn't help with the driving. That frustrated her, so she took some lessons and practiced and managed to get her driver's license just before the trip. They started out with one of the men driving, and when he got tired his wife drove. When she could go no farther the other man drove until finally sometime in the middle of the night he just had to get some sleep. His wife, with her new license, excitedly took over driving while the other three slept. As the sun came up, her husband woke up and sleepily looked around. He asked where they were. His wife replied, "I don't know, but it must be a big ranch 'cause there's no end to these high fences.

It took a few minutes to realize that she had somehow driven onto a race track and had circled it for hours.

Top Bottom