• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've got all of my firearms in a backed-up Excel spreadsheet. Manufacturer, model, SN, multiple pictures etc. Ammo - no - I tried, but other than my backup stash in ammo cans, I cycle through it too much.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I've got all of my firearms in a backed-up Excel spreadsheet. Manufacturer, model, SN, multiple pictures etc. Ammo - no - I tried, but other than my backup stash in ammo cans, I cycle through it too much.

Ditto ... hard to beat a spreadsheet for inventory purposes.
    Portable and easily updated, they have paid off in spades for me on a couple of insurance claims.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Do you just have columns for brand-model-caliber-serial number? That kind of thing?

Exactly that kind of thing for columns, along with a line for each individual item.

Besides your above, I have a column for purchase date, purchase price, where purchased, and always include a "comment" column.
    And, with Excel, you can add a column for media, photos, etc...

Made the mistake of my flood policy back in 2001 was for cash value instead of replacement value, so purchase date turned out to be a critical column for my inventory spreadsheets.

So much so that it made me an extra $11k in my final claim, and USAA used my spreadsheet ... it was that unarguably specific
    I'll take that kind of payday, for the amount of effort it took to maintain over the years, any day.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I can do a little in Excel but I didn't know you could add pictures. Can you add thumbnails or do you just resize the pictures?

Might be an easier way, but I put my photos in a separate folder on my hard drive, and then either add a link to a photo in the folder; or click in the cell, Insert Tab> Picture.

NOTE: I find a link to the photo makes for more easily viewed spreadsheet. YMMV

I'm using Office 365 these days, but I've been using Excel for over 20 years, and the concept above had not changed all that much.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I can do a little in Excel but I didn't know you could add pictures. Can you add thumbnails or do you just resize the pictures?

Worth mentioning: there are a lot of pre-made excel templates on the interwebz.
    And Microsoft has some good ones.
    All fairly easy to modify instead of rolling your own from scratch.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Excel with detail info. A tab for shooting so I have a close round count per gun. Another tab for my ammo inventory which is close but not exact. Pictures with serial numbers are in a folder in Outlook but also in my work Outlook folder so if my personal laptop is stolen or the house burns, I've got a backup elsewhere.

Anything important I keep on my home computer is also backed up and kept on a thumb drive at my work location.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Excel with detail info. A tab for shooting so I have a close round count per gun. Another tab for my ammo inventory which is close but not exact. Pictures with serial numbers are in a folder in Outlook but also in my work Outlook folder so if my personal laptop is stolen or the house burns, I've got a backup elsewhere.

Anything important I keep on my home computer is also backed up and kept on a thumb drive at my work location.
    I've never been one to keep a round count but a ammo inventory would be nice but keeping it current would be more work.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    For guns, I created a table in Microsoft Word -- the Columns are:

Caliber, Make, Model, Serial Number, MSRP, Amount Paid, Date of Purchase.

Same for guns sold, except for amount received and date of sale.

That is plenty good enough for my insurance company.

Easy to update.

As for ammo, I use MS Excel for inventory of ammo bought:

Date, Caliber, Manufacturer, Bullet Weight, Profile, Muzzle Velocity, Quantity, and $$ paid.

I have not figured out a way to subtract what I shoot, so I keep all my empty boxes and brass.

That gives me "ball park" of what is left in the ammo locker.

Be well.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    shortround;1533350 I have not figured out a way to subtract what I shoot said:
    You'll need a separate column for the round count. At the bottom of the column, or in any empty cell for that matter, click on a cell and type in =SUM(A1:A15) In this case, A is the column and 1 thru 15 are the rows to be summed. That will track the number of rounds on hand as you change the numbers in column A. I use a different worksheet for each caliber.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Excel rocks pretty hard if you learn to use it.

I keep ammo + gun info on a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is then backed up in Evernote. Links to photos make for a much cleaner spreadsheet.

Definitely have a comments section. Mostly what I put there is distinguishing features, i.e. date stamps, armory/factory markings, blemishes/dings, etc.

::edit:: I have tried both the Prep & Pantry and Ammunition Inventory & Ammo Catalog apps and found both to be lacking. The biggest hangup is manually entering everything in.

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I'm trying to insert a picture in the comments like you told me Robert but I have Libre Office and it apparently doesn't work the same way.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have not figured out a way to subtract what I shoot, so I keep all my empty boxes and brass.

Easy....add a column for qty used, and an adjacent column containing a formula that subtracts qty used from qty on hand. Copy the formula all the way down, and all you have to update is qty used.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Excel user here also. Not only do I have my firearms inventoried, but every thing I own other than consumables. Every time I buy something I add it and every time I sell something I move it to a SOLD category but still retain the info. I inventory my ammo about once a year and update my spreadsheets.

Top Bottom