• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txgunner24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Hardin County
    I have recently had two semiauto Interdynamic KG-9s come into my possession. From what I have read, supposedly there were only 2500 manufactured? If so, I am concerned because one of the serial numbers is in the 3000s. What does this mean? It looks exactly the same as the other KG-9 which has a serial number <1000.

Thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    There were only 2500 open bolt KG-9's made before they were ordered to cease production in 1982. Most of the 2500 were converted to full auto prior to the 1986 cut off. Are both of yours the open bolt? It could be that someone swapped out the lower as the KG-9 serial number was engraved in the plastic lower and not the receiver. The open bolt is now considered a machine gun by the ATF, but if your KG-9's were manufactured prior to January of 1982 they are considered grandfathered if still in their original semi-auto configuration.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Ditt on what FlashBang said.

FYI Here is the ATF ruling on the KG-9:
    ATF Ruling 82-3

The KG-9 pistol is a machinegun as defined in the National Firearms Act.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has examined a firearm identified as the KG-9 pistol. The KG-9 is a 9 millimeter caliber, semiautomatic firearm which is blowback operated and which fires from the open bolt position with the bolt incorporating a fixed firing pin. In addition, a component part of the weapon is a disconnector which prevents more than one shot being fired with a single function of the trigger.
    The disconnector is designed in the KG-9 pistol in such a way that a simple modification to it, such as cutting, fitting, or grinding, allows the pistol to operate automatically. Thus, this simple modification to the disconnector together with the configuration of the above design features (blowback operation, firing from the open bolt position, and fixed firing pin) in the KG-9 permits the firearm to shoot automatically, more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The above combination of design features as employed in the KG-9 is normally not found in the typical sporting firearm.
    The National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. 5845(b), defines a machinegun to include any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
    The "shoots automatically" definition covers weapons that will function automatically. The "readily restorable" definition defines weapons which previously could shoot automatically but will not in their present condition. The "designed" definition includes those weapons which have not previously functioned as machineguns but possess design features which facilitate full automatic fire by simple modification or elimination of existing component parts.
    Held: The KG-9 pistol is designed to shoot automatically more than one shot, without function of the trigger. Consequently, the KG-9 pistol is a machinegun as defined in section 5845(b) of the Act.
    With respect to the machinegun classification of the KG-9 pistol under the National Firearms Act, pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 7805(b), this ruling will not be applied to KG-9 pistols manufactured before January 19, 1982. Accordingly, KG-9 pistols manufactured on or after January 19, 1982, will be subject to all the provisions of the National Firearms Act and 27 C.F.R. Part 179.
    [ATFB 1982-1 18]

Cannonball666

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2021
    Dallas
    I have recently had two semiauto Interdynamic KG-9s come into my possession. From what I have read, supposedly there were only 2500 manufactured? If so, I am concerned because one of the serial numbers is in the 3000s. What does this mean? It looks exactly the same as the other KG-9 which has a serial number <1000.

Thanks

Although you will see repeatedly on the Internet "only 2500 KG-9s were ever produced" you will see Kg-9s with serial numbers up through the 4,000 range. So, how can this be? It's because the serial numbers were not assigned in succession. You cannot assume i.e. that serial number 347 was the 347th gun produced. It doesn't work that way. There is no law that says serial numbers have to be sequential and so every manufacturer has their own method of assigning serial numbers.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Although you will see repeatedly on the Internet "only 2500 KG-9s were ever produced" you will see Kg-9s with serial numbers up through the 4,000 range. So, how can this be? It's because the serial numbers were not assigned in succession. You cannot assume i.e. that serial number 347 was the 347th gun produced. It doesn't work that way. There is no law that says serial numbers have to be sequential and so every manufacturer has their own method of assigning serial numbers.
    Welcome to the Forum!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

8 year old post and she never came back.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    popcorn02.jpeg

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Well, since this thread is alive again after more than a decade, allow this old decrepit geezer to add:

I had the chance to buy one of these back around 1980 or 1981 when I was in the Border Patrol. The guy behind the counter, at Yellow Mart in El Centro, CA, told me exactly how it could be taken apart, have a piece filed down a tad, and thus be turned into a full auto. He pushed hard for me to buy one but I had just bought another pistol (a Beretta 950BS in all likelihood in that time frame) and as they say: Money was tight and times were hard I hoped for more cash in my Christmas card but I never got the money to buy one. Such a shame that I did not have sufficient funding, it well would have been worth the investment. I forget his name but the Yellow Mart clerk lambasted me for my folly, after ATF made its decision, and he was right to have done so.

Top Bottom