• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I took a couple of bushy tails during squirrel season and have them in the freezer. I was thinking about trying a recipe in my insta-pot.
    Anybody have any tried-and-true recipes for squirrel in the insta-pot?
    Stew?
    Squirrel & rice?
    Granny used to make squirrel &dumplings, but that may be above my pay-grade.
    I had some leftover boneless, skinless chicken thighs and used them to make a pot of chicken & rice and it turned out great. Got me to thinking...
    Venture Surplus ad

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Nothing ventured nothing gained! Try adapting your chicken & rice recipe. Dumpling are as easy a Bisquick & milk or canned or frozen biscuit dough. Submerging the biscuit dough in gravy is what makes a dumpling. Squirrels can be pretty lean & you need fat to make decent gravy. Chicken base could be used with the pot liquor from the squirrels. Making a roux would be another thing I'd do. Package gravy if your scared.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I ate squirrel when I was going through a rough patch in Florida, unemployed, needed to eat, and had a pellet gun...anyway I used pork shake&bake was pretty tasty though a little tough and dry. I never did get it perfected. Oh well.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    At 9:00 tonight, I got a message from Amazon telling me that a package had been left in my mailbox. I jumped on my four wheeler and drove the mile round-trip to the mailbox and on the way saw the largest raccoon I've ever seen in my life!
    For a moment, as I watched him through the beam of the maglight up in that big oak, I pondered various insta-pot coon recipes!
    Alas, it was late and I really didn't feel like skinning the old bandit at this late hour...

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I've heard some beaver tail is fat and gamey tasting. It is an acquired taste.

skfullgun,

FYI, the mascot of the MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY in MINOT, ND is the beaver.

The MAFB Officer's Wives Club had golf shirts made-up, as a money-raiser for charity, that said: SAVE A TREE, EAT A BEAVER.
    (The BASE Commanding General was NOT amused.)

yours, satx

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Pressure cook the squirrel in beef consomme, strain and save the consomme then pick the meat from the bones and add the meat back to the instant pot with diced onion, diced bell peppers, and brown gravy mix and simmer to your desired consistency before serving over rice or mashed potatoes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    My Grandparents saved those square milk cartons. When Grandpa brought in a squirrel, freshly skinned at the Sabine river He would drop it into a milk carton fill it with water and drop it in the chest freezer on the back porch. I remember counting dozens of creature cartons in there. Grandma would just dump a critter carton into a pan and cook. They made a point of cooking critters for this California kid just to see if I would eat them. I like boiled Squirrel.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    At 9:00 tonight, I got a message from Amazon telling me that a package had been left in my mailbox. I jumped on my four wheeler and drove the mile round-trip to the mailbox and on the way saw the largest raccoon I've ever seen in my life!
    For a moment, as I watched him through the beam of the maglight up in that big oak, I pondered various insta-pot coon recipes!
    Alas, it was late and I really didn't feel like skinning the old bandit at this late hour...

skfullgun,

COON is, IMO, "pretty OK" IF made into BBQ.

yours, satx

Top Bottom