• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You've gotten good advice here. If there's something Southpaw can't get a value on, holler - I kinda run around a few guns here and there....<G> As noted - be VERY cautious. This isn't to make you paranoid, but large burly men have been hurt in gun transactions. Do any dealings in the parking lot of a local PD station if at all possible - NEVER at your home unless you're 100% comfortable with the individual (old family friend, etc.).
    The biggest pitfall I see is folks that suddenly get greedy on inherited guns - "The book says it's worth $900, so I want $875!". There's a TON of variables on book prices - locale and rarity both come into play. And some guns are so use-specific that there's not many folks really in the market.
    Southpaw - you know how to get hold of me - holler if you need a hand, and AmandaDeean is okay with it. Amanda, I'm an officer with the Texas State Rifle Association AND a local businessman - so I'm happy to help in any way I can be of service.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I guess the first question really should be what's your goal here? To get fair or better money for what you inherited, or to get them sold and get past this?

Getting fair money for everything will take some time. You'll likely have some hot sellers that fly off the shelf so to speak, and others that don't seem to generate any interest. A dealer will walk in, offer pennies on the dollar for everything as one lot, but you'd have a check quickly.

Either way, your first step needs to be to write down an inventory list with whatever information you have. Make, model, serial #, etc.

Again, the folks here can be helpful in that department too. If you have something you're not sure exactly what it is, post some pictures and we'll help you ID it.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Won't end well, I'm afraid.

There are so many pitfalls to avoid.

How many posters selling firearms on this very board do not know that the photo that they take with their phone is geotagged with GPS coordinates. Within about 60 seconds a nefarious individual can see exactly in what room of what house the firearm photo was taken!!!

I'm mostly harmless. Not nefarious at all.
    I've done exactly that for amusement from the sales board here....pinpointed the gun-photo-snap whereabouts from the geotagged coordinates.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    There are so many pitfalls to avoid.

How many posters selling firearms on this very board do not know that the photo that they take with their phone is geotagged with GPS coordinates. Within about 60 seconds a nefarious individual can see exactly in what room of what house the firearm photo was taken!!!

I'm mostly harmless. Not nefarious at all.
    I've done exactly that for amusement from the sales board here....pinpointed the gun-photo-snap whereabouts.

And here I thought that if I turned the location "off" on my phone, that couldn't be done.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    7C2F56CD-EA2E-4E06-B5DA-AE4628E7D66F.gif

D6DD1534-0D3C-424D-B2DC-C67B6314D8DD.gif

Attachments

• 7C2F56CD-EA2E-4E06-B5DA-AE4628E7D66F.gif
      7C2F56CD-EA2E-4E06-B5DA-AE4628E7D66F.gif
      905.8 KB · Views: 552
    • D6DD1534-0D3C-424D-B2DC-C67B6314D8DD.gif
      D6DD1534-0D3C-424D-B2DC-C67B6314D8DD.gif
      150.3 KB · Views: 544

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    And here I thought that if I turned the location "off" on my phone, that couldn't be done.
    Not sure about that.
    Try it.

People also ask
    How do I remove metadata from Photoshop?
    Use Adobe Photoshop to Remove Metadata from Photos
    1. Choose the image first and open it using Photoshop.
    2. From the menu, navigate File >> Save for web option and click on it. ...
    3. At the right side area you will find 'Metadata' option.
    4. Select 'None' from the drop-down.
    5. Save the image.

That's the costy way to do it, as photoshop has a whole optimize-for-web area.

I'm a Mac guy:

Open your photo in preview.
    Press Command-I to show information.
    Metadata is deletable there.

Windows is likely as easy.
    Anybody

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-9_20-49-35.png
      upload_2019-12-9_20-49-35.png
      365 bytes · Views: 286
    Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    You've gotten good advice here. If there's something Southpaw can't get a value on, holler - I kinda run around a few guns here and there....<G> As noted - be VERY cautious. This isn't to make you paranoid, but large burly men have been hurt in gun transactions. Do any dealings in the parking lot of a local PD station if at all possible - NEVER at your home unless you're 100% comfortable with the individual (old family friend, etc.).
    The biggest pitfall I see is folks that suddenly get greedy on inherited guns - "The book says it's worth $900, so I want $875!". There's a TON of variables on book prices - locale and rarity both come into play. And some guns are so use-specific that there's not many folks really in the market.
    Southpaw - you know how to get hold of me - holler if you need a hand, and AmandaDeean is okay with it. Amanda, I'm an officer with the Texas State Rifle Association AND a local businessman - so I'm happy to help in any way I can be of service.

Sounds good

PM sent

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How do I remove metadata
    That can be complicated. Most metadata viewers only delete data from default locations. You might be surprised at the things that show up in proprietary locations when you read a graphics file with a text editor.

If I ever need to take a picture with zero info in it that can be linked to me, it's going to be pretty low-res because I'll be using a very old camera.

For normal uses and security levels appropriate for everything that happens on this board, that level of paranoia is not justified. Thank goodness.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    BTW, AmandaDeeann, the last few posts are good examples of thread drift. That happens a lot around here.

It doesn't mean the conversation is lost. Just jump back in with on-topic discussion and we'll shift gears back into helping mode in a heartbeat.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    The Blue Book of Gun Values can be helpful but it is not the end all be all regarding gun values. It often has what amounts to outdated misinformation when it comes to the current values of firearms, take it from someone who buys and sells guns with a fair amount of frequency and who uses numerous sources to check gun values including the Blue Book of Gun Values. If you truly want to know what guns have been selling for recently, a better source (at least one that is more current as to sale prices) is GunBroker.com, under Advanced Search for completed sales of any particular model (you need to be a registered user - registration is free but requires they validate a credit card). Of course, there may not have been a particular firearm that you are looking for, that has sold on GunBroker but chances are, if not a very rare gun, it has sold there within the last year and will come up in an advanced search. GunBroker also offers a search by make and model that shows the prices that all of that particular model have sold for via GunBroker over the past year; there is a fee for that service. So, if a certain gun sold 25 times via GunBroker in the past year, it will show all the prices for which those 25 guns sold on a graph and tell you the low price, the high price and the average selling price. I have had dealers at shows check the value of a gun I am selling by going to GunBroker to see what they actually have sold for instead of going to the Blue Book of Gun Values.

Then there is also The Standard Catalog Of Firearms. Often considered better than the Blue Book because it is illustrated and I think often has better descriptions of the guns. Sadly (as far as I am aware) it is only available in print and not available in an online format as is the Blue Book of Gun Values.

The best way to check the values of guns is to use various sources. Use the Blue Book, the Standard Catalog Of Firearms, Gun Broker, personal communications with knowledgeable gun owners, even firearms dealers at shows or in gun stores (just be wary of what they offer) but use them all and somewhere in the balance you will come up with a good starting point at which to try to price them.

As for actually selling them: If you want to get a better than just wholesale prices for your guns, do not sell them to a dealer because you will not get nearly what they are worth to you from a dealer in most instances. While you may want to sell them quickly, it would be better to do it yourself via a site like GunBroker. They have quite the tutorials on their site for sellers and buyers and they charge a truly nominal commission based on the final sale prices and on any special listing options (a basic listing is still free). Selling them yourself via GunBroker is a lot of work but usually worth it as far as how much you get for them goes. of course, you can also sell them via the for sale forum on a site like this (no commission or listing fees). Selling them via a gun forum may go quicker than GunBroker and be somewhat less work especially if you sell them to a local and shipping is not required. Still, it would not be a bad idea to visit the tutorials at GunBroker and you only do yourself a big favor by checking the gun values with at least a few to several sources.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That can be complicated. Most metadata viewers only delete data from default locations. You might be surprised at the things that show up in proprietary locations when you read a graphics file with a text editor.

If I ever need to take a picture with zero info in it that can be linked to me, it's going to be pretty low-res because I'll be using a very old camera.

For normal uses and security levels appropriate for everything that happens on this board, that level of paranoia is not justified. Thank goodness.

Ben....

It seems that if I open a phone photo with any program and then hit Command-Shift-4 I can take a screen shot that saves to my downloads folder and contains no metadata other than pixel size.
    It's a huge .png that I convert to .jpg and it still seems devoid of metadata.

When called upon I have a Nikon d5 that takes brilliantly detained photos but it's not GPS-aware at all.

I am proudly paranoid and posting photos that could lead the ill-intended straight to my bedroom needs no apology.

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”

― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
    tags: misattributed-kurt-cobain

Attachments

• 05293a94730f9a4c201a373c9f31b02dcb9e6d-v5-wm.jpg
      05293a94730f9a4c201a373c9f31b02dcb9e6d-v5-wm.jpg
      95.4 KB · Views: 219

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I can take a screen shot that saves to my downloads folder and contains no metadata other than pixel size.
    Using that technique, according to some online sources, the initial PNG can contain some information about the computer used, enough to identify it. However, I just used some metadata tools I trust to look at some of my screenshots and found nothing risky.

That's a good, simple technique available to everybody. Thanks for highlighting it.
    When called upon I have a Nikon d5 that takes brilliantly detained photos but it's not GPS-aware at all.
    Nikon, however, was one of the first brands to use non-standard placement of the camera ID, including the serial number, in photographs. It didn't show up in standard EXIF readers but law enforcement was able to use it to track down the owners of cameras used to take illegal photographs. Sony did it too.

This information is from back when it was part of my job to examine digital photos. That was a long time ago. Maybe it's no longer the case. My knowledge has certainly gone way out of date since I retired.

However, I know that if I were risking my life taking a picture that must never be traced back to me, I wouldn't trust any standards or tools for embedded data.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    However, I know that if I were risking my life taking a picture that must never be traced back to me, I wouldn't trust any standards or tools for embedded data.

For that?

An old Nikon Coolpix bought with cash at a pawn shop and later relegated to my backyard fire pit!

Wondering what the OP is thinking tonight.
    A charming young lady, from her avatar, should not be meeting with strangers in Academy parking lots at dusk to trade guns for cash even if she did connect through this forum's for-sale area.
    Just my 0.02.

AmandaDeeann

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    San Antonio TX
    All great advise nothing i can really add other than most of us are always looking to buy. A collection like that i would consider your loved one would like to see a few of those passed down to other family members or close friends of your loved one.

I would take Southpaw up on his offer, if he is offering. Im sure depending on what you have you could get rid of 75%-80% on here through the guns for sale section. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your collection. Condolences to you & your family.
    Thank you very much and I have actually passed down to special guns to the grandkids they were bought for and things similar

AmandaDeeann

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    San Antonio TX
    You're wrong. She took home a boatload of cash and we took home a lot of guns and ammo. ;-)

Seriously you've come to the right place. If you had sold to a pawn shop or a gun store you would have gotten screwed and not in the good way. Everyone here is fair and if they aren't people would call them on it. If you don't mind waiting until April you can sell most of what you have in one stop. If you don't want to wait that long you can post pictures and descriptions here and we can mostly give you a good idea of what they are worth. Most people here are always looking to buy even if they claim they aren't myself included.
    I would like to sell a couple now because Christmas is coming and I have a young child and a young grandchild but for the most part I could wait until April with no problem

AmandaDeeann

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    San Antonio TX
    Thank you so much I appreciate that and I look forward to having you to look to

Top Bottom