• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have been watching a few YouTube videos on projection TV's, and I know very little about them. My thoughts are one of the main living room of the house, since my 11 year old flat screen decided to expire last year. So I'm sort of leaning towards a projector type TV rather than going with another flat screen TV. The wall the TV was mounted on is huge. Ceiling peak is over 13 feet, and from corner to the hallway doorway is over 14 feet estimated. There is huge expanse of area that would make a huge backdrop for the screen. Currently the interior walls are a very light beige color, and there are a few paintings on that wall, but those could be changed and moved if necessary.

Another idea I have is having one small enough that it could be portable and set up outside if possible and used as an outdoor theater. Like I said, I know very little about them, and don't know what to look for, and what to avoid. Features, brands, prices? I'd like to know how to be able to hook up sound to the system as well, and mainly for watching movies on it.
    Texas SOT

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm sure if you spend enough they look good but I've never seen one bright and crisp in all normal lighting conditions. Definitely for a theater room.

I went with the big 75 inch TCL roku tv. Fills the wall over the fireplace nicely and looks good in all lighting conditions.

Not what you asked for but if you dont have an actual theater room with no windows I'm not sure you would be happy.

Others may disagree.

16295767735684421714781096230436.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Digging deep here. Back in 2014, big blue changed our simulator to projector based instead of multi-monitor setup. Things that stuck out to me were:

1. formula for placement of the projector…size of image dictates standoff range.

2. Final image size needs to take into account viewing distance; can easily overwhelm viewing experience if the image is too large.

3. Walls suck as a projector stage. There is a type of paint you can apply that improves it, but a dedicated screen really is necessary.

4. Audio needs to be solved for since most projectors are designed to work as part of an A/V system

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My 12 year old, 73", crapped out 2 weeks ago.
    I'm in the market for a new, larger screen.
    Currently using a 48" from a spare bedroom.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I'm sure if you spend enough they look good but I've never seen one bright and crisp in all normal lighting conditions. Definitely for a theater room.

I went with the big 75 inch TCL roku tv. Fills the wall over the fireplace nicely and looks good in all lighting conditions.

Not what you asked for but if you dont have an actual theater room with no windows I'm not sure you would be happy.

Others may disagree.

View attachment 272894
    I'm not totally opposed to going with another flat screen. The wall is large enough of an area that it could support a 75" to 80" flat screen very easily.

Just doing some rough measuring, I could very easily go 100" to 120" on that wall if I decided on going with a projection TV.

At this point I'm weighing option on size of picture vs. cost of equipment. That is why the consideration of a projection TV. And that I could also possibly use it outdoors.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    How much light does that room get?

As mentioned above, projectors need controlled lighting/relatively dark rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Actually with four large windows, it gets a lot of light during the day. With a projection TV that could be a problem, and might limit watching to after the sun goes down. Or utilizing some sort of curtains.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Projectors can be purchased very cheaply, for outdoor use (at night, obviously).

Inside during the day, as others have said, you're going to need lighting control.

ETA: Ninja'd.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm not totally opposed to going with another flat screen. The wall is large enough of an area that it could support a 75" to 80" flat screen very easily.

Just doing some rough measuring, I could very easily go 100" to 120" on that wall if I decided on going with a projection TV.

At this point I'm weighing option on size of picture vs. cost of equipment. That is why the consideration of a projection TV. And that I could also possibly use it outdoors.
    How much you wanna spend? They have flat screens that big in various price ranges.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Digging deep here. Back in 2014, big blue changed our simulator to projector based instead of multi-monitor setup. Things that stuck out to me were:

1. formula for placement of the projector…size of image dictates standoff range.

2. Final image size needs to take into account viewing distance; can easily overwhelm viewing experience if the image is too large.

3. Walls suck as a projector stage. There is a type of paint you can apply that improves it, but a dedicated screen really is necessary.

4. Audio needs to be solved for since most projectors are designed to work as part of an A/V system
    Good points.

I'm not opposed to repainting, or factoring in a dedicated screen material if that is needed for optimum viewing.

And building a dedicated audio system is not a problem. From what I have gathered so far, they do really benefit from a dedicated audio system.

It's 17 feet from the bar area to the wall I'd be using for the screen area.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    First thing, is I don't think you'll be able to find a new one since they went the way of the dinosaur. They don't have the resolution that a 4K LED would have, and also they take up a LOT more power.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    How much you wanna spend? They have flat screens that big in various price ranges.
    Right now I'm just exploring options. The flat screens I have looked at are about $700 at the low end for a 75" TV, to about $900 for a 80" TV.

I knew lighting would be an issue with a projector type TV, but most of my viewing there is done after dark anyways.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    First thing, is I don't think you'll be able to find a new one since they went the way of the dinosaur. They don't have the resolution that a 4K LED would have, and also they take up a LOT more power.
    Actually they have some newer types out now. These are the ones I'm looking at. And Amazon, Best Buy and others also carry them.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Actually they have some newer types out now. These are the ones I'm looking at. And Amazon, Best Buy and others also carry them.

Stay away from the 480p/720p. Much disappoint. These are the droids you’re looking for: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qKcMX1bajqK/g_160150/Projectors.html

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

Ah, video projectors, not rear screen projector TVs. I thought you were talking about rear screen.
    They stopped making those back in 2008.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'm not for sure of the proper terminology for what they are called, but most places you can search for them using "projector TV" and it brings up lots of hits.
    I'll have to take a look and see if I still have mine. I bought one about 5 years ago for presentations (it's a Dell 720p), and haven't used it in over 3 years. I'll take a look tomorrow and if I find it, I'll give it to you.

Top Bottom