• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Welcome to the family. There are a lot of options. I have three. Glock 19, Mossberg 500 12 gauge with 00 buck, and an Ar15 sbr in 300 blackout with a can. If you are dead set on the pistol and rifle using same mags you can get Ar’s that except Glock double stack 9mm mags. So that’s an option as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I don't know about the EC9, but I have a Ruger SR9 and it shares a common mag with the EC9 and the PCC. And I can tell you the SR9 and the PCC both freaking rock. Whatever you decide, if you don't feel like you know much about firearms definitely seek out all the training you can. And then get your LTC once you're comfortable with your level of knowledge.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Hmm, how about a S&W M&P 9mm 2.0 Compact and a Ruger PC Carbine. Or if you want mag interchangeability, a Glock 19 and PC carbine. Or, the Ruger SR series and Security 9 will give you mag compatibility with the PC Carbine. Or, look at the PC Charger. Sort of a pistol and rifle all in one.

plinkr

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    US
    All this talk of interchangeable mags, I can't help myself. Sometimes old school is the best school, as in a revolver and lever rifle, both chambered in .357 magnum. Both available at multiple price points (normally at least). Fun and cheap to shoot means more practice means more effective. It doesn't get more point and shoot than a double action wheelgun.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ShotgunAg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2020
    Frisco
    Shotgun is my preference. With that said if your wife, an inexperienced shooter, is going to be using the firearm, I would start with a 20ga. Easier for her to shoot. Prefer the 12, but, across a room, the culprit will most likely not be able to tell the difference in getting hit with a 12 or 20 ga. My thought is that both will leave a mark. Be Blessed

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If I'm shooting the 12 ga. it's not a problem, but if my wife has to defend the homestead, that would be way too much gun. That's why I always recommend the 20 ga. And as said previously by some, the turdbird that needs to be shot inside the house or yard won't be able to tell the difference in gauge!
    Even a .410 will work fine in probably 90% of homes.
    Edit to add: Buckshot is perfect for inside a house or an average size yard.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Shotgun is my preference. With that said if your wife, an inexperienced shooter, is going to be using the firearm, I would start with a 20ga. Easier for her to shoot. Prefer the 12, but, across a room, the culprit will most likely not be able to tell the difference in getting hit with a 12 or 20 ga. My thought is that both will leave a mark. Be Blessed

Welcome to the Forum!

john.fisher5742

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2019
    Magnolia, TX
    I know next to nothing about guns. I was in the Army and I have shot all kinds of weapons but that is easy, they just give it to you, teach you about it and tell you to go shoot. Now that I am retired and living off of a nice secure (ha) base my wife and I have been discussing home defense. She has come around to wanting to get some firearms. We will both be taking a basic pistol course together to start and will then go to shotgun and then rifle. I have been watching YouTube videos, reading reviews, and articles about home defense. I have decided that given our limited experience I need to keep it as simple as possible (at least to start) and want to have a pistol and rifle that are the same caliber and can share magazines. While my wife agrees that we need to have some guns she isn't keen on spending a ton of money, I believe the purse strings will open up over time. To that end I have been looking at the Ruger EC9s / PC Carbine. I am not married to this combo, it was probably the easiest for me to match. I would appreciate any and all input to my decision process. Additionally I have been to a few gun stores and felt treated like a dummy for not knowing some basics. Can you recommend a gun store and or instructor?

Thank you for serving. I have been where you are. I also was in the Army & got out thinking that I had a good understanding of firearms. However, after really pursuing my passion for self defense & firearms, I quickly realized that I had some shortcomings in the way of practical self defense vs what I knew from my military experience.

I think that I understand the reason for wanting interchangeability of magazines between platforms but, I would like to challenge your thinking on this. The idea behind it seems to make sense on the surface. After all it would be nice to only have to keep one type of ammo on hand, one style of magazine & be able to switch between platforms with ease. However, in my opinion when it comes to the ballistics of handgun ammo, quite frankly they suck. I’m not saying that they won’t stop someone from doing harm to you or your loved ones but, the stopping capabilities of handgun munitions hardly compares to the benefits of rifle ballistics. To me, where handguns shine is in their convenience & their wield-ability. They are compact & easy to conceal & store. They can be more readily available in the event that you need them. On the other hand, history has shown us that the guy with the bigger gun usually will win the fight. If you research some of the incidents where a handgun was used to stop a perpetrator you will find that often times many more rounds were needed to stop the threat. A man can take many rounds & keep fighting. Whereas when it comes to rifles & rifle ammunition, much less is required to stop the threat. In other words you have a better chance of ending the fight sooner. We can see this in statistics gathered on gunshot injuries. Typically patients with handgun gunshot wounds will usually survive believe it or not. This is not the case when it comes to patients wounded by rifle gunshot wounds. The reason behind this is that rifle ammo is traveling at a much higher speed & creates a much larger wound cavity which directly relates to the stopping capability of either platform.
    Now, putting a handgun caliber into a Carbine platform does have some advantages as well as some disadvantages over having the same caliber in a handgun platform. Being able to take more accurate shots in a Carbine vs a handgun is a definite advantage but you give up the wield ability in & around corners & confined spaces.
    Something else to consider that actually seems counterintuitive is the fact that 5.56mm or .223cal is usually around 55-62 grain. That is much less mass than your typical 115-124 grain 9mm. Less mass means that the round will dump much more of its energy into the tissue of the perpetrator & or Sheetrock & other obstacles & thus lessen the distance that that round will over penetrate through walls.
    Over all what I am getting at is in choosing a Carbine for home/self defense that uses handgun ammo you are taking on the disadvantages of a rifle platform & not getting any of the advantages in having a rifle platform. Loosing wield ability, not gaining stopping power, & not reducing over penetration. I would consider having a handgun to keep handy to fight your way to a rifle that may not be as readily available.
    Sorry for the long reply but there is a lot to be said on this issue & actually a lot that I left out due to trying to keep this a short as possible.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thank you for serving. I have been where you are. I also was in the Army & got out thinking that I had a good understanding of firearms. However, after really pursuing my passion for self defense & firearms, I quickly realized that I had some shortcomings in the way of practical self defense vs what I knew from my military experience.

I think that I understand the reason for wanting interchangeability of magazines between platforms but, I would like to challenge your thinking on this. The idea behind it seems to make sense on the surface. After all it would be nice to only have to keep one type of ammo on hand, one style of magazine & be able to switch between platforms with ease. However, in my opinion when it comes to the ballistics of handgun ammo, quite frankly they suck. I’m not saying that they won’t stop someone from doing harm to you or your loved ones but, the stopping capabilities of handgun munitions hardly compares to the benefits of rifle ballistics. To me, where handguns shine is in their convenience & their wield-ability. They are compact & easy to conceal & store. They can be more readily available in the event that you need them. On the other hand, history has shown us that the guy with the bigger gun usually will win the fight. If you research some of the incidents where a handgun was used to stop a perpetrator you will find that often times many more rounds were needed to stop the threat. A man can take many rounds & keep fighting. Whereas when it comes to rifles & rifle ammunition, much less is required to stop the threat. In other words you have a better chance of ending the fight sooner. We can see this in statistics gathered on gunshot injuries. Typically patients with handgun gunshot wounds will usually survive believe it or not. This is not the case when it comes to patients wounded by rifle gunshot wounds. The reason behind this is that rifle ammo is traveling at a much higher speed & creates a much larger wound cavity which directly relates to the stopping capability of either platform.
    Now, putting a handgun caliber into a Carbine platform does have some advantages as well as some disadvantages over having the same caliber in a handgun platform. Being able to take more accurate shots in a Carbine vs a handgun is a definite advantage but you give up the wield ability in & around corners & confined spaces.
    Something else to consider that actually seems counterintuitive is the fact that 5.56mm or .223cal is usually around 55-62 grain. That is much less mass than your typical 115-124 grain 9mm. Less mass means that the round will dump much more of its energy into the tissue of the perpetrator & or Sheetrock & other obstacles & thus lessen the distance that that round will over penetrate through walls.
    Over all what I am getting at is in choosing a Carbine for home/self defense that uses handgun ammo you are taking on the disadvantages of a rifle platform & not getting any of the advantages in having a rifle platform. Loosing wield ability, not gaining stopping power, & not reducing over penetration. I would consider having a handgun to keep handy to fight your way to a rifle that may not be as readily available.
    Sorry for the long reply but there is a lot to be said on this issue & actually a lot that I left out due to trying to keep this a short as possible.
    Welcome to the Forum!

stadlers1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    San Antonio
    All this talk of interchangeable mags, I can't help myself. Sometimes old school is the best school, as in a revolver and lever rifle, both chambered in .357 magnum. Both available at multiple price points (normally at least). Fun and cheap to shoot means more practice means more effective. It doesn't get more point and shoot than a double action wheelgun.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    I never even considered a revolver, or lever rifle. Now I'm really considering it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Home defense is not just about having a gun in the home. That actually is what I consider the last option left on the table. IMO, home defense is about levels of security. Firearms are just one small part of it.

The best approach IMO, is to either entice intruders to look elsewhere, or to deny them entry in the first place. If you have a home that is easy to penetrate, or makes it enticing enough for an intruder to risk making an entry, then it's possible your home could be a victim from intruders. Making entry difficult for intruders is one of the best options available. Any intruder becomes much less of a threat if they can't gain entry into your home.

Another level of home defense is some sort of early warning, if intrusion is attempted. Depending on where you live, and circumstances, this could be an alarm system or dogs that bark.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    LCR in 38SP is nice, double action trigger isn't bad (hammerless pocket gun?). See NO reason for needing same ammo, it's just ammo. Buy whatever floats your boat and learn to use it. Lots more to SD then just shooting - and lots more liability. If you might go LTC, consider size. My shotgun is locked in the safe. Guess first pistol rnd could be snake shot - if you can't hit anything?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Actually, statistics show that just a couple of rounds are involved in the vast majority of civilian encounters.

Also, plenty of experiments show that most handgun calibers as well as rifle calibers will penetrate a couple of walls - including .223.

Top Bottom