Join TexasGunTalk

Instructor Renewal Proficiency Test

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by A & P Armory, Aug 23, 2019.

1. A & P Armory

A & P Armory Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Instructors have to renew their qualifications every two years apparently. Are there any instructors in my area (NW Houston/Tomball/Magnolia) that need to renew their quals and want to do a quid pro quo?

I have access to a private range that we can use for free for the instructor quals but just need to do each others LTC-8/LTC-100 for the proficiency. We can just shoot at the same time and then sign off on each others forms.

Just need one instructor who is also needing to renew. Have access almost any day after 6:30 or Saturday after 3:30.

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I think you should alternate. Someone should give instructions, monitor the shooter and ensure the rules are followed

3. A & P Armory

A & P Armory Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Thanks. If it's just the two instructors, and since we both know the routine, I figure one could call the commands but both fire. I can even use a competition shot timer for proper starts and stops. I did a version of this for fun with a good friend of mine who thought he could out shoot me. It was executed exactly as I would do the test, but I shot standing next to him (and he complained of brass pelting him as reason for his 249). But the test was ran properly and I didn't see it as a problem with just the two of us shooting. Now, if we had three to five guys taking the test at the same time, I could see how it'd be better having one RO/admin and the rest shooting, and then switch. But I'm just looking for one instructor needing to trade out scoring so I think it'd be easier to monitor honestly. Also, it's an open air range so it's not like some guy would be in a private lane and could cheat a bit. It's pretty easy to tell that the guy shot two instead of one, or even six instead of five, or over time, or presented before the "up" command (or start buzzer). Even making sure they start safety on or decocked is easy enough to watch in this format.

But I'm game for whatever. If someone was more comfortable with taking turns, I'd be fine with that. With just one student who already knows the course of fire and who should be very proficient, it should go very quickly. Four iterations of the test shouldn't take an hour.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Is was just a thought

5. locke_n_load

locke_n_load Well-Known

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I'm in NE houston and need to renew my instructor quals, let me know when would be a good weekend this month (I work offshore and I will only be in town from the 14th to end of month).
    ETA: read your post fully. Maybe the 21st or 28th?

6. candcallen

candcallen Active Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Do you like pina coladas getting caught in the rain....