Guns International

I'm looking for good reasons to own a 1911, what are they?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    024D6ADB-F296-4D26-B0F3-2519D0B5A781.jpeg

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    since 1977 i have been shooting the same two series 70 gold cups since 1977 as long as they are clean and properly lubed the run like a singer sewing machine

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I have heard of (from LEO's), and read of too many instances of 9 mm not stopping the fight over the years.

And as far as civilians go, the probability of needing more than a few rounds is EXTREMELY unlikely ( a bunch of zeroes behind that decimal point probability).

Go ahead and start a caliber war if you wish. I know what self defense rounds I trust. And which rounds I do not.

And following your logic, why not just carry a .22 with even more rounds than a tupperware 9 mm?
    Really, a 5 or 6 shot revolver would do just fine for most outside of the house. Who hangs around for a shootout? I often carry high cap, but I would not feel under gunned with 7 or 6 or 5 rounds. Now for HD that’s something entirely different. Hi cap every day for that...

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    This thread is NOT about calibers, revolvers, CZ, etc. This thread IS about the reason(s) for owning a 1911. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Just because some of you folks have an eerie, borderline dysfunctional love affair with the 1911 and .45 ACP doesn’t mean it is better to run out of ammo with a .45 than have triple the capacity with a 9MM in a drawn out gunfight or conflict!

Best of both worlds for me, EDC X9.
    02ff70191aea3bad9411548f1026676b.jpg

I’ll still take a single CNS hit over 69 holes thru soft tissue w/o organ hits any day. Just like hunting animals, shot placement is key.

I’m always curious about stories like you linked…how much actual stress shooting do most LEOs do. Once the adrenalin starts pumping and the heart and respiration rates soar it gets real hard to keep a handgun on target in a fight.

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    in my youth there wasnt much stress involved in the ppc course
    12 rds AT 7 YDS
    24 RDS AT 25 however ther was both strong andweak hand
    24 rds at 50 yds kneeling prone and strong and weak around a barracide

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I don’t carry a 1911. But I do own a few. They are just fun. It’s tough to not like the work that went into a well made 1911, and how smooth everything is.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Best of both worlds for me, EDC X9.
    02ff70191aea3bad9411548f1026676b.jpg

I’ll still take a single CNS hit over 69 holes thru soft tissue w/o organ hits any day. Just like hunting animals, shot placement is key.

I’m always curious about stories like you linked…how much actual stress shooting do most LEOs do. Once the adrenalin starts pumping and the heart and respiration rates soar it gets real hard to keep a handgun on target in a fight.
    According to the article, he hit the perp 11 times with a .45, 4 hits were “fatal”.

The guy was one of those rare dudes with zero quit in his system.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    According to the article, he hit the perp 11 times with a .45, 4 hits were “fatal”.

The guy was one of those rare dudes with zero quit in his system.

Fatal hit isn’t a CNS hit. Put one through the brain bucket and all the ‘zero quit’ in the world doesn’t matter. Science and all that…

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Fatal hit isn’t a CNS hit. Put one through the brain bucket and all the ‘zero quit’ in the world doesn’t matter. Science and all that…
    Yes, I understand.

He finally stopped the fight in the second head shot he connected with.

Did you read the account? It was quite a gunfight. At the stop, the gang member rushed out of his car and opened up at the cop. The cop sent his first 13 rounds back from the driver seat through the windshield.

At the end, the cop, a sniper and master weapons instructor, had 4 rounds left in the gun (on his last 13 round magazine).

And LEO was extremely lucky that the goon, who ran dry in his first gun, grabbed a second pistol rather than the sks that was also in his car.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Did you read the account? It was quite a gunfight…

Yeah, I have read it. A bunch of times, the story goes back to 2013 or so. This is my favorite part of it…
    “Then I told myself, ‘Hey, I need to slow down and aim better.’”

When the suspect bent down to peer under the car, Gramins carefully established a sight picture and squeezed off three controlled bursts in rapid succession.

Each round slammed into the suspect’s head – one through each side of his mouth and one through the top of his skull into his brain. At long last, the would-be cop-killer crumpled to the pavement.”

Here’s an account from a guy that worked for me from 2010-2013 and led to comprehensive change to how our career field implemented approached gunfighting.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    There's a story from WWI of that, if it's to be believed. (It's hard to know if it's legit, propaganda, or heavily embellished) shows the 1911's usefulness as a hammer. Out there floating around somewhere is a picture of a US serviceman holding a Luger. I don't remember all of the specifics, but basically two US soldiers came across a German near their lines at night. Not wanting to fire a gun in the middle of the night while exposed between two armies, they opted to beat him to death with a 1911. They knew he was probably armed, but couldn't find his handgun in the dark. The next day, one of them snuck back out there and retrieved the German's Luger for his friend.

I'd agree that the 1911 makes a fine hammer.
    You should post that pic!

Top Bottom