• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've run nothing but Mobil 1 & a Motorcraft filter on my last three Ford trucks.

I sold the 2007 F150 to my BIL at 140k, it has 175k on it now and going strong. He swears it runs like new.

My current truck is an F250 gasser with about 50k. Since it's first oil change (I perform them all) it's been Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1 - every 5k - easier to remember changing at the 5's!

Since I change at such short intervals, I'm thinking about switching to Castrol GTX High Mileage synthetic blend, and the same Motorcraft filter. The oil is about half the cost of the Mobil 1.

Any experience with the Castrol GTX? Thoughts?
    Gun Zone Deals

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Probably 'cause I've never been good at leaving well-enough alone!

AND, forget to mention I've had a little valve or lifter noise at startup on a few occasions with the Mobil 1. Not often, and not related to ambient temp, but always concerning.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    You know mobil 1 of today is natural gas based and not an Ester oil base. It's not the same oil Mario Andretti used to pitch. It's no better than your average syn oil. Save money and use the castrol magnatec. It's pretty cheap and it clings to the engine.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    You know mobil 1 of today is natural gas based and not an Ester oil base. It's not the same oil Mario Andretti used to pitch. It's no better than your average syn oil. Save money and use the castrol magnatec. It's pretty cheap and it clings to the engine.
    I didn't know that.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I've used Mobile 1 in every vehicle I've ever had except my diesel (used Rotella). Never had any lubrication failures. It works for me even if it isn't the cheapest.
    I'm not saying it won't work, but I don't get the mobil 1 or nothing crowd. Especially when the biggest proponents don't know the truth. Valvoline and castrol are the best.

Another fun fact. Blend oil only has to be 3% syn to qualify. Kendall racing and Motorcraft both rock that 3%. Valvoline is a 52/48 blend.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I‘ve run Mobil 1 for years. When Costco would run their $10 rebate on the six quart boxes, I would stock up. I have been moving to the Costco Kirkland branded full synthetic as I use up my supply of each weight. 3 autos each call for different weight. A box of two 5qt jugs for a couple of bucks less than the 6qt Mobil one box. For the bikes I’m able to use the same Rotella synthetic on all of them

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I'm not saying it won't work, but I don't get the mobil 1 or nothing crowd. Especially when the biggest proponents don't know the truth. Valvoline and castrol are the best.

Another fun fact. Blend oil only has to be 3% syn to qualify. Kendall racing and Motorcraft both rock that 3%. Valvoline is a 52/48 blend.
    We’ve come a long way with oil formulations, and really conventional dino oil would work just fine in all but the most severe environments. I use synthetics just because I change my own oil and it doesn’t really add much to the cost per vehicle over the the course of the year. I’ve been specifically using Mobil 1 because I could catch the rebates at Costco and it works out the same or cheaper than the other brands. As stated on another post, I’m moving to the Costco private label because it’s an even better deal. Oil is oil, and I’m not sure if there is that much more protection brand over brand as long as comparison is apples to apples (synthetic to synthetic and same API, etc). Folks concerned about the oil protection should really focus on the oil filters instead. Bob is the oil guy website really gives some good insight into the different filter designs

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I've used Mobile 1 in every vehicle I've ever had except my diesel (used Rotella). Never had any lubrication failures. It works for me even if it isn't the cheapest.
    I use Rotella T6 in everything that uses oil from the gearbox of my KTM 300XC to my gas Disco II'S and my old diesel Sprinter.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I use Rotella T6 in everything that uses oil from the gearbox of my KTM 300XC to my gas Disco II'S and my old diesel Sprinter.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Rotella is good stuff, it's all I run in my KTM's, but Mobile1 for the 4wheelers. Just did a Mobile1 change today. Switched from GTX synthetic to Mobile1 several years back.

One day I'll upgrade to the 300, 250XC for now.
    YI8HRy0.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I ran plain old Castrol GTX (not the blend) for decades (only switched to Mobil 1 to keep warranty in effect on last two vehicles, Castrol was slow to get the new oil certification type). Never had a single engine problem. Checking in the valve covers, zero build up.

gasgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    Shell Rotella has a gas oil now
    Use the Diesel Rotella for 20 years
    Used Mobil1 until Exxon merged and the local Mobil distributor was kicked out
    They changed to Valvoline and retained most of the oil customers

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    All modern oils are very good. Synthetic oil is just a tighter range of molecular weight molecules than "regular" oil. If you change the oil (and filter) at regular intervals, the brand shouldn't matter, only the viscosity range. (Use ONLY the range recommended for your vehicle. The days of "winter oil" and "summer oil" have been over since the 1970s.) I've used Castrol synthetic and never had any problems with it.

Valvoline had a Chevy pickup that they bought because it was documented to have over 1 million miles on the engine. The guy had a route distributing newspapers to stores and he always had his oil changed at the same place. The engineer who was with the vehicle told me he tore the engine apart and checked every part, and every one was within specs. The truck did burn through 3 radiators, 4 generators, and a couple of water pumps. General Motors wanted nothing to do with the truck. They want you to trade in as soon as the warranty fades off.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Order yourself an oil analysis kit from Blackstone Labs, the data really is in the details.
    Unless you have a failure, why? Serious question.

Unrelated: I looked them up and even read a motorcycle sample report; I don't think I understood it. :(

Top Bottom