• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiggyCat

Jun 23, 2022
    Little Elm
    Hmmmm. A step in the right direction but I still despise that cheap satin finish. I have a Raging Bull with a marvelous deep royal blue finish. Don't know why they stopped, it's so pretty. ‍

RoundRockRed

May 16, 2022
    Round Rock, TX.
    I am not familiar with this executive version, but my Taurus model 85 is the only revolver that has ever failed on me (locked up cylinder).
    That being said, their warranty work was fine and a quick turn around. I am not sure I will ever fully trust it again, so it's just a back up now.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    However...none of your rugers would protect you from...the prophecy!

Prophecy-1979-1.jpg

Yes sir, gotta have a lever gun to kill that big sumbitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alpha.Geek

Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I just picked up the Taurus Raging Hunter in .44 to replace my S&W 610 for the Ohio deer gun season this year, first Taurus revolver, and first Taurus gun….
    View attachment 334712
    DAMN, SHE IS PURDY, but not as purdy as stainless...

I actually got my GP-100, USED, at a pawn shop, and she is still my most accurate handgun,
    if I hadn't had too much coffee that morning.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I have several taurus handguns, and have had very good results with them.

Who buys guns at MSRP, anyway? I looked at a local online dealer, and since you guys want to compare the Taurus MSRP with the Smith 686, the Smith is $200 more than the Taurus. So, there's that.

If the steep Smith price tag was more than I could manage, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to go with Taurus.

I have found that most people that love to bash Taurus have never owned one, or two, and are simply going with what the internet commandos are saying....

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

Who buys guns at MSRP, anyway? I looked at a local online dealer, and since you guys want to compare the Taurus MSRP with the Smith 686, the Smith is $200 more than the Taurus. So, there's that.

If the steep Smith price tag was more than I could manage, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to go with Taurus.

I have found that most people that love to bash Taurus have never owned one, or two, and are simply going with what the internet commandos are saying....
    I have owned a Taurus. It went full auto and Taurus blamed me.

I would not buy a new smith either.

I would scour every pawn shop i could for a nice older example

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

I too have had several. All but 2 (an older model 66 and an older 608 ) were dogshit.

A .22 revolver had a catastrophic failure after about 500 rounds of minimag.

Couple of other revolvers had cylinder timing issues after less than 200 rounds.

A PT22 that would not function with over a dozen brands of ammo tested. Never did find a brand that would feed more than 2 rounds before jamming.

A 24/7 in .40 that would not reliably feed anything( got it in a trade) spent more on replacing the magazines than I did on the gun, lol.

The hate is real, and entirely justified.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    And there is a counterpart for nearly every horror story.... I know that Taurus has had quality issues (bad) in the past.... my experience shows that they have improved greatly over the past several years.
    I have a 24/7 in .45, and one in 9mm. The 45 has been flawless through more than 1000 rounds. The 9mm has had a few occasional feed issues.
    I used to have a 4" 66 in 357 mag that was flawless. I have a PT111 G2 that has been flawless through 1500 or so rounds. No hangups, ever. I have a TX 22 that has been flawless through at least 500-600.... I haven't had it but about a year. It shoots standard vel through mini-mags... even cycles sub-sonic about 90%.
    I have a stainless 856 that I've put maybe 300 through so far, no problems at all.

I used to have an 85 that was flawless until someone else's reload caused it to blow apart. I'm pretty sure it was a double charge of a fast powder. Not unexpected.... a friend did exactly the same thing with his Ruger SP101... he said he forgot he had switched powders, and it was obviously the wrong charge... but it scattered that Ruger the same way the Taurus did.

I'm not saying Taurus is the same quality as a Smith or Ruger, but they ain't garbage, either.... in my experience.

Jack W

Jul 1, 2022
    Warren, TX
    I just got one in for a customer with arthritis. I've checked it out and found it's a very nice little revolver for the price. Some 158gr JHP Norma's and it should do the trick. I have also sold several S&W M&P Shield EZ models for the same reason. No complaints from anyone. Hope you enjoy your purchase.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I'll give Taurus credit, it only took the gun 3 tries to set this puppy off

IMG_20220805_095012.jpg

856 defender. In DA, the hand would over rotate the cylinder, and the bolt (not sure what Taurus calls it) wouldn't lock the cylinder for a couple of pulls.

The pistol also wasn't marked for caliber.

Top Bottom