• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I have found the laws on importation of Silencers for sale. As if your wanting to import them to sell to an FFL or end user.

What I have not found any laws or rules or regulations on is If your importing one for yourself and not for resale.

I recently took a trip to Norway, and will be returning again soon. Silencers are not regulated there. I can easily buy one. No license or registration needed.

The problem is bringing it back to the USA.

As a Form 1 is for making and a Form 4 is needed for transfer. But there isnt a transfer, nor is it needed to be manufactured as its allready done.

The one i want to buy is technically considered used. Although it is brand new and was only used once by the previous owner before he died. It was actually imported from the USA to Norway and sold as new. So technically soeaking I would be bringing it back home to the USA.

The price is to good not to make it worth looking into. I have no problem paying the $200 tax stamp like i have done for my other NFA items.

BTW I do have a C&R FFL although the silencer does not qualify as a C&R item.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ..It was actually imported from the USA to Norway and sold as new.,,
    Exported is the word you are looking for. Curious, does Norwegian law allow a non-citizen to purchase and then export said device?

At that point, I think you’d be looking at the intersection of NFA and importation laws which may not be favorable.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Exported is the word you are looking for. Curious, does Norwegian law allow a non-citizen to purchase and then export said device?

In Norway- as well as France and the Ukraine, silencers/suppressors/moderators are not regulated in any way and are available to purchase over the counter, with ZERO restrictions or caveats.

Although it's pretty easy for US manufacturers to export and sell them in those countries, the price points are small fractions of what they sell for here. Not many American companies bother.

A 10 year old can legally purchase a suppressor if they want...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In Norway- as well as France and the Ukraine, silencers/suppressors/moderators are not regulated in any way and are available to purchase over the counter, with ZERO restrictions or caveats.

Although it's pretty easy for US manufacturers to export and sell them in those countries, the price points are small fractions of what they sell for here. Not many American companies bother.

A 10 year old can legally purchase a suppressor if they want...
    That is true. Many European countries, suppressors are not regulated like here in the United States, and yes, they can be bought very easily, but that doesn't get you past being able to "import" them from there to here in the United States.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I still see this as a Form 4.

A can is being purchased, which already requires a Form 4.

I don’t see why it matters “where” you purchase it...you still bought it.

You didn’t have it.
    Then you gave someone money.
    Now you have it...that’s a purchase everywhere on earth.

But importation is likely the bigger issue IMHO, based on what’s been posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville

At that point, I think you’d be looking at the intersection of NFA and importation laws which may not be favorable.

Yeah if your in Norway, anyone can walk in and buy a Silencer.

You have to get export clearance, but since the item came from the usa, and from a usa citizen the its easily granted.

The trick is getting it back in thr USA from where it came. Thats the biggest trick.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have found the laws on importation of Silencers for sale. As if your wanting to import them to sell to an FFL or end user.

What I have not found any laws or rules or regulations on is If your importing one for yourself and not for resale.

I recently took a trip to Norway, and will be returning again soon. Silencers are not regulated there. I can easily buy one. No license or registration needed.

The problem is bringing it back to the USA.

As a Form 1 is for making and a Form 4 is needed for transfer. But there isnt a transfer, nor is it needed to be manufactured as its allready done.

The one i want to buy is technically considered used. Although it is brand new and was only used once by the previous owner before he died. It was actually imported from the USA to Norway and sold as new. So technically soeaking I would be bringing it back home to the USA.

The price is to good not to make it worth looking into. I have no problem paying the $200 tax stamp like i have done for my other NFA items.

BTW I do have a C&R FFL although the silencer does not qualify as a C&R item.

it has been illegal to import silencers (or any other NFA) for other than MIL/LEO since 1968.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    From my experience, you are putting yourself in between two government agencies; BATFE and Customs. This is never a good place to be, especially when they decide to see who has the biggest...?

There once was a man named Daniels, I forget his first name, who was in a similar situation, i.e. between two agencies. Research the history of the "Mac 10" series of weapons' and you will know what I mean.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    ill-stay-in-the-jeep-while-jim-imports-the-silencer.jpg

Top Bottom