APOD Firearms

Illinois racing to catch up with NJ, NY, OR to "...eviscerate their citizens' Second Amendment Rights"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    I was born in Buffalo NY in 1948 and left NY in 1966 when I joined the Air Force. I never considered moving back to NY when I left the service in 1978, I lived in MO for the next 38 years before moving to Texas 7 years ago. The reason was jobs were hard to come come by, and taxes were really high back then. Back then when I was growing up you could only hunt deer in NY with a shotgun and not a rifle so firearms were restricted back then too. I would never return to a state that didn't embrace the 2nd amendment, but in the end if the people just let what is happening in these states to continue, they damn well deserve what they get and voted for.
    Venture Surplus ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Illinois loses appeal over gun control law, leaving restraining order in effect​

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/il...-control-law-leaving-restraining-order-effect

Morrison said in his ruling that the plaintiffs are "being immediately and irreparably harmed each day in which their fundamental right to bear arms is being denied."

After an appeal from Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, Illinois' Fifth District appellate court ruled on Tuesday in a 2-to-1 decision that the temporary restraining order can stay in place, and also extends it statewide. Previously, the temporary restraining order only applied to the plaintiffs.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    So how does Chicago enforce their style of gun control. The Marshall Project has published a long article;

The War on Gun Violence Has Failed. And Black Men Are Paying the Price.​

In Chicago and elsewhere, gun possession arrests are rising as shootings go unsolved.​

A few highlights;

Chicago, the race to get guns off the street often begins with a police stop. Officers just need a pretext to search someone: A man in a white Ford Sedan blocking an alleyway. A bulge in a fanny pack at the beach. A man breathing heavily in a black Chevrolet Malibu as police approached. The smell of “fresh cannabis” wafting from an open window. Tinted windows. A missing license plate. Police reports show that the list goes on.

But in Chicago, a town labeled as “ChiRaq,” a “war zone,” and a “murder capital,” gun enforcement overwhelmingly focuses on possession crimes — not use.

The racial disparities in this enforcement are glaring. Although Black people comprise less than a third of the city’s population, they were more than 8 in 10 of those arrested for unlawful possession in the timeframe we reviewed. The number of Black people arrested could fill every seat at a Chicago Bulls game and then some; the majority are men in their 20s and 30s.

Attachments

• In-Chicago-Shootings-Go-Unsolved-as-Gun-Possession-Arrests-Rise-The-Marshall-Project.jpg
      In-Chicago-Shootings-Go-Unsolved-as-Gun-Possession-Arrests-Rise-The-Marshall-Project.jpg
      208.5 KB · Views: 40

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    If LEO’s attempt to enforce laws deemed unconstitutional by the courts, we will have a constitutional crises between the executive and judicial branches…IMHO it will kickoff the Big Igloo.
    If LEO attempt to enforce unconstitutional laws, I foresee lots of shot LEO. Maybe that’s what they want to have happen so they can bring in the military.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

Illinois loses appeal over gun control law, leaving restraining order in effect​

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/il...-control-law-leaving-restraining-order-effect

Morrison said in his ruling that the plaintiffs are "being immediately and irreparably harmed each day in which their fundamental right to bear arms is being denied."

After an appeal from Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, Illinois' Fifth District appellate court ruled on Tuesday in a 2-to-1 decision that the temporary restraining order can stay in place, and also extends it statewide. Previously, the temporary restraining order only applied to the plaintiffs.
    For more on this matter from the Bearing Arms blog is a discussion of the response to IL AG who doesn't want a preliminary injunction imposed.

Under Bruen and Heller, the irreducible minimum of the Second Amendment is this: States may not ban arms that millions of Americans possess for lawful purposes. That most basic of principles dooms HB 5471. The Court should grant Plaintiffs’ motion for a preliminary injunction.... Former Solicitor General Paul Clement, who delivered a gem of a response to Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul’s brief opposing a preliminary injunction preventing the state’s new ban on “assault weapons” and “large capacity” magazines from being enforced. Clement is the lead attorney for the lawsuit filed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Gun owners and Second Amendment advocates won a huge victory on Friday with U.S. District Judge Stephen McGlynn’s order granting a preliminary injunction against the enforcement of Illinois’ ban on so-called assault weapons and large capacity magazines.

p.s. Judge is Trump appointment. Elections have consequences.

Judge McGlynn's opinion (https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ilsd.94369/gov.uscourts.ilsd.94369.43.0.pdf) is a very good read. This is a man who gets it, and who is not at all interested in the BS that the anti-2A types are trying to spread.

Interestingly, his decision was much more Heller than you might expect, especially in this, the Age of Bruen. It just goes to show that if you read Heller as (I think) it was intended to be read, you can realize quite a bit of protection for the 2A.

Let's hope the next Presidential election has equally beneficial consequences for the 2A, and indeed all our freedoms.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    With the injunction in place, gun shops around the state were free to sell modern sporting rifles and magazines that had been off-limits to most gun owners since the ban was enacted back in January, and gun store owners reported big crowds throughout the weekend.

Attachments

• b5c05072-2a1f-4c4d-ad0b-cff00cded928-860x475.jpg
      b5c05072-2a1f-4c4d-ad0b-cff00cded928-860x475.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 36

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Judge McGlynn's opinion (https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ilsd.94369/gov.uscourts.ilsd.94369.43.0.pdf) is a very good read. This is a man who gets it, and who is not at all interested in the BS that the anti-2A types are trying to spread.

Interestingly, his decision was much more Heller than you might expect, especially in this, the Age of Bruen. It just goes to show that if you read Heller as (I think) it was intended to be read, you can realize quite a bit of protection for the 2A.

Let's hope the next Presidential election has equally beneficial consequences for the 2A, and indeed all our freedoms.
    <>

Could we even expect a legitimate 2024 election ?

<>

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    <>

Could we even expect a legitimate 2024 election ?

<>

Depends how we're going to define "legitimate"....and this is another reason why I don't want Trump to run. He freaks out the left so much that I believe they will take additional illegal actions above and beyond what they would "normally" take against any other R candidate.

I believe the system protects against most fraud in elections (some will always happen), but when Trump is involved, I think the left goes haywire, and a "legitimate" election is much less likely. If, for example DeSantis is the candidate, I don't believe the left will kick in that "extra" gear of lawlessness, and we can have a reasonably legitimate election.

So "expect"? Probably not. "Hope"? Definitely.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends how we're going to define "legitimate"....and this is another reason why I don't want Trump to run. He freaks out the left so much that I believe they will take additional illegal actions above and beyond what they would "normally" take against any other R candidate.

I believe the system protects against most fraud in elections (some will always happen), but when Trump is involved, I think the left goes haywire, and a "legitimate" election is much less likely. If, for example DeSantis is the candidate, I don't believe the left will kick in that "extra" gear of lawlessness, and we can have a reasonably legitimate election.

So "expect"? Probably not. "Hope"? Definitely.
    <>

News FLASH

They CHEATED in 2020, so far have got away with it.

They WILL CHEAT again, every time, until someone or something stops them.

Trying to placate our mortal enemies by giving-up on Trump is counter-productive.

And while at it, the left is always “lawless” !

leVieux

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    IL gun ban still in effect after SCOTUS denies emergency injunction. Baa humbug :rocket: :whip::bomb:

The Supreme Court has denied a request by the National Association of Gun Rights and an Illinois gun owner to halt enforcement of the state’s ban on the sale of modern sporting rifles and possession of “large capacity” magazines, issuing a brief statement to that effect with no noted dissents from any of the conservative justices on the bench

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Some follow-up on the situation in IL. A federal trial has started just in time to beat a new IL law which will limit where such lawsuits can be filed.

This video explains how in the future such lawsuits will be restricted to be filed in just two IL counties.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    If LEO’s attempt to enforce laws deemed unconstitutional by the courts, we will have a constitutional crises between the executive and judicial branches…IMHO it will kickoff the Big Igloo.
    cops enforce unconstitutional laws all the damn time.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Bishop On Air channel reports that 'King' Pritzker signed the bill to make it really really hard to challenge laws in IL. The state is a democratic trifecta so the Ds control it all and make any law they want. Of 102 counties, the law effective immediately limits cases to only Sangamon and Cook counites. Opponents say the measure is tyrannical.

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Bishop On Air channel reports that 'King' Pritzker signed the bill to make it really really hard to challenge laws in IL. The state is a democratic trifecta so the Ds control it all and make any law they want. Of 102 counties, the law effective immediately limits cases to only Sangamon and Cook counites. Opponents say the measure is tyrannical.

I heard another state was looking to do the same thing. I don’t understand how that’s even close to legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom