• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    I am getting a little low on IMR 4350. So I am considering possibly switching to H4350. Now I know I need to start at a lower load and work my way up. From the burn rate charts, it appears they are very similar.

Has anyone else done this? Thoughts and Opinions? This is for my 30-06.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    30.06 has a ton of great powders available.

H4350 is a very good choice but also runs a premium as it's the go to for many newer calibers. H4350 wasn't talked about much until the 6.5 Creedmore came out but then it disappeared everywhere and the price skyrocketed.

Price and availability check any of the 4895s, 4064, Varget, CFE, or a ton of others in the same burn range.

I have had great luck with IMR/ H4895 and IMR4064 in many different calibers.

Just my $0.02.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I did it for a 7x57 both powders same loads. Using both 140 and 150 grain bullets. Per John Barsness writings and testings.
    I do the same with H414 and WW 760 on a couple calibers per gun. Writer Steve Timm.
    A few of my books show the same thing or books I once had.
    But as you said use caution. Start a tad lower on charges.
    Not all chambers are egual

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    I had link edited to just 200 gn bullet and IMR 4350 and H 4350 but it didn’t transpose that way.
    to edit check the all (everything below that goes away)on each section and select just what you desire.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Accurate Arms makes a 4350 propellant too. Like has already been said, they all have different burn rates so load data isn’t interchangeable.

That being said, I’ve had great results with IMR 4064 in my 30-06 using bullets in the 150-168 grain range.

I’ve also had great results using AA 4064 too using the same weight bullets. Again the burn rates are different so load data isn’t interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    IMR was originally made by DuPont. They sold off that division in the 1970s, I think. The DuPont folks became wealthy making gunpowder back in the day because they built the plant in a circle, with each building having 3 solid sides but the wall on the outside of the circle was lightweight and could blow out if there was an explosion. They had many explosions, but they would only blow up one small building at a time.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I am getting a little low on IMR 4350. So I am considering possibly switching to H4350. Now I know I need to start at a lower load and work my way up. From the burn rate charts, it appears they are very similar.

Has anyone else done this? Thoughts and Opinions? This is for my 30-06.
    I believe?

Going from memory?

147gr FMJ/150gr Rem. JSP. 57gr H 4350 yields 2,700 +/- fps

165gr (can't recall the maker ?? H Day??) 55gr H 4350 yields 2625? fps??

WLR primer.

Bolt Mauser & M-1 Garand test platforms..

Hope this helps.

Both loads shoot two inch groups at the 200yd line....(when the nutjob behind the trigger is on it)

The 165gr is slightly more accurate at the 500yd line...(in my rifles)

Cases were Mil/Surp Lake City...variety of vintage.

Full length sized. Primer crimp removed (some swaged/others cut). Primer pockets/flash holes uniformed.

Trimmed to be .008" UNDER minimum...

Firm crimp. (wore a three stake STAB crimp die out...currently using an antique LEE COLLET CRIMP DIE)

The surplus 147gr FMJ's shoot 1-1/2" out of the Garand....at 250yds....

Hope this helps.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    IMR was originally made by DuPont. They sold off that division in the 1970s, I think. The DuPont folks became wealthy making gunpowder back in the day because they built the plant in a circle, with each building having 3 solid sides but the wall on the outside of the circle was lightweight and could blow out if there was an explosion. They had many explosions, but they would only blow up one small building at a time.
    Read up on the Allegheny Arsenal explosions during the Civil War...

Peruse the comments of one Col. McCandless (Commander of same)

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Read up on the Allegheny Arsenal explosions during the Civil War...

Peruse the comments of one Col. McCandless (Commander of same)
    There was a famous explosion at a plant in NY many years ago. The road into the plant was brick or cobblestone and the wood barrels sometimes leaked a bit of powder. After some dry weather, powder accumulated in the road. A wagon drawn by a team of horses was loaded up and as it started to leave, the metal horseshoes sparked enough to ignite the powder in the road, which then upset the wagon and blew it up. There were some witnesses that survived the incident. Wish I could remember where I read the account.

Top Bottom