Hurley's Gold

Initial Thoughts on the Weatherby 6.5 RPM?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I am by no means a long range competition shooter but I have been considering buying a Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor for 500 yard+ shooting. Then, I foolishly pick up a magazine at the store and read about the new Weatherby 6.5 RPM that is available in a 7 lb rifle with the powder capacity and velocity capability that all look very impressive. I love Weatherby but I know that horsepower is not everything and I don't want to plunk down money on something that is not yet proven. With no reviews out yet, I thought I would ask you guys what your initial impressions are and what the downsides of buying one of the early releases of this rifle might be outside of the limited handload data available.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    No hunting with the exception of an occasional long range yote or pig. The comment about the recoil is right on with one of my concerns, but the older I get the harder it is to handle a heavier rifle but I am also no longer in love with heavy recoil as I was 30 years ago.

I guess the idea is more of an expensive toy rather than a practical hunting, target or work gun. Still, I appreciate the feedback.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I was looking at the Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor but haven't read much on the 6.5 PRC. Just got my Academy ad and, even thought I don't like to buy guns there, they have the Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor for $399 this week. At that price, I could shoot the wad on a nice set of optics and still be ahead of the game. The main concern I have about the PRC is the limited options for OTC ammo while the Creedmoor has tons of choices. But, now I am even more conflicted even though I have given up on the Weatherby as an option.

I remember the day when the long range choice was 30-06, 270, or .243.....life was much simpler then.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was looking at the Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor but haven't read much on the 6.5 PRC. Just got my Academy ad and, even thought I don't like to buy guns there, they have the Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor for $399 this week. At that price, I could shoot the wad on a nice set of optics and still be ahead of the game. The main concern I have about the PRC is the limited options for OTC ammo while the Creedmoor has tons of choices. But, now I am even more conflicted even though I have given up on the Weatherby as an option.

I remember the day when the long range choice was 30-06, 270, or .243.....life was much simpler then.
    Ruger is attractive at that price point. My only gripe is it doesn't have the LOP or comb adjustment. But, it'll go 1,000yrds with some good glass. You could always build up you comb height with a aftermarket system. 6.5cm is a lot of fun to shoot.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Creedmoor ammo is available locally more often than the PRC. Your location isn't listed, so if you live in one of the big cities, or don't mind mail order (while it's legal) then that shouldn't be a big deal, but if you live in a small town, it's a consideration.

I've been shooting creedmoor for about a year, and PRC for about 7 months. I'm 52, 6', and weigh 165-170 lbs. The creedmoor kicks a bit less than the PRC, but both are maybe 1/2 or less felt recoil of a 308, imho-depending on load and rifle, of course.

The only reasons to choose a PRC over the creedmoor are: (again, imho) If you're serious about shooting OVER 1000 yards on a regular basis, and/or you want to start PRS shooting, or you simply want a more rare caliber rifle.

Creedmoor ammo is 40-60% the price of PRC for the majority of offerings. If you're going to shoot a few 100 rounds a year (and don't reload) then it won't matter much, but if you're planning on playing hard (several/many, MANY 100 rounds a year) the PRC will quickly cost a lot more to feed. As with all things that go bang, either will quickly cost more to feed than buy :)

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Creedmoor ammo is available locally more often than the PRC. Your location isn't listed, so if you live in one of the big cities, or don't mind mail order (while it's legal) then that shouldn't be a big deal, but if you live in a small town, it's a consideration.

I've been shooting creedmoor for about a year, and PRC for about 7 months. I'm 52, 6', and weigh 165-170 lbs. The creedmoor kicks a bit less than the PRC, but both are maybe 1/2 or less felt recoil of a 308, imho-depending on load and rifle, of course.

The only reasons to choose a PRC over the creedmoor are: (again, imho) If you're serious about shooting OVER 1000 yards on a regular basis, and/or you want to start PRS shooting, or you simply want a more rare caliber rifle.

Creedmoor ammo is 40-60% the price of PRC for the majority of offerings. If you're going to shoot a few 100 rounds a year (and don't reload) then it won't matter much, but if you're planning on playing hard (several/many, MANY 100 rounds a year) the PRC will quickly cost a lot more to feed. As with all things that go bang, either will quickly cost more to feed than buy :)
    Hence, why I've been looking at a 223 precision rifle. I can shoot A LOT for the price.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    6.5???

Creedmoor $1 a round.
    PRC $2 a round.
    Weatherby $3 a round.

Creedmoor anywhere ammo is sold.
    PRC becoming more common. Maybe.
    Weatherby 6.5 good luck!

I'm just sort of practical.
    6.5 Creedmoor is, arguably, becoming the 30-06 of the new millennium.

Heck, buy all three and you tell us which one you find best suited to your specific needs.

The Ruger precision rifle is a great buy.
    With the muzzle brake and straight-line stock design it is accurate and gentle recoiling.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you’re planning to shoot 500 to 1000 yards on a regular basis you might as well plan on hand loading. You’ll either get the bug and want to squeeze everything you can out of it, or get bored with it and find something else.

If your handloading the price difference in cartridges of the same caliber will be negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Now that .264 bullets are clearly proven to defy the laws of physics and routinely display magical properties I'm wondering when the 60 year old .264 Win Mag will be revived in a Phoenix-from-ashes feat?

Way (way-way-way?) back in HS a buddy had a pre-64 Win-70 in .264WM that he wanted to sell for about $200. Money I did not have.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    I shoot .300wby, which has been around for a long time. Ammo is not that difficult to find on shelf, but the specific load I like (165 Barnes TTSX) is. So I buy mine off of Weatherby's website. It's a fully custom built rifle that I paid way too much for to have built and the ammunition is ridiculously expensive as compared to .300winmag. But I knew what I was getting into and I like it. If you do go the RPM route I'd like to read about it.

**edit** If I had it to over again I would have had the rifle re chambered to 7mmSTW during the build

Last edited:
    Top Bottom